http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8455629.stm

Celt_Man

Quote from: mhacadoir on January 13, 2010, 01:18:40 AM
Seems to be really bad - it is on wall to wall on Sky News at the moment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8455629.stm

Jaysus sounds pretty bad...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

J70

Doubtful if there's too many earthquake-designed buildings there. 7.3 is a major quake too.

Gabriel_Hurl

I'd say there's not.

Haiti is the only country in the western world that falls under 4th World/LDC status

Celt_Man

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 13, 2010, 02:03:33 AM
I'd say there's not.

Haiti is the only country in the western world that falls under 4th World/LDC status

Well let's hope there isn't a Hurricane Katrina - esque aid response time to this
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Carmen Stateside

The good thing regarding aid in this country is that there are alot of aid agencies already set up in the country due to it being so poor!
Terrible disaster!

lurganblue

read the breaking news on the sky news app last night saying that a tsunami was feared after a large earthquake off Haiti. I'm assuming the tsunami never happened but i've just saw pictures of the distruction caused by the earthquake... scary

Norf Tyrone

Hears this last night around 11ish, and had to go on to Facebook to see a friend of mines latest update. I knew they were in Hiati, and wondering were they still there.

Thankfully they are back in Miami I think.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stevo-08

Heard reports on the news this morning. sounds like it caused unbelievable destruction. Terrible news.

Quote from: J70 on January 13, 2010, 01:55:23 AM
Doubtful if there's too many earthquake-designed buildings there. 7.3 is a major quake too.

Apparently Denis O'Brien has a building out there, and had it designed to withstand earthquakes. About 600 workers in the bulding, which stayed intact, and all safe. Thats some good news in an area completely detroyed.

mylestheslasher

I didn't see any pictures but the epicentre was only 10km from the capital city. Apparently everything is leveled, even building you would expect to be new (i.e. UN HQ, a 5 storey building) was flattened. No phones or electricity. You can only imagine the horror of the place. They were hit with 4 hurricanes too in the past months. Your heart would go out to the poor people there.

maddog

Heard on the radio this morning that there was 65 search and rescue guys from the fire services assembled at Gatwick with teams of sniffer dogs on their way out there. Fair play for doing something quickly.

MR E

Terrible stuff this. These natural disasters seem to be happening more and more often. Does anyone think its a direct consequence of global warming.

The US sent in aid this mornin as well. These souls need all the help possbile now.

MR E

Puts the wining about 'The Big Freeze 2010' into a big of perspective.

Square Ball

I have been watching this unfold on News 24, terrible indeed. From the BBC "Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive told US network CNN he believed more than 100,000 people had died" hope these figures are out.

as already mentioned these people have endured a lot over the last few years with other natural disasters
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

Quote from: Square Ball on January 13, 2010, 08:47:08 PM
I have been watching this unfold on News 24, terrible indeed. From the BBC "Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive told US network CNN he believed more than 100,000 people had died" hope these figures are out.

as already mentioned these people have endured a lot over the last few years with other natural disasters

These people have suffered for far too long, when the news broke they said 3,000 were feared dead, this is the first I have seen of 100.000. God this is awful altogether. Lets hope they get the aid they need for once.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.