Current Bands/Artists that Sing as Gaelige

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2010, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Was just listening to a new band there called Corr Mhóna, they've just a few demo's I think but all their songs are as Gaelige. Are there many other new(ish even) groups on the go who are writing their own material in the native tongue?

Go raibh maith agaibh.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Denn Forever

John Spillane can but don't know if he has much on record.  Kila as well.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

longrunsthefox

MR E

The Coranas sign as Gaelic was at their concert once done a couple of songs in it. Intach Maith.

thejuice

Cheers lads, keep em coming, I have John Spillanes stuff already, I'd forgotten about him.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Eoghan Mag

I'm hoping to record a young singer on Tuesday who has written 3 songs as Gaeilge. I've heard one of her Irish songs already and it is quite good. They will only be Demo recordings however and I hope at some stage soon she will get the songs properly produced and recorded.

ross4life

Quote from: MR E on January 07, 2010, 11:52:39 PM
The Coranas sign as Gaelic was at their concert once done a couple of songs in it. Intach Maith.

yep one of the best irish songs of recent times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l969H454bTw&feature=related
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Fear ón Srath Bán

Christy Moore had two CDs as Gaeilge: Éist agus  Éist Arís.

And, Na Casaidigh (originally from Gaoth Dobhair, Donegal), all their stuff is as Gaeilge:     
    * Na Casaidigh (1980)
    * Fead an Iolair (1984)
    * The Cassidys Live (1985)
    * 1691 (1991)
    * Off to Philadelphia (1996)
    * Óró na Casaidigh (1997)
    * Singing From Memory (1998)
    * The Cassidys-Na Casaidigh (2001)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

thejuice

Thanks Feár but Na Casaidigh and Christy are really well established at this stage now, I'm looking more for, lets say artists of less than 10 years on the go, and i'd be really interested if there are any that would be outside the genre of folk.

While not exactly what I'm looking for, here's just an example of Gaelige being used in a non-folk, trad context.

http://www.diddlyi.com/video/hip-nos-original-end-piece

Denn Forever

Have you heard Kila with the O'Snodaigh brothers.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Understand juice.

Here's a recent one from Dónal Lunny, but not what you might think at first -- it's played and sung almost entirely by the locals of Rannafast in Donegal.

Ceol Cheann Dubhrann

And another fairly recent one (2008) from Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh (Altan), her first and only solo album to date:

Imeall
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 08, 2010, 10:38:25 AM
Christy Moore had two CDs as Gaeilge: Éist agus  Éist Arís.

And, Na Casaidigh (originally from Gaoth Dobhair, Donegal), all their stuff is as Gaeilge:     
    * Na Casaidigh (1980)
    * Fead an Iolair (1984)
    * The Cassidys Live (1985)
    * 1691 (1991)
    * Off to Philadelphia (1996)
    * Óró na Casaidigh (1997)
    * Singing From Memory (1998)
    * The Cassidys-Na Casaidigh (2001)
I don't remember either of those 2 Christy Moore albums.  When were they released and was it European or US release only or what?

You ever heard of a Belfast band called Bréag?  They do a lot of stuff through Gaeilge, or they did the last time I saw them
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

thejuice

Thanks for them lads,

RE: Ballad maker, is that last one not called Níl na Lá? Never heard it called Tá na Lá before. Small point I know.