Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2010

Started by drici, January 14, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Quote from: crossfire on November 17, 2010, 09:03:14 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on November 17, 2010, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: crossfire on November 17, 2010, 07:22:27 PM
Senior and Junior finals fixed for Clones.

Terrible decision. Shows a massive disrespect for the NC supporters. It's 30 miles from Cross to Clones and 80 miles from Glenties to Clones. How the fcuk is that fair?

I agree.
We really expected it to be in Enniskillen, but we dont make those decisions.

Ah it nothing against the Cross people. I know they would have travelled no matter where the game was and as you said they had nothing to do with the decision. NC supporters will turn up in numbers I'm sure. It just seems that they weren't considered when the decision was made on where to play the game.

crossfire

Not sure what criteria the ulster council use to select venues.

They dont use much common sense.

The ideal venue for last weeks semi final would have been Newry and Cross would have had no objections even though Burren played their first round game there.

Instead the Ulster Councill dragged both sets of supporters off to Belfast and a lot of people missed the first half of the game.

FermGael

With the current weather conditions i think it is a mistake to put two games on a pitch this time of the year
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

crossdoesitbest

Quote from: RMDrive on November 17, 2010, 09:08:41 PM

Terrible decision. Shows a massive disrespect for the NC supporters. It's 30 miles from Cross to Clones and 80 miles from Glenties to Clones. How the fcuk is that fair?

I agree.

Ah it nothing against the Cross people. I know they would have travelled no matter where the game was and as you said they had nothing to do with the decision. NC supporters will turn up in numbers I'm sure. It just seems that they weren't considered when the decision was made on where to play the game.

I agree this is totally an unfair call by the Ulster council clowns. Most people here expected Brewster park or Healy park and thought that Clones would not even be considered because it was so much closer to cross. Supporters from NC have every rite to be pissed off and question this decision but lets not forget it was not Crossmaglen Rangers who made this decision!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: crossdoesitbest on November 17, 2010, 09:38:08 PM

I agree.

I agree this is totally an unfair call by the Ulster council clowns. Most people here expected Brewster park or Healy park and thought that Clones would not even be considered because it was so much closer to cross. Supporters from NC have every rite to be pissed off and question this decision but lets not forget it was not Crossmaglen Rangers who made this decision!

Wonderful to see Crossmaglen so touched by the concerns of rival supporters regarding an inappropriate venue choice.  :)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Milltown Row2

Sure they asked us if they could play us in Milltown Row!! We refused (naturally) as we would never play an Ulster club game at our home pitch ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

crossfire

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 17, 2010, 10:28:12 PM

I agree.

Wonderful to see Crossmaglen so touched by the concerns of rival supporters regarding an inappropriate venue choice.  :)
It will be quite a while before the choice of venue for an Ulster club senior final will concern Cullyhanna people. ;D

saffron sam2

Quote from: crossfire on November 17, 2010, 11:39:23 PM

I agree.

It will be quite a while before the choice of venue for an Ulster club senior final will concern Cullyhanna people. ;D

Surely bcb1 would be concerned.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 18, 2010, 10:35:18 AM

I agree.

Smart arse! ;D ;D

drici

Naomh Conaill players delighted after tough Semi Final

Naomh Conaill of Glenties have built up a head of steam of late and that was emphasised when they ousted Tyrone champions Na Fianna Coalisland in the Ulster Club Championship Semi Final.

"I'm wrecked" - McLoone
"I'm wrecked. The legs are gone," said Leo McLoone, after the final whistle.

"They were a much harder team than Clontibret. They were very difficult to break down defensively. In the second half, we found it very hard. We hit them on the break more than anything.

"It is hard to play against that sort of game plan. We were trying to mix the short game with the kicking but that didn't work. We tried to run it down the middle and we were lucky in the end to get the free," said Leo.

The man of the match didn't dwell too much on the decisions of the referee on the handpass. "He was consistent on it. We were caught a few more times than them but it's hard to call, but we got the break near the end.

