John Gormley and our incompetent Govt.

Started by An Gaeilgoir, January 07, 2010, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: Zapatista on January 12, 2010, 06:57:12 PM

It's the role of the state to protect it's citizens. This includes paying nurses to wipe dirty areses amoung other things.

Agreed.

Quote from: Zapatista on January 12, 2010, 06:57:12 PM
It's the role of the state to feed animals if it needs to be done.

No it isn't. Farms are private concerns and while I appreciate times are tough, its not the role of the state to help out an industry that was ill prepared. While I accept your point re banks, like it or not we can't function as a country without them. One farm won't make a difference.

I have no objection to the army helping anyone out, but if they are deployed it should be to assist in clearing public property or getting food and medicine to the vunerable, not driving sheep.

Why do farmers always have their hands out? Never happened until this generation got used to free money....

Zapatista

Peoples dirty arses are private property too.

You've a warped sense of responsibility and a very narrow view of how this Country works.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zapatista on January 13, 2010, 09:20:59 AM

You've a warped sense of responsibility and a very narrow view of how this Country works.

Well I clearly don't as the state agrees with me and didn't send the army round to help incompetent farmers.

My taxes shouldn't go towords herding your cattle because you dropped the ball. End of.

Zapatista

Quote from: dublinfella on January 13, 2010, 09:47:56 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on January 13, 2010, 09:20:59 AM

Well I clearly don't as the state agrees with me and didn't send the army round to help incompetent farmers.

My taxes shouldn't go towords herding your cattle because you dropped the ball. End of.

My Cattle? I live in Dublin and couldn't keep cattle in my postage stamp backyard. Never been a farmer in my life.

The state has a warped sense of responsibility too.

Your argument is contradictory. You agree that that the Government should help out some private business but not others because they are privately owned.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zapatista on January 13, 2010, 10:07:02 AM

My Cattle? I live in Dublin and couldn't keep cattle in my postage stamp backyard. Never been a farmer in my life.

The state has a warped sense of responsibility too.

Your argument is contradictory. You agree that that the Government should help out some private business but not others because they are privately owned.

No, my argument is that in an emergency situation, the priority for resources like the Army should be towords public infrastructure and peoples safety/rescue rather than assisting private business. Not to say that if a farmer needs a digout he shouldn't get it, but thats at the bottom of the list. But if a few strapping men is all a farmer needs to fix his problem, he should hire them and get on with it, not wait for the state to step in.

What you appear to be arguing is that the state have the same duty of responsibility towords sheep as it does people, and thats the warped thing here.

mannix

In saying that I live in Ballina where the footpaths were deadly for the last month, so I walked to archers hardware and bought a big bag of salt,threw some on the path outside the house and lo and behold no snow or ice since i started doing it. Its 4 euro a bag and lasts ages, just a thought.

magpie seanie

So the bad weather is somehow the farmers fault? This clown gets funnier and funnier!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: mannix on January 13, 2010, 01:13:44 PM

In saying that I live in Ballina where the footpaths were deadly for the last month, so I walked to archers hardware and bought a big bag of salt,threw some on the path outside the house and lo and behold no snow or ice since i started doing it. Its 4 euro a bag and lasts ages, just a thought.

Doing things for yourself Mannix, not allowed in this country, sit back and wait for someone else to do it. No Initiative allowed here.

dublinfella

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 13, 2010, 03:16:31 PM
So the bad weather is somehow the farmers fault? This clown gets funnier and funnier!

Moi?

Planning for weather, good or bad, is a core competency for a successful farmer.

Wanting the army to come in and do something he could easily pay someone to do for him is dependency culture in the extreme.

ludermor

You didnt address my earlier point, is it the farmers fault they cant access their land because the councils havent treated the roads? You seem to think that all farms are located in block and no movement of animals takes place.

dublinfella

Quote from: ludermor on January 13, 2010, 05:18:15 PM
You didnt address my earlier point, is it the farmers fault they cant access their land because the councils havent treated the roads? You seem to think that all farms are located in block and no movement of animals takes place.

Councils never treat minor rural roads. Never have, never will. It didn't seem to be an issue for farmers of previous generations.

Zapatista

Quote from: dublinfella on January 13, 2010, 04:33:45 PM
Planning for weather, good or bad, is a core competency for a successful farmer.

And a successful Government.

Quote from: dublinfella on January 13, 2010, 09:10:59 AM

I have no objection to the army helping anyone out, but if they are deployed it should be to assist in clearing public property or getting food and medicine to the vunerable, not driving sheep.

You're changing your original point. The argument was that the Government could have done more by deploying the army. You said they couldn't have done more as the army couldn't help. Many ways the army could have helped have been pointed out to you and now you're happy enough with some of them.

I would not have begrudged the army helping the previous posters who had problems on their farms.

no mo do yakamo

An amazingly quick response to the Haiti situation. Pity they couldnt be so forthcoming at home.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

dublinfella

Quote from: Zapatista on January 13, 2010, 06:01:21 PM

And a successful Government.

100% agree. They were caught dithering yet again.

Quote from: Zapatista on January 13, 2010, 06:01:21 PM
You're changing your original point. The argument was that the Government could have done more by deploying the army. You said they couldn't have done more as the army couldn't help. Many ways the army could have helped have been pointed out to you and now you're happy enough with some of them.

I would not have begrudged the army helping the previous posters who had problems on their farms.

If there is a problem on a farm that can be solved with a bit of lifting, the onus is on the farmer to hire in some help, not wait for a helicopter of troops to arrive.

Like I say, helping badly run business is bottom of the list I would hand the army of things to do in an emergency.

Rossfan

Quote from: dublinfella on January 13, 2010, 09:47:56 AM

And my taxes shouldnt be going to providing a free stadium for Shamrock sponging sit on their hands effin Rovers  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM