Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2010

Started by drici, January 14, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

The old proverb a game of two halves was spot on today. In the first half Burren were just over run, they couldn't get their hands on the ball around the middle and cross were attacking well down the wings and effectively switching the ball very well. Burrens cause wasn't helped by the fact that their defensive line couldn't seem to hold onto the ball coming out of defense. The number 2 in particular looked very uncomfortable on the ball and gave an awful pass whih subsequently led to the cross goal. Cross went in at half time with a well deserved lead and i thought my journey to the big smoke was pointless despite the Burren goal.

The second half started pretty much the same for the first 6 or 7 minutes the game was very scrappy. After this Burren started to get their hands on posession around the middle of the field and pumping the high ball into the square. There was no real flow to the game as Burren were beginning to get on top and started to pick a few scores off the best coming from a placed kicked over at the far side from a near impossible angle. With about ten minutes to go and hope of a Burren comeback the crucial goal came  a great finish as the ball was gathered after a series of fumbles. As the ball hit the net a Burren man lay flat out on the deck and the umpires 2 yards away saw nothing (why they are there is beyond me) At this point Cross looked disjointed and bringing on Bellew and Mc Entee seemed to be the wrong option as both men were clearly short of pace. As Burren were looking the more likely winners the Cross begin to use theri craft. Cross players began to go down injured and suddenly the game became disjointed again.  Burren has a couple of chances to go in front but again began to give the ball awayand didn't have enough options coming off the man. Cross then went up the field and chipped over the winner . Burren then spurnedz another several chances to level including a placed kick from the keeper but to no avail.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

winsamsoon

On the ref today i thought he had a strange game. No real controversial incidents but a lot of strange ones . Thought all in all he favoured Burren with a few harsh frees for overcarrying given against cross. But Cross are a synical team all over the pitch they were getting away with the small shove in the back. They were also given the luxury of taking an age on free kicks and taking the odd  yard. Everytime Mc Conville was taking a free the water man was over straight away and he took at least two mins for each free as did Hearty on his kickouts. Kernans kick during injury time used up 2 mins and the ref allowed an extra 16 seconds to compensate for this. The refs will have to cop onto these synical tactics and stop them spoiling the game.

All in all it was probably experience that won it for Cross on the day but Burren will be kicking themselves tonight as there was a real chance for them today.

On anothe note what was the craic will all the armed cops ?? surely this wasn't because of a bomb scare on the M1

imtommygunn

I would agree the ref had a funny game. Anyone from Cross near me thought he was shafting them and anyone from Burren likewise.

He also slowed Cross's, already very slow, free kicks down.

He potentially could have sent off Eoin McCartan I thought. I'm not 100% but did he punch McKenna(lower body)? McKenna is very theatrical mind so wasn't 100% sure if he was down legitimately or playing it up but I thought in this instance he looked in pain.

I heard Dawson shouting at Dan McCartan to keep marking where the frees were from and tell the ref so McConville couldn't steal yards.

winsamsoon

Yeah but mc conville is crafty he alerts the ref to the fact that he is marking were the foul was with his foot. He then lines up to kick it with the whole bending of the knees and steals 5 yards. The ref of course is fooled as he has seen mc conville doing this and he couldn't possibly steal yards

brokencrossbar1

You'd swear Cross played no good football the way some of ye comment on here, even Heaney admitted we're a good team.  Of course it was the "synical" fouling and stealing yeards, (which of course no team ever in the history of the game has ever done) that won the game.  I have been involved in enough games against the Clans to know what cynical rabbit punches are and lying down to slow the game so no harm to ye winsamsoon wind her in! 

Great win but could have been so much easier.  It always gives a team a lift to score a goal just before half time.  The thing is Cross had a to tag on a score just after the goal which would have deflated Burren a small bit.  I reckon if they had have taken it and picked off a score straight away in the second half they would have won with a lot to spare.  Burren though in fairness to them kept at it and if they had a bit more craft and experience could have taken it but Cross are the better team and the fact that they had a harder first round game showed its worth.  Good to see the Kernans getting back into the flow consistently and showing that they are leaders now that people doubted before.  Also it is great to see Titch playing well and I think Johnny is the perfect foil for him.  Mickey Mac is a confidence player and I know he will keep popping them in.  Danny O is very understated and under rated but has the makings of a fine CHB.

The final will be interesting as it will be a contrast of cultures and traitions and also of playing styles.  The Donegal men will park the bus, as they did yesterday and hope to beat us on the break.  much will depend on how much early ball the MF/HB line can get into the FF line.  With Jamie back it will be very hard to not back Cross but finals are funny things and how the Donegal men cope with the occassion will be as much a determining factor as anything.  Also I am glad we didn't coast the second half as any chance of complacency setting in before the final will be well and truly knocked on its arse.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2010, 01:56:37 PM
Hanratty playing!!!

when is a player sent off not going to contest it?