"I was happy with my own performance but it was a good team performance too. That's the main thing really. It's all about coming out on the right side on the day. We don't really care who plays well. I'm just delighted to get the win."

McLoone felt that the breaks went with them. "They got the break for their goal and then we got the break with the free near the end. That's the way things go. You can be lucky or unlucky but we were lucky today," who agreed that the side had travelled a long journey since that Saturday evening in Cill Chartha.

"It has been a very long journey since that day. I think that game might have made for us. We got together after that day and promised that we would give it a go. We trained very hard after that and we're starting to peak now at this time of year which is a plus," said Leo.

Toughest game of year - Dara Gallagher
"It was the toughest game we had this year. From start to finish it was tough. They brought a lot to the table today and it was great to come out on the right side," said goalscorer Dara Gallagher

"A lot of players, including myself, didn't perform at their best, but we got the scores and pulled it out. When we needed scores we got them, and that has been the way it has been this year, against Kingscourt and Clontibret too. "It's unbelievable," said Dara.

Dara also won and pointed the free that turned out to be the winning point and his days with Fintown Harps may have helped as he took the ball on the ground.

"I tried to flick it over him. To be honest I was a bit surprised I got the free. Maybe it was a free and he did slide out. The referee said it was a slide tackle.

"He was strict on the handpass and we gave the ball away a few times."
As for the goal, Dara revealed that it was in their plan. "Myself and Brick and Leon were talking coming up on the bus that it would be nice to get a goal today. It just turned out that the three of us were in the right place at the right time. It was good to get it.

"I laid it off to him (Brick) and I yelled 'I'm free, I'm free' and he gave it to me. I'll thank him for that anyway," said Dara.

The goalscorer also felt that Brendan McDyre was unlucky with his effort. "He hit it perfect but it was a great block from Peter Donnelly. He beat the keeper but it was a great save.

"It's nice to looking forward to an Ulster final and to be back training this week. It's going to be hard but I'm never enjoying training as much in my life," said Dara.

'Grass getting longer in Glenties' - Donoghue
With Crossmaglen awaiting Naomh Conaill in the Ulster final, Naomh Conaill corner back Tommy Donoghue hopes the grass keeps growing and getting longer in Glenties ahead of the game.

"They don't know much about us and the grass is long in Glenties," he laughed, after his side had come through a tough test on Sunday.
"I didn't know where I was at for the last ten minutes. It was tough going. We didn't play very well today but it was good to come out with the result," said Donoghue.

"It was hard in the fog. You couldn't see what was going on up front; you could just see as far as the '50'. But we could see enough; we're not making excuses.

"To be honest I thought the 'keeper was going to get that '50' and we'd have to come back another day. We weren't really on song. But to play bad and come out on the right side of the result is good; it is something we couldn't do in the last few years.

"I've never felt anything like before, to be honest. It is just dreamland. Cathal always talks about the journey we're on and it's great that the dream has not stopped here in Enniskillen.

"It's too long since a Donegal team have been in the final. There were teams like Naomh Adhamhnáin who should have done. We got a favourable draw this year but we still had to go out and win it ever week and we've done that. It's a credit to the management and those behind the scene."

As for the final, he said: "It's another game. We don't try to over-analyse the opposition in Ulster. We did a bit too much in Donegal this year. We talked a bit too much about Gleann tSuilí and Na Cealla Beaga. We know who Crossmaglen are and we'll go out and try and put in a good display," said Tommy

Good start - Waide
Naomh Conaill half-back Eoin Waide was happy to be in another Ulster final, something that is not often associated with Donegal teams at any level.

"I don't think I heard it too often, apart from the minors, that was the last time I heard it," said Eoin Waide.

"It was tough enough out there. We didn't let the occasion get to us and thankfully we got through although we made hard work of it at the end."

Waide said that they had worked hard on getting off to a good start and the achieved that this time.

