Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2010

Started by drici, January 14, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aontroim

Quote from: thewanderer on November 01, 2010, 08:43:40 AM
St Galls proved yesterday that it didnt have the right attitude to win an ulster/all-ireland this year. you cant have players running around america and then returning expecting to beat tested teams. ie armagh championship was very competitive this year and either dromintee or st pats would have beaten galls yesterday. Their tactics of trying to physically compete with cross and then carrying the balls into tackles from defence doesnt work. still have to say that cross relied on oisins frees which he was carried for ps wish we had him and we would have a pocketfull of medals. as  for the clowns from o donnells this is a regular position with men being sent off. i beleive they have the worst disipline record in antrim maybe ireland with matches regularily not finished without a number of dismissals as proved yesterday, but well done grange. as for the irish news tipsters haha ur love of antrim teams is gone for the year.

I 'believe' you should stick to posting things you have a clue about - i'm certainly no O'Ds man but you are being very harsh on them with a ridiculous remark like that.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2010, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: SambaSaffron on November 01, 2010, 12:50:35 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 01, 2010, 09:07:42 AM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on October 31, 2010, 03:46:50 PM
someone said cross are f**ked if they need to bring back john mac,well if galls are bringing on ohare i know who is f**ked!

Very true, has he done any training since 2002?

It was very evident from the start yesterday that St Galls were trying to match Cross physically, but they went about it with cheap late hits and digs whereas Cross hit fair and hard.  The shoulder from Hanratty on Gallagher was immense, and it really lay down the marker to the St Galls players who until that stage were hitting men late when they were after kicking the ball or firing sly punches to the sides of peoples heads.  There was a huge contrast in attitudes from the beginning, as someone already mentioned Gallagher hitting ther ball out of a Cross players hands at the start when a free had been given, well alot of the time I saw Cross give away a free their players just rolled the ball towards the opposition player and got on with it without any yapping.  They seemed very well disciplined apart from the moment of madness from Morgan (did he slide in or slip?).  Tony, Stephen and Aaron Kernan seemed to have an unbelievable amount of possession, and they used it well.  The Cross forward line showed up well in front of their man each time and their link up play up front was very good.  The Red for Hanratty was very harsh, especially in comparison with the deliberate swing of the elbow from McGourty at a mans head moments earlier which the referee clearly seen.  How did he not get a straight red for that?
It was actually a foul. Gallagher was soloing the ball at the time. McGourty should definitely have walked though, contact or not he swung an elbow at the man's head. Not even a booking, not sure what the ref was at!

Also, some have said it wasn't a penalty for Cross. It was a clear obstruction, moment of madness from Sean Kelly. Often you don't see them given, but I think it was the right call.

Quote5.29 (a) To charge an opponent in the back or to the
front.
(b) To charge an opponent:
(i) who is not in possession of the ball, or
(ii) is in the act of kicking the ball, or
(iii) both players are not moving in the direction
of the ball to play it.

It actually wasn't a foul.

Mc Gourty probably should have gone for the elbow and I cannot understand how the ref missed it, or decided that it wasn't a booking at least.

thats the strange thing,galls had won the free and when mcgourty threw the elbow he hopped the ball so he must have seen it and bottled out of it

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: isourboydownyet on November 01, 2010, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2010, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: SambaSaffron on November 01, 2010, 12:50:35 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 01, 2010, 09:07:42 AM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on October 31, 2010, 03:46:50 PM
someone said cross are f**ked if they need to bring back john mac,well if galls are bringing on ohare i know who is f**ked!

Very true, has he done any training since 2002?

It was very evident from the start yesterday that St Galls were trying to match Cross physically, but they went about it with cheap late hits and digs whereas Cross hit fair and hard.  The shoulder from Hanratty on Gallagher was immense, and it really lay down the marker to the St Galls players who until that stage were hitting men late when they were after kicking the ball or firing sly punches to the sides of peoples heads.  There was a huge contrast in attitudes from the beginning, as someone already mentioned Gallagher hitting ther ball out of a Cross players hands at the start when a free had been given, well alot of the time I saw Cross give away a free their players just rolled the ball towards the opposition player and got on with it without any yapping.  They seemed very well disciplined apart from the moment of madness from Morgan (did he slide in or slip?).  Tony, Stephen and Aaron Kernan seemed to have an unbelievable amount of possession, and they used it well.  The Cross forward line showed up well in front of their man each time and their link up play up front was very good.  The Red for Hanratty was very harsh, especially in comparison with the deliberate swing of the elbow from McGourty at a mans head moments earlier which the referee clearly seen.  How did he not get a straight red for that?
It was actually a foul. Gallagher was soloing the ball at the time. McGourty should definitely have walked though, contact or not he swung an elbow at the man's head. Not even a booking, not sure what the ref was at!

Also, some have said it wasn't a penalty for Cross. It was a clear obstruction, moment of madness from Sean Kelly. Often you don't see them given, but I think it was the right call.

Quote5.29 (a) To charge an opponent in the back or to the
front.
(b) To charge an opponent:
(i) who is not in possession of the ball, or
(ii) is in the act of kicking the ball, or
(iii) both players are not moving in the direction
of the ball to play it.

