Football V Rugby - Which is better in Croke Park?

Started by Cloc Mor, February 04, 2007, 05:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

After watching the Kerry/Mayo game I switched over several times and found the Rugby much better than the 'shit' (rather than puke) football served up by both teams.  I appreciate that its 'only' national league but compared with the all action nature of Rugby why do our games look so poor in comparison?What comparing the Dublin/Tyrone game against International rugby?

An Gaeilgoir

The rugby was been played in an international stadium been watched by 70000 spectators with the roof closed. Castlebar had 6000 supporters,both Mayo and Kerry are playing their first game of the year. I could go on......

Malone Aristocrat

you're comparing international test rugby with the national league?

what if you compared an all ireland league game to an all ireland 1/4 final in a packed croke park? i hate to say it but ffs cop on.

Cloc Mor

Quoteyou're comparing international test rugby with the national league?

what if you compared an all ireland league game to an all ireland 1/4 final in a packed croke park? i hate to say it but ffs cop on.

All Ireland 1/4 final - what might this be then?

Cloc Mor

Posted by: 5iveTimes  
Insert Quote
Quote from: Cloc Mor on Today at 05:30:34 PM

The game before the Semi-Final perhaps?

Fair enough but I didn't realise that we had actual quarter finals in the GAA calender.  Perhaps you could forward these details to me from GAC where they are known as All Ireland quarter finals.

J70

Quote from: Cloc Mor on February 04, 2007, 05:49:10 PM
Posted by: 5iveTimes 
Insert Quote
Quote from: Cloc Mor on Today at 05:30:34 PM

The game before the Semi-Final perhaps?

Fair enough but I didn't realise that we had actual quarter finals in the GAA calender.  Perhaps you could forward these details to me from GAC where they are known as All Ireland quarter finals.

From the GAA website:

Bank of Ireland Football Championship Qualifier Structure

Round 1 - This Round shall include all the counties that do not qualify for the Provincial Semi-Finals. An Open Draw shall be made to give eight pairings.

Round 2 - Each of the eight defeated teams in the Provincial Semi-Finals shall play against the eight winners from Round 1. A draw shall be made to determine the eight pairings.

Round 3 - The eight winners from Round 2 shall participate in this Round. An Open draw shall be made to determine the four pairings.

Round 4 - Each of the four teams defeated in the Provincial Finals shall play against the four winners from Round 3. A draw shall be made to determine the four pairings.

All Ireland Quarter-Finals: Each of the four Provincial Champions shall play one of the four winners from Round 4. A draw shall be made to determine the four pairings.

All Ireland Semi-Finals: The All Ireland Semi-Finals shall be on a Provincial rots basis, initially determined by the Central Council. If a Provincial Championship winning team is defeated in its Quarter-Final, the team that defeats it shall take its place in the Semi-Final.

Cloc Mor

Just testing - good stuff & you may progress to the next level.   ;D

paddypastit

J70 just beat me to it but stricly speaking, according to the GAA calendar as per the GAA website, there is in fact no such competition at all known as the 'All Ireland' football championship. it is now the 'Bank of Ireland' football championship and I happen to know that the GAA has contracted with said sponsor to that effect.

Getting back to the point of the mail, surely a fairer comparison is the 'Bank of Ireland' championship final compared with Buccaneers vs. Shannon in the first weekend of the AIB League (as it is is contractually known, just to keep everything in proper order) Dubarry Park, both of which would be played around the middle of September.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Cloc Mor

Back to the business - was last night's game more exciting than the Rugby on the box today?

paddypastit

It's an entierly different question to what you first asked but - personal opinion - no, definitely not.

I was in Croke Park last night and it was nowhere near as exciting as watching today's match on the box.

In fact last night, up to the last fifteen minutes was dull but then there wasn't a lot at stake last night. Also a lot of the people there last night were only there so they could say that they were there and they weren't hugely committed - committed supporters are a big contributor to a sense of excitement at or around a match.

A fairer comparison would be a football or hurling championship semi final or final in Croke park with today's, or indeed next Sunday's, rugby match.  In that case I would suggest that there would be little or no difference, assuming that the match was between two resonably matched teams

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

paddypastit

Quoteour secondary competition got 82k into Croke Park in Feb

Eh... steady on.  A one off hyped event which just happened to be a NL game.

It could have been an inter - provincial match (there's an idea) or a club match

Canalman

From what I could glean after the match the vast majority of the punters enjoyed themselves despite the result going against the home team.

Paddypastit, you must be an overly critical indivdual,or heaven forbid not too familiar with the fare usually thrown up in the NFL in the first round. Don't  forget that the edge of a knockout game was not there and that it was both teams' first real competitive game(sorry O'Byrne and McKenna Cups) for circa 5 months.

I was at the Ireland/Wales rugby game last year in Lansdowne and it was the most insipid game I was ever at, my first and last rugby game I hasten to add.

paddypastit

Quotean overly critical indivdual,or heaven forbid not too familiar with the fare usually thrown up in the NFL in the first round
I'm all too familiar with the fare and form of the NFL - hell I spent years actively contributing to it in one form or other so guilty as charged on the first count I guess.

I'm sure the Dubs would love to play more leagues in Croker and although I'm not a Dub, I'd go given that I leive here, as I have done to Parnell for evening games as to be honest it is much easier to work into the family weekend than a Sunday afternoon. 

As for the GAA's marketing prowess, I'm not holding my breath. I think it was the GPA that were quoted in one of the papers last week saying "any eejit can give 100k to an ad agency - there's no strategy in that".  They mightn't be everybody's cupan tae but I'd be in agreement with that statement.  How many years of ignorance and ineptitude to the need to market the games has it taken to wake them up. What has changed suddenly that we should belive them now. We shouldn't believe it until we see it