Irish actors in awards controversy

Started by GalwayBayBoy, December 22, 2009, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteAwards list calls Irish stars British

Two Irish stars have been bizarrely nominated in the British acting categories for the London Film Critics' Circle Awards.

'The Lovely Bones' star Saoirse Ronan, born in New York and raised in Carlow, is shortlisted in the Young British Performer of the Year category.

The German-born and Kerry-raised actor Michael Fassbender is also nominated in the Best British Actor in a Supporting Role category for his performance in 'Fish Tank'.

Joining Ronan on the Young Performer shortlist are: Katie Jarvis ('Fish Tank'), Aaron Johnson ('Nowhere Boy' and 'Dummy'), George MacKay ('The Boys Are Back') and Bill Milner ('Is Anybody There?' and 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll').

Joining Fassbender on the Supporting Actor shortlist are: John Hurt ('44 Inch Chest'), Jason Isaacs ('Good'), Alfred Molina ('An Education') and Timothy Spall ('The Damned United').

There are no international categories for Young Performer of the Year or Supporting Actor at the awards.

The winners will be announced on 18 February 2010.

leenie

them brits ... always trying to take something......

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

tyronefan

Brits always claim them when they are doing well

Darren Clarke was British when he was winning  now he is Irish

Celt_Man

Same with David Coulthard was the same, British when he won otherwise he was just a Scot... :-\
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

British films hence nominated in the British acting categories for the London Film Critics' Circle Awards.

I'm sure these acxtors can look after themselves without us getting on our high horse.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

longrunsthefox

Same with Gregory Campbell when Tyrone won All Ireland we were British and now we're GAA-SF-IRA   8)

delboy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 22, 2009, 02:13:42 PM
QuoteAwards list calls Irish stars British

Two Irish stars have been bizarrely nominated in the British acting categories for the London Film Critics' Circle Awards.

'The Lovely Bones' star Saoirse Ronan, born in New York and raised in Carlow, is shortlisted in the Young British Performer of the Year category.

The German-born and Kerry-raised actor Michael Fassbender is also nominated in the Best British Actor in a Supporting Role category for his performance in 'Fish Tank'.

Joining Ronan on the Young Performer shortlist are: Katie Jarvis ('Fish Tank'), Aaron Johnson ('Nowhere Boy' and 'Dummy'), George MacKay ('The Boys Are Back') and Bill Milner ('Is Anybody There?' and 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll').

Joining Fassbender on the Supporting Actor shortlist are: John Hurt ('44 Inch Chest'), Jason Isaacs ('Good'), Alfred Molina ('An Education') and Timothy Spall ('The Damned United').

There are no international categories for Young Performer of the Year or Supporting Actor at the awards.

The winners will be announced on 18 February 2010.

I doubt very much they will mind be acknowledged in such a way, better than no acknowledgement.

redhugh

"........he announced that the winner of the 1995 Nobel prize for literarure was a British poet,
Seamus Heaney from Londonderry sez he,as cool as could be,
so I roared out for tea and toasted muffins,and a pair of hard boiled eggs to calm me nerves,
you never claimed Goerge Best nor Alex Higgins,nor you never claimed Belaghey's other boys.
But that's the way things are upon the mainland,where the quarehawks are still sucking,
the wee small birds' eggs dry...."

longrunsthefox

Quote from: redhugh on December 22, 2009, 03:41:55 PM
"........he announced that the winner of the 1995 Nobel prize for literarure was a British poet,
so I roared out for tea and toasted muffins,and a pair of hard boiled eggs to calm me nerves,
you never claimed Goerge Best nor Alex Higgins,nor you never claimed Belaghey's other boys.
But that's the way things are upon the mainland,where the quarehawks are still sucking,

Christy?...

redhugh

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 22, 2009, 03:44:42 PM
Quote from: redhugh on December 22, 2009, 03:41:55 PM

Yeah - On the mainland.

Christy?...

SuperMac

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think it was Richard Harris who said " If I win an Oscar they claim I'm British, but if I'm drunk lying on the floor I'm Irish;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SuperMac on December 22, 2009, 04:31:39 PM
I'm not a 100% sure, but I think it was Richard Harris who said...

Not quite, 'twas Brenda Fricker: "... lying drunk at the airport you're Irish. When you win an Oscar you're British.;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Anyone see Cat Deely interview Samuel L. Jackson a few years (maybe about 5 or more years ago) back. She asked him confidently what he thought of new British acting talent in Hollywood. He said "like who"? To which she responded Colin Farrell. Samuel replied that Colin Farrells not British, hes from Dublin. Cat then replied (laughing) "we like to claim his British hes one of us. Then Samuel got angry and said, "Thats whats wrong with you British, always taking over or claiming things that aren't your own. I know Colin, and I can tell you for sure he wouldn't be happy you calling him British, hes an Irishman" Result red faced Cat Deely, end of interview, classic. (Obviously thats from memory about 5 years ago, can't find it on Youtube)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

haranguerer

aye, heard it not long after - sent to me in an email. cant find it now - my respect for him grew even more!!

haranguerer

Got a transcript - thought it wasnt Cat Deeley. SamueLs ans was even better

In a recent Samuel L. Jackson interview with Kate Thornton on British TV about his new movie SWAT the following convo took place

Kate: What's it like working with Colin Farrell, cause he is just so hot in the UK right now

Samuel: He's pretty hot in the US too

Kate: Yea, but he's one of our own!

Samuel: Isn't he from Ireland?

Kate: Yea but we claim him because Ireland is beside us

Samuel: Ya see that's your problem right there. You British keep claiming people that don't belong to you. We had that problem in America too – it was called slavery