It actually wasn't a foul.

Mc Gourty probably should have gone for the elbow and I cannot understand how the ref missed it, or decided that it wasn't a booking at least.

thats the strange thing,galls had won the free and when mcgourty threw the elbow he hopped the ball so he must have seen it and bottled out of it

Definitely bottled it and it would have been interesting what his reaction would have been had Johnny Hanratty had been the offender rather than the victim.

Two Hands FFS

Think Cross should be happy with the ref with some of the frees he gave them in the first half. Although I'm glad he didn't buy Francie's attempt to get a free when on the ground he put the head in one of the St Galls players knee & had to go off injured as a result   :D

Bogball XV

Quote from: KickHerDead on November 01, 2010, 12:46:31 PM
Hard to go past a defender this time of year, well i should say a good defender, which there won and lost (mainly the final defeat to Nemo) in early years that made them worthy champs last year.
they beat nemo, but lost to salthill in the final.

Galls are a good side, but this time of year doesn't see them at their best.  They had a big scare this time last year in the first round too.  Cross were impressive, but they'll not get it all their own way next time out either.

KickHerDead

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Disillusioned on November 01, 2010, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2010, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: supersub on November 01, 2010, 01:02:35 PM
Don't know if it was just me or did some of the st galls players look a bit over weight and not as trim as you would expect this time of year? Looked to be a bit of a gut on a few of them! (not counting the keeper!)

One or two certainly didn't look fully fit and when Darren O'Hare came on I looked at his gut and realised there is life in me yet :D :D

Is it not in O'Hare's genes to carry a pound or two around the middle.

Jeans, tracksuit, I'd say he's carry a pound or two around the middle no matter what he wears!!!

thewanderer

Quote from: aontroim on November 01, 2010, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: thewanderer on November 01, 2010, 08:43:40 AM
St Galls proved yesterday that it didnt have the right attitude to win an ulster/all-ireland this year. you cant have players running around america and then returning expecting to beat tested teams. ie armagh championship was very competitive this year and either dromintee or st pats would have beaten galls yesterday. Their tactics of trying to physically compete with cross and then carrying the balls into tackles from defence doesnt work. still have to say that cross relied on oisins frees which he was carried for ps wish we had him and we would have a pocketfull of medals. as  for the clowns from o donnells this is a regular position with men being sent off. i beleive they have the worst disipline record in antrim maybe ireland with matches regularily not finished without a number of dismissals as proved yesterday, but well done grange. as for the irish news tipsters haha ur love of antrim teams is gone for the year.

I 'believe' you should stick to posting things you have a clue about - i'm certainly no O'Ds man but you are being very harsh on them with a ridiculous remark like that.

thewanderer

[/quote]
havin talked to a number of antrim men today i think they do have a regular disipline problem. a number of games this year including one FRIENDLY against an armagh team struggled to be finished due to o,ds men behaviour.

drici

07-11-10 (Sunday)
Ulster Intermediate Hurling Championship
Final
St Johns(Antrim) v Carrickmore Éire Óg(Tyrone)
2-30pm   Casement Park
E Hassan

Ulster Senior Football Championship
Quarter Final
Burren St Marys(Down) v Coleraine Eoghan Rua(Derry)
2-30pm   Páirc Esler
P McEnaney

aontroim

Quote from: thewanderer on November 01, 2010, 03:53:09 PM

havin talked to a number of antrim men today i think they do have a regular disipline problem. a number of games this year including one FRIENDLY against an armagh team struggled to be finished due to o,ds men behaviour.
[/quote]

wanderer do yourself a favour and have a look here: http://www.sportsmanager.ie/t3.php?userid=&leaguetable=1&report=1&reporttype=mixresults&compid=13966&countyid=1&club_id=&sportid=1 then tell me where this crap about their discipline comes from?  You are listening to (and relaying) information from a poor source!  The 'worst disciplined team in Antrim' got promoted this season.

Milltown Row2

Having thought about the game I think had we scored that goal it would not have made any difference to the end result.

Certainly showed that you can't go into games without the right mental attitude or be complacent, especially in South Armagh.

Lenny may step down after this and someone else will have to re focus minds and prepare them for next year. It will do them no harm to rest up. Could even help the County team with players rested before pre season training.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Darren actually looked like he'd shed a few pounds.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Disillusioned on November 01, 2010, 05:02:02 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2010, 03:22:25 PM
Quote from: Disillusioned on November 01, 2010, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 01, 2010, 01:05:36 PM
Quote from: supersub on November 01, 2010, 01:02:35 PM
Don't know if it was just me or did some of the st galls players look a bit over weight and not as trim as you would expect this time of year? Looked to be a bit of a gut on a few of them! (not counting the keeper!)

One or two certainly didn't look fully fit and when Darren O'Hare came on I looked at his gut and realised there is life in me yet :D :D

Is it not in O'Hare's genes to carry a pound or two around the middle.

Jeans, tracksuit, I'd say he's carry a pound or two around the middle no matter what he wears!!!

Is Darren not son of PJ?

He is indeed.

Trout

No surprise St Galls lost when you consider their preparations in the last couple of weeks. They got what they deserved.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule