Trivia help needed - Trick question

Started by oakleaf93, January 07, 2010, 11:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Puckoon on January 07, 2010, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 07, 2010, 04:40:47 PM
In fairness, Mickey Mc Whatever Junior is the same name as Mickey Mc Whatever.

The Óg's neither here nor there, and if one name is the direct equivalent as the other either as Gaeilge or i mBéarla, they're the same name.

Why is the Og neither here nor there?

Because 'Junior' is neither here nor there (that's what it means).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

I know what it means, but how is junior, or Og irrelevant? Most Ogs or Jrs that I know, always include it in their name, even when speaking their names?

I think if I was Puck Og, or Puck Jr, Id be a bit miffed to find out that part of my name didnt matter a damn!

Fear ón Srath Bán

It's not part of the core name, it's an add-on, i.e., it's not a key determinant. If someone shouts Óg any number could turn around, but if someone shouted Puck, it would probably only be yourself, even if you had an Óg on the end of it.

The reason they're Óg or Junior in the first place is because they are the same bleedin' name!  ;)

Puckoon

Well I am just going to say it, I think you are wrong.  :D

under the bar

Dunno what Peter Og or Iris Og would make of it!

Aaron Boone

Quote from: oakleaf93 on January 07, 2010, 11:30:19 AM
In 2001, a player won an All Ireland
senior title. In 2002 a different player with the same name also won an
All Ireland senior title. One football, one hurling. Two different
counties. Name the "two" players.

Frying my head

And could "an All-Ireland senior title" mean AI club winners as well, i.e Cross/Birr in those years?

ONeill

I was asked this question today by an oul boy:

Which two footballers (from different provinces) with the same name won an All-Star in the same position sixteen years apart?

Genuine answer of a similar kind to the subject of this thread.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: oakleaf93 on January 07, 2010, 11:30:19 AM
In 2001, a player won an All Ireland
senior title. In 2002 a different player with the same name also won an
All Ireland senior title. One football, one hurling. Two different
counties. Name the "two" players.

Frying my head

Was their a Joe Bergin who played hurling for Birr in 2002 who won all ireland senior club? Joe Bergin played for Galway footballers in 2001 who also won an all ireland title.

dowling

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 07, 2010, 07:00:57 PM
It's not part of the core name, it's an add-on, i.e., it's not a key determinant. If someone shouts Óg any number could turn around, but if someone shouted Puck, it would probably only be yourself, even if you had an Óg on the end of it.

The reason they're Óg or Junior in the first place is because they are the same bleedin' name!  ;)

So Óg is determinant then?

Or if someone has it on their birth certificate, such as 'Dowling Óg', is that determinant then?

ha ha derry

Billys Boots

I knew Séan Óg de Paor's grandfather - everyone called him Jimmy Power, he was the postman in Carraroe. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: dowling on January 07, 2010, 11:38:12 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 07, 2010, 07:00:57 PM

So Óg is determinant then?

Or if someone has it on their birth certificate, such as 'Dowling Óg', is that determinant then?

The core name is the key determinant, the Óg is a further qualification to that core name. If it's on the birth cert, then that would be different, though I would still contend that the core name is the same. As I said, the reason for the Óg is because the names are the same in the first place.

In any case, I think that the answer to the question is correct, the Óg's immaterial.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: ONeill on January 07, 2010, 10:16:55 PM
I was asked this question today by an oul boy:

Which two footballers (from different provinces) with the same name won an All-Star in the same position sixteen years apart?

Genuine answer of a similar kind to the subject of this thread.

Dermot Earley (Roscommon) and Dermot Earley (Kildare)...but 1979 to 2009 is 30 years not 16.

Zapatista

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 08, 2010, 12:59:40 PM
Dermot Earley (Roscommon) and Dermot Earley (Kildare)...but 1979 to 2009 is 30 years not 16.

Obviously the wrong answer ;)

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Zapatista on January 08, 2010, 01:04:01 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 08, 2010, 12:59:40 PM

Obviously the wrong answer ;)

Might be a misquoted question?