Gaa full size 3 G pitches....

Started by Milltown Row2, January 04, 2010, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

With the weather as bad as it is, i'm looking for a 3 G pitch to arrange games on.  any help would be great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

We have the indoor hall which is 3 G

do they have a full size outdoor Gaelic Pitch?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 04, 2010, 10:53:22 PM
Our 3G can be dangerous and unplayable in frosty weather.  The water trapped in the rubber and weave freezes to form a hard surface like tarmac and ice can make the surface slippery.  However, we have much more snow and ice in the West.

noticed Crusaders played a game (the only one played) at the weekend and it seemed fine, the players looked like the had control

RogerMilla

Maastricht , HQ of Euro GAA , quality it is...
:)

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2010, 11:05:15 PM
Our 3G can be dangerous and unplayable in frosty weather.  The water trapped in the rubber and weave freezes to form a hard surface like tarmac and ice can make the surface slippery.  However, we have much more snow and ice in the West.

noticed Crusaders played a game (the only one played) at the weekend and it seemed fine, the players looked like the had control

Aye you could play a GAA match there alright ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Their pitch seems to be 4G.... I haven't heard of this but what is 4g??

Owenbeg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2010, 10:26:50 PM
With the weather as bad as it is, i'm looking for a 3 G pitch to arrange games on.  any help would be great

Claudy, bout 9 mles from Dungven have one. Why not book out the meadowbank in Magherafelt. I know from talking to the guy who runs it that stpius and the convent have both played games there and he told me a few clubs used it for friendly games as well. Definetly as big as a full sze pitch

Dont know if Nibbles would stick it thou, he would proabley get injured again!!!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: screenexile on January 05, 2010, 11:52:21 AM

Their pitch seems to be 4G.... I haven't heard of this but what is 4g??

4G is long piled synthetic turf which does not require infill to give the surface its performance. The memory in the turf's pile ensures that the synthetic turf is lifted back to an upright position, even in the absence of infill. I play 7-a-side soccer at Crusaders with a few lads on Mon & Wed evenings (half-pitch). We played there last night, the surface was frozen and slightly slippy but not perfect. It fariness it was more frozen under the stands (i.e. the shades) than in the centre. Moulded studs/blades a must!! I'd imagine for GAA which precludes sliding tackles (in theory!) that it would not be ideal but is a great job to play soccer on!

Two Hands FFS

Milltown...St Malachy's?? Probably a bit small

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on January 05, 2010, 02:17:50 PM
Milltown...St Malachy's?? Probably a bit small

Or, Whiterock leisure centre (only up the road!). They've a fansastic 3G pitch there with GAA goal-posts complete with fencing. I think Gort Na Mona might use it for 11-a-side winter training too..

Archie Mitchell

Think there is a new 3G pitch off the Ormeau road, that Shaftsbury recreation place.

Milltown Row2

cheers lads, my prep for this match has been terible. unable to get challenge games at all due to the cold snap. home pitch rock hard!!!

its been a disaster >:(

illdecide

Crusaders 3G pitch is shit and is to me removed and replaced with another carpet. As for the difference between a 3G and a 4G pitch i'm not sure TBH but i'd say a 4G pitch would still need some sort of Engineered base under the carpet or it would be like running on the road but as i say i've no experience of a 4G pitch yet but i'm sure we'll have one to do soon enough...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnneycool

Quote from: illdecide on January 06, 2010, 10:18:01 AM
Crusaders 3G pitch is shit and is to me removed and replaced with another carpet. As for the difference between a 3G and a 4G pitch i'm not sure TBH but i'd say a 4G pitch would still need some sort of Engineered base under the carpet or it would be like running on the road but as i say i've no experience of a 4G pitch yet but i'm sure we'll have one to do soon enough...

According to a fellow worker, the Crusaders pitch is 4G and is indeed shit as they played a game on it the day after it was completed when you're supposed to let it bed in for a week or two.