2010 FBD league

Started by GalwayBayBoy, January 07, 2010, 01:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on January 17, 2010, 10:48:43 PM
for those that dare to care... Sligo IT beat us today 1-7 to 1-6 Ger Heneghan made his return after a year out

I doubt if the return of GH will have the other 33 Counties quaking in their boots  ::)
Poor oul stuff yesterday but sure that was to be expected after the Arctic spell. I dont think we found any new talent yesterday and the Killelea at full back trial came to an unfortunate early end. Hope he will be ok.
Anyway I'd say the lineup next June will bear little relation the the 18 who saw duty yesterday.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

diehard

I agree we have lots of good footballers. And the likes of O Shea and Dillon are excellent.  However we dont have enough top class players.  Who in our defence can utterly dominate his position?  We would need a FB and CHB and a MF who are capable of getting the better of ANY opponents.  We are probably a good bit off that right now. 
Dont get me wrong - Gardner, Howley and Keith Higgins are good footballers and they give their best for Mayo but they are not suited to central positions.  They have not got the physique or power to make opponents worry about their vhi contributions when going into contact.
If this is true then it is a bit much to expect U21's to come into the team and dominate these central positions in their first year (or two). It takes time to learn how to play IC championship football at the highest level.  So........the building must go on for another year at least.  What is crucial is that we have the patience with whoever is selected in these central positions (assuming that we have the basic talent for these positions in th ecounty and that they actualy get identified and selected).

moysider

Quote from: diehard on January 18, 2010, 10:14:30 PM
I agree we have lots of good footballers. And the likes of O Shea and Dillon are excellent.  However we dont have enough top class players.  Who in our defence can utterly dominate his position?  We would need a FB and CHB and a MF who are capable of getting the better of ANY opponents.  We are probably a good bit off that right now. 
Dont get me wrong - Gardner, Howley and Keith Higgins are good footballers and they give their best for Mayo but they are not suited to central positions.  They have not got the physique or power to make opponents worry about their vhi contributions when going into contact.
If this is true then it is a bit much to expect U21's to come into the team and dominate these central positions in their first year (or two). It takes time to learn how to play IC championship football at the highest level.  So........the building must go on for another year at least.  What is crucial is that we have the patience with whoever is selected in these central positions (assuming that we have the basic talent for these positions in th ecounty and that they actualy get identified and selected).

Who knows how things will turn out. Here in Mayo people hope/expect  a great spine of a team to just happen. It wont. And even in the past when we had strong 3, 6, 8, 9 ( Cahill, Nallen, McHale, Fallon, Brady) we were let down by some fundamental failings besides.Consider also.
Nallen went from an U21 corner in 94 to best no6 within two years. McHale, Brady and Fallon were all late developers, as was James Horan.
It should be remembered that Meath won 96 with 19 yr olds at 2 and 3 and one of the poorest no 6s to ever win an AI.
Galway won their 2 recent AIs without vintage at 3 and 6 ( Mannion in fairness did well when switched to 6 from corner. But I dont think Johnno ever considered him a 6 before the Roscommon loss in 01). Seán O D was no all time great either.
Galways strength was quality attacking players who often played wide or in the corners - likes of DePaor Meehan Paul Clancy and Savage.
My arguement is that we have more than enough to get on with. Even likes of Tyrone have had to mix and match. I could make a point that Tyrone have won their 3 AIs without a top fullback and makeshift midfields. That of course would be silly because Tyrone dont approach the game like that. Fullback and Midfield is just another job to be done - not a bloody vocation like here in Mayo.

Foreverhopeful

should mayo look at going man for man. tyrone move gormley, mcmenamin, justin mchahon around as needed. Should we play our best 6 backs according to oppositions attack e.g. bring in kieran conroy if playing kerry to mark donaghy. play k higgins on m meehan against galway. Tyrone can mix and match successfully, maybe we need to. The backs seem to locked in by the number on there jersey. Tyrone moved joe mcmahon back to no.4 in 08 and it won them the AI.