"That's what we intended today. In the last couple of games we didn't get a good start, and finished strong, but it worked the other way today. But we held on and that's great.

"The goal was finished well with great teamwork between Brick and Dara. That shows the character of this team, the teamwork. That is just the way we have played all year; it doesn't matter who gets the scores.

"Thank God to be playing away at this time of year, especially when you're in an Ulster final. We did a bit of indoor on Thursday night, but hopefully the conditions for training will be good for the next few weeks."

Good start was needed - Thompson
The good start was also touched on by Naomh Conaill captain, Anthony Thompson.

"That was the one area where we struggled all year. We got a great start today but in the second half we just couldn't get going and they just piled more pressure on," said Anthony.

"We got a few scores and were unlucky for a few others. We had a few goal chances and they pulled off good saves, but thankfully we got over the line and that's all you want on a day like this.

"Leo (McLoone) was unreal. He really pulled us through today. Winning some unreal ball and setting up scores. He was a powerhouse today and it is great to have that type of player on your team.

"Not everybody played well today, like myself, but Leo pulled us through," said Anthony, who felt brother Leon was unlucky with his shooting.

The captain was very happy with the way his side took their goal. "There were three men who could have scored but it was given to the best man in the best position and that's the way we work.

"It's great to have another couple of weeks' training. It will be great to get back to hard work. It will be Cross in the final and there will be nothing easy, but we'll give it our best shot
"They will know little about us Woohoohahaha but we will go up there on the day and we'll see how it goes," said Anthony.

armaghniac

Some indications of chilly weather and snow showers for next weekend. Cross was used to that two years ago in Enniskillen.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 18, 2010, 10:35:18 AM

I agree.

You'd expect John Donaldson to also have a passing concern for his "club" while John Murtagh might take an interest in affairs from across the Atlantic.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

drici

Should be good craic in Clones on Sunday coming for the Junior and Senior Final with these type of promises below from the International Monetery Fund.
They wouldn't go and literally sell themselves out as well - WooHooHaHaHa.
Goes around and comes around - except this time for pure greed and not people.
There won't be any standing idly by
Dia Domhnaigh - should be a great Ulster game.

Éamon de Valera
The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit – a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens, whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of serene old age. The home, in short, of a people living the life that God desires that men should live. With the tidings that make such an Ireland possible, St. Patrick came to our ancestors fifteen hundred years ago promising happiness here no less than happiness hereafter. It was the pursuit of such an Ireland that later made our country worthy to be called the island of saints and scholars. It was the idea of such an Ireland - happy, vigorous, spiritual - that fired the imagination of our poets; that made successive generations of patriotic men give their lives to win religious and political liberty; and that will urge men in our own and future generations to die, if need be, so that these liberties may be preserved. One hundred years ago, the Young Irelanders, by holding up the vision of such an Ireland before the people, inspired and moved them spiritually as our people had hardly been moved since the Golden Age of Irish civilisation. Fifty years later, the founders of the Gaelic League similarly inspired and moved the people of their day. So, later, did the leaders of the Irish Volunteers. We of this time, if we have the will and active enthusiasm, have the opportunity to inspire and move our generation in like manner. We can do so by keeping this thought of a noble future for our country constantly before our eyes, ever seeking in action to bring that future into being, and ever remembering that it is for our nation as a whole that future must be sought.

drici

27-11-10 (Saturday)
Ulster Intermediate Football Championship
Final
Doohamlet O'Neills v Lisnaskea Emmetts
7-00pm   Breffni Park
B Cassidy

28-11-10 (Sunday)
Ulster Junior Football Championship
Final
Corduff Gaels v Swanlinbar St Marys
12-15pm   Clones
S McNamee

Ulster Senior Football Championship
Final
Crossmaglen Rangers v Naomh Conaill
2-00pm   Clones
Joe McQuillan

DuffleKing

Joe McQuillan has a fair record reffing cross...