Referees should just not bother turning up really
It was never a red card thats why, just a poor decision from a poor ref.

mackers

At half time I was wondering how a team that played like Burren won a senior county championship, their marking was really loose, their kick passing was terrible and some of the free taking was poor. In fairness they showed they were a good team in the second half. David McKenna showed what a frustrating player he is. He played really well in the first half but was nowhere to be seen in the second half with the Burren switches paying off in the MF sector.
No harm to you bc, but Danny O'Callaghan has been a liability all year and Cross need to do something about the centre of their defence as PK isn't a full back either.
That said, anybody bemoaning the standard of kick passing in our game should watch Cross as the switch passes they use are first class and AK is a superb kick passer.
Maybe it was just the angle I was watching him from but why did McKernan not take the ball in another 10 yards before shooting for that last chance? He seemed to have a good bit of grass in front of him to go into.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

On the ref today he was very inconsistent blew cross twice for a throw but let Burren away with it a few times, once in the lead up to the second goal. How can you book a player for blocking off a defender but give his team the advantage, lead to the first goal? Also blew cross a few times when McKenna and S Kernan(I Think) made clean catches but were surrounded yet give Burren the decision when it happened the other way round. How he and the linesman missed what was a clear stomp is also un believable. Whilst Cross were culpable in Burren's come back, both Burren's goals should not have developed, poor decisions by the ref allowed the situations to develop. Overall the standard of reffing in Ulster is getting worse.

mountainboii

Quote from: mackers on November 15, 2010, 10:41:01 AM
At half time I was wondering how a team that played like Burren won a senior county championship, their marking was really loose, their kick passing was terrible and some of the free taking was poor. In fairness they showed they were a good team in the second half. David McKenna showed what a frustrating player he is. He played really well in the first half but was nowhere to be seen in the second half with the Burren switches paying off in the MF sector.
No harm to you bc, but Danny O'Callaghan has been a liability all year and Cross need to do something about the centre of their defence as PK isn't a full back either.
That said, anybody bemoaning the standard of kick passing in our game should watch Cross as the switch passes they use are first class and AK is a superb kick passer.
Maybe it was just the angle I was watching him from but why did McKernan not take the ball in another 10 yards before shooting for that last chance? He seemed to have a good bit of grass in front of him to go into.

Reckon they'll probably eke out an Ulster with that set up, but they'll need to change things if they want to go all the way. Paul Kernan is a very decent club footballer, but he's a square peg in a round hole at FB. Danny O'Callaghan is still fairly young and could very well go on to become a good CHB, but I'd agree he looks a weak link at present. If I were Tony McEntee, I'd move Kernan out to CHB and try a different FB. Options aren't great back there, maybe Brendan McKeown or even John McEntee could do a job. McEntee would be better under the high ball for a start.

imtommygunn

BC you are a good football team - that's the worst thing about it...

Aaron Kernan at that level of football is a class act. Every time he gets the ball he makes something happen. He doesn't even need to make surging runs - he just knows where to put the ball. Tony Kernan is also very very good at that level - he completely skinned McKernan for a class point in the second half. Clarke should add a lot too and Carragher causes a lot of problems with pace - don't know why he was taken off. McNamee - if he could shoot - would be a good one too.

The spine of the defense does look a wee bit ropy though. FB and CHB are definitely weak areas which could be exploited at AI level. I doubt Glenties will beat you though.

DuffleKing

Jeez bc, I'm surprised you are looking so hard for appreciation from the gaaboard community

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 15, 2010, 01:32:08 PM
Jeez bc, I'm surprised you are looking so hard for appreciation from the gaaboard community

I'm not looking appreciation DK just fed up with the whole "synical team" shite spouted all the time about us.  Of course we have played to the edge over the years but you don't win games simply by being "synical"!  Even Paddy Heaney, who really has no love for us admitted in his coverage today that we are a good team.  When we have played teams from down the country over the years the cynical approach has never been necessary as they generally play tough hard football against us, and in fairness, Burren played good football yesterday and could have won the game.  Also given that we are in the headlines more than any other team even the smallest little thing gets made into something that it is not, like the pre match parade before the St Gall's game.  Is it any wonder that other teams in Armagh have struggled to beat us, they worry so much about our synical tactis instead of playing their own games ::)

Zapatista

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 15, 2010, 01:45:22 PM
I'm not looking appreciation DK just fed up with the whole "synical team" shite spouted all the time about us.  Of course we have played to the edge over the years but you don't win games simply by being "synical"!  Even Paddy Heaney, who really has no love for us admitted in his coverage today that we are a good team.  When we have played teams from down the country over the years the cynical approach has never been necessary as they generally play tough hard football against us, and in fairness, Burren played good football yesterday and could have won the game.  Also given that we are in the headlines more than any other team even the smallest little thing gets made into something that it is not, like the pre match parade before the St Gall's game.  Is it any wonder that other teams in Armagh have struggled to beat us, they worry so much about our synical tactis instead of playing their own games ::)

It's the price of success and I'm surprised a good cross man still gets cross at it.

Milltown Row2

Lads Cross are a great team, any thought that they were finished after a poor show against Pearse Ogs has finally been put to bed. Cross have a winning mentality and they have footballing ability to match.

Can't see the Donegal Champions getting within 5 points of Cross. I'm not talking Cross up either.

what bonus territory for this team, reminds me of when we reached the final against the Loup and how Enniskillen Gaels reached a final in the late 90's. Should they win their county title next year I'd imagine they will become contenders for an Ulster title.

Any venue yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HiMucker

I think the fact that they are in this years final makes them contenders for an ulster title, No?  They were a good bet after the preliminary round, and anybody that stuck money on them fair play te ye.  Cross will be favourites and rightly so but i hope and think glenties will put it up to them.