Chimley

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on January 18, 2010, 11:41:57 PM
should mayo look at going man for man. tyrone move gormley, mcmenamin, justin mchahon around as needed. Should we play our best 6 backs according to oppositions attack e.g. bring in kieran conroy if playing kerry to mark donaghy. play k higgins on m meehan against galway. Tyrone can mix and match successfully, maybe we need to. The backs seem to locked in by the number on there jersey. Tyrone moved joe mcmahon back to no.4 in 08 and it won them the AI.

Remember the wandering that our backs did in 2007 against Galway to see that we don't have players that are comfortable in that type of role.

moysider

Quote from: Chimley on January 19, 2010, 02:36:32 PM

Remember the wandering that our backs did in 2007 against Galway to see that we don't have players that are comfortable in that type of role.

Coaching comes into it too. We ve had success in the past with Geraghty picking up Meehan, Heaney on Joyce etc.

muppet

Quote from: Chimley on January 19, 2010, 02:36:32 PM

Chimley that's just hot air.
MWWSI 2017

The flame still burns

western exile

Mayo 1-11 Sligo IT 1-11
NUIG 0-6 Roscommon 0-7
Sligo 0-13 GMIT 1-10
Leitrim 0-5 Galway 2-9

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: The flame still burns on January 24, 2010, 08:16:08 PM
Mayo drew with Sligo IT. Report here - http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/

Typical shite one sided report. You dont even name the opposition. Past your level of analysis. The obsession that is mayo football.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GalwayBayBoy

HS roundup.

QuoteGalway are the only team in the Connacht FBD League to have 100 per cent record after yesterday's second round action.

Joe Kernan's charges maintained their impressive start to the year with a comfortable 2-9 to 0-5 victory over Leitrim at foggy Ballinamore. The sides were level on 0-2 apiece early on before Nicky Joyce made it 0-4 to 0-2 with two points in as many minutes. As a poor quality first half drew to a close, Joyce cracked home a superb goal to give the visitors a deserved 1-4 to 0-2 lead.

Leitrim resumed with points from James Glancy and Colin Clarke to reduce the arrears, but efforts from Joe Bergin and sub Owen Concannon restored the Tribesmen's five-point cushion before another sub, Paddy Kennedy, put the result beyond doubt with a second goal seven minutes from time.

A last-gasp '45' from goalkeeper Adrian Faherty earned IT Sligo a 1-11 apiece draw with Mayo at Charlestown. The result was no more than the students deserved after Mayo 'keeper Robert Hennelly had denied them three goals with outstanding saves.

IT Sligo looked to be in a strong position when they overturned a 0-4 to 0-6 half-time deficit to take the lead early in the second half, but were then rocked back on their heels when Aidan O'Shea netted for John O'Mahony's side.

However, substitute Gary Gaughan's 54th minute goal spurred the students to a draw.

Roscommon bounced back from last weekend's defeat to IT Sligo with a 0-7 to 0-6 win over NUIG at Dangan. Terence Kelly was the Roscommon hero after he kicked the winning point from a free late on.

Meanwhile, a stoppage time pointed free from substitute Colm McGee earned Kevin Walsh's Sligo a 0-13 to 1-10 draw with GMIT at Quigabar.

The students looked set for victory when Galway star Paul Conroy's goal helped them to a 1-10 to 0-12 lead, but Sligo fought back to earn a share of the spoils.

mannix

sligonian, you must be great fun to live with. If a sports report by an amateur reporter gets you that wound up what would leaving dirty dishes in the sink or not taking out the bin do to you?
lighten up.

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 25, 2010, 03:40:30 PM
Mayo drew with Sligo IT. Report here - http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/

Typical shite one sided report. You dont even name the opposition. Past your level of analysis. The obsession that is mayo football.

Did you get mauled by the wrong side of the bed or something?

He names the opposition, most of the their players, their scorers and main threats and even forecasts a good run in the Sigerson for them. Did you even read it?
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

I honestly can't see WTF Sligonian is on about!
"A GAME we should have won but could have lost. So we make do with a draw. 1-11 apiece is how it finished in Fr O'Hara Park in Charlestown as Mayo shared the points with a much improved Sligo IT this afternoon," kinda suggests to me that Sligo IT were the opposition!
I think it was a fine report and while I'm at it, I make it a point to check your blogs before and after every game.
You are doing a mighty job and give WJ a good run for his money and that's praise of a high order.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

so it's Mayo in Ballinlough next Sunday ::)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open