Mr & Mrs Robinson

Started by Orior, January 06, 2010, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

I heard today rumour that the fling was with another well known politician, and that peter will walk as well within the month

No idea who the mystery man is tho!

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: gallsman on January 06, 2010, 11:38:59 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 06, 2010, 11:29:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 06, 2010, 10:02:47 PM
Exact same as the previously posted one. Just because a rag like the Belfast Telegraph prints a sensationalist headline doesn't make it true. The only fact he stated was that the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination? Was he stupid enough to give his own opinion? Of course not.

You're told of him making his views on television... you want a link?

You're given a link to where he repeats the same views... they're making it up?

Jeezs gallsman, get your head out of the sand.

Read my posts Ziggy, I've already explained how that link proved nothing. I've also expressed my view that I personally believe Peter to be a bigot and that he too no doubt hates gay people. In the telegraph article all he does is mention scripture which, believe it or not, agrees with Iris' view! Playing the politician as always. Find me somewhere where the words "homosexuality is an abomination" left Peter's lips though, and I'll eat my hat.

Gallsman, you stated earlier that Peter's reaction was genuine.  I think that is nieve in the extreme.  Every move Robinson has made his whole political career has been carefully considered and choreographed.  This is no different.  He is affecting an open, soft and emotional side that has never been apparent in the most extreme of the incidents during the Troubles. Don't forget, these events took place last March.  I don't know of many men who would have been at their work the very next day if the night before their wife had tried to commit suicide (I have suspicions over this story also).  Why announce this to the world now?  I suspect the press were going to run with this or 'other' stories and this is his best form of defence.  Why didn't this come out at the same time as Iris said she had been suffering from depression?  All nice and early in the year to allow a long smooth-over period in the run-up to the General Election.  Something stinks here.

thebigfella

Wonder what fat boy Nolan will have to say about it  :P

Main Street

Quote from: ziggysego on January 06, 2010, 11:29:41 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 06, 2010, 10:02:47 PM
Exact same as the previously posted one. Just because a rag like the Belfast Telegraph prints a sensationalist headline doesn't make it true. The only fact he stated was that the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination? Was he stupid enough to give his own opinion? Of course not.

You're told of him making his views on television... you want a link?

You're given a link to where he repeats the same views... they're making it up?

Jeezs gallsman, get your head out of the sand.
I'd go along with Gallsman to a point, based on that article.
Peter is supporting of his wife to have those views, like he should as a good faithful husband.
His response to the Q about gays in the DUP suggests he is personally not that concerned beyond the political necessity to maintain an outward anti gay stance.
I'd go along with that he is a hypocrite, outwardly pseudo anti gay for the electorate but knows better.

Zapatista

Quote from: Main Street on January 07, 2010, 01:54:19 AM

Peter is supporting of his wife to have those views, like he should as a good faithful husband.

I don't think it's right for a leading ploitican to support the views of a biggot for any reason.

Edit - I suppose if the politican is a biggot too it's right to be honest.

T Fearon

Tiger Woods has just issued a statement categorically denying that he shagged Iris Robinson

BennyHarp

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 06, 2010, 08:46:59 PM
Quote from: stew on January 06, 2010, 08:09:55 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 06, 2010, 08:03:29 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 06, 2010, 07:57:05 PM
Wouldnt be nice knowing the wife was getting the hammer from someone else so i have a degree of synpathy for the Punt. Gerry Adams will be glad the heat is off him.
I must admit I felt for the man watching him on TV, he was obviously deeply hurt by her actions.  Still, it's very brave of him to want to save his marriage.

I wonder how many of you out there would do the same if your wife cheated on you.  I know a few couples where one cheated on the other and it took an awful lot for the other person in the marriage to try to save it.

Those of you laughing at their discomfort and going on about her religious opinions and his past have lost the run of yourselves.

I can understand why they laugh, two sanctimonious arseholes become the laughing stock of the wee six and they damage the most ugly political party in Europe in one go, I understand why they are laughing but I dont share the sentiment, I dont take any satisfaction from it at all, I just dont care and I say hell slap it up their political party.
I have no love for them either stew, the attitude some posters have pisses me off though, gloating and that.

This is probably the most hypocritical post i have ever read on this board!!
That was never a square ball!!

nrico2006

QuoteI must admit I felt for the man watching him on TV, he was obviously deeply hurt by her actions.  Still, it's very brave of him to want to save his marriage.

I wonder how many of you out there would do the same if your wife cheated on you.  I know a few couples where one cheated on the other and it took an awful lot for the other person in the marriage to try to save it.

Those of you laughing at their discomfort and going on about her religious opinions and his past have lost the run of yourselves.

I think its obvious that Robinson knew that all this was about to come out, so he jumped in there first with a well rehearsed performance which was more than likely influenced by one of his PR aides.  As mentioned earlier, he has known about this for nearly a year, and although it wouldn't be easy to do what he did I believe a lot of the emotion he displayed is to portray himself as a martyr more than anything, to gain public sympathy etc and all in the run up to an election.  As mentioned earlier, Robinson would be the first to share his views on a situation akin to this if it arose within another party, but as Gallsman stated the Robinsons marriage is private and has never been used to enhance their individual and ultimately their collective political worth, therefore we should as have sympathy for him and let them resolve this in private.  It was a nice touch by Robinson or one of his crew to have the 'Daddy' on the desk behind him. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

EC Unique

This could lead to a split unionist vote and our Marty as first Minister :D

I would not fall for the fake interview emotion. He has known long enough about this and is only getting his speak in first. More will come on this and will sway a few views. No sympathy for either of them.

Gallsman.. this has hit a raw nerve with you! Something in your own past?

Minder

Quote from: EC Unique on January 07, 2010, 10:08:30 AM

I would not fall for the fake interview emotion. He has known long enough about this and is only getting his speak in first. More will come on this and will sway a few views. No sympathy for either of them.

If that did prove to be the case what difference would it make? They are all in bed together anyway, pardon the pun.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on January 07, 2010, 10:10:07 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on January 07, 2010, 10:08:30 AM

If that did prove to be the case what difference would it make? They are all in bed together anyway, pardon the pun.

I know what you mean but a few others in this country could not accept it. Sharing power is beyond a lot of them so it would be interesting to see thier reaction to a republician 1st Minister.

Minder

A Republican Firat Minister that is being paid by the British Government. Has a funny ring to it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Geoff Tipps

Fully choreographed interview down to the best daddy in the world card or whatever it was in the background.

Larry Duff

never nice to see anyone's marriage in trouble. But on a plus side, I didn't think I'd get anymore wear out of this

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on January 07, 2010, 10:26:25 AM
Fully choreographed interview down to the best daddy in the world card or whatever it was in the background.
Don't forget the DUP plaque also, what about his statement?  Did you see the size of the writing? It was like the top row of an optician's test card!