Adams' brother sought over alleged abuse

Started by Denn Forever, December 18, 2009, 09:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

That article is absolutely shocking.That a mainstream paper like the belfast telegraph should publish something like that beggars belief. It is an absolute disgrace - astounding. The editor should be sacked for giving shite like that credibility.

Trevor Hill

What else would you expect from the Belfast Telegraph?

Puckoon

Quote from: hardstation on December 22, 2009, 10:49:04 PM
Thousands of young men were shot in the legs by them. They were made to lie on the ground and a gun was brought to the backs of their legs in a form of abuse that has strong sexual resonances.

Does anyone know what this is about?

Its right up there with requesting a psychosexual explanation of the IRA campaign.

Possibly the worst bit of journalism Ive ever seen.

longrunsthefox

Atrocious piece by O'Doherty but he hates the Christian Brothers (not his first article on them)  and republicans, so it was a great opportunity to have a lash at both. Total agenda fuelled.

Trevor Hill

An international warrant needed to arrest a brother of Gerry Adams who is wanted on sex abuse charges could take six weeks to obtain, it was revealed today.

Liam Adams handed himself in to gardaí on Monday evening but officers were unable to detain him because authorities in the North had not applied for the correct warrant.

The younger brother of the Sinn Féin president is facing 23 charges of raping and molesting his daughter, Aine Tyrell, in the North in the 1970s and 1980s.

He walked into a Garda station in Co Sligo days after the republican leader issued a public appeal urging him to face up to the allegations levelled against him.

But Police Service of Northern Ireland sources said it would be late January "at the earliest" before they could obtain a European Arrest Warrant which would enable gardaí to take Adams into custody and hand him over.

"The situation won't change in the near future unless he hands himself in to police in Northern Ireland," the source added.

The police have been hunting for Adams since last November when he failed to turn up for a court appearance in Belfast. However, it has now emerged that the warrant issued for his arrest then only covered the UK.

Adams, who is in his 50s, is understood to have spoken for a number of hours with senior Garda detectives about his alleged crimes on Monday before leaving the station.

He apparently stayed at a guest house in Sligo that night, but gave no permanent address.

As well as urging his brother to come forward, Gerry Adams has also revealed that his father, Gerry Adams Senior, abused family members before his death.

The allegations surrounding Liam Adams emerged on Friday when his daughter, now 36, waived her right to anonymity and went public with her claims in a documentary on Ulster Television.

In a follow-up TV interview for RTÉ on Sunday, Gerry Adams then disclosed his father's dark past for the first time, claiming Mr Adams Snr "emotionally, physically and sexually abused" a number of his siblings over many years.

The west Belfast MP also admitted he could have done more to stop his brother working with children in the years after he found out about his niece's allegations.

But the Sinn Féin leader said the police and social services also had questions to answer on how Liam Adams was able to get a job as a youth worker, despite both agencies being aware that Ms Tyrell had made claims that he raped and molested her.

Liam Adams worked in the Clonard Youth Centre in Belfast from 1998 to 2003.

During this period he also worked in the Muirhevnamor Community Youth Project in Dundalk, Co Louth. He was then involved with another youth project in west Belfast from 2004 to 2006.

All three organisations said they were not aware of the claims against him.

He obtained the positions before vetting checks for people working with children in Northern Ireland became compulsory (the law changed in 2005) and it is understood he was not subjected to any such procedure.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 22, 2009, 10:59:41 PM
Atrocious piece by O'Doherty but he hates the Christian Brothers (not his first article on them)  and republicans, so it was a great opportunity to have a lash at both. Total agenda fuelled.
Funny thing is, he was educated by none other than the Christian Brothers, lived in the heart of West Belfast during the Troubles, Andytown I believe and republicans were all around him - I have met him a few times and never been impressed with him.  I may not like the Shinners but I don't go after them like a dog with a bone like he has for over 20 years.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Hurler on the Bitch

Gerry of course deflects the blame away from him to those - such as the Social Services and RUC - who, he claims, have questions to answer as to how the bro got a job as a youth worker. Hold on, hold on! Nearly every feckin youth / community / development / worker in the west - all funded by the British - is a Sinn Fein card carrier .... So, with a name like Liam Adams, and with the face to match, you are elected!!!!

Trevor Hill

Hurler, although Adams has a lot of questions to answer, the Police and Social Services are not entirely blameless here either. The Police knew of these allegations and should have done the right thing instead of trying to recruit his partner and daughter as informants.
Liam will get a lovely reception in gaol, a kiddie fiddler and a Sinn Feiner all rolled in to one. He`ll be popular.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on December 23, 2009, 09:58:21 PM
Gerry of course deflects the blame away from him to those - such as the Social Services and RUC - who, he claims, have questions to answer as to how the bro got a job as a youth worker. Hold on, hold on! Nearly every feckin youth / community / development / worker in the west - all funded by the British - is a Sinn Fein card carrier .... So, with a name like Liam Adams, and with the face to match, you are elected!!!!

God forbid if someone in your family is at this and I'm not suggesting they are, but if so, should you be held responsible?

I've been reading the comments here over the last few days and it just seems to me that this is just another stick people are using to beat Gerry Adams with. Forgetting about the real culprits and failures here.

I was surprised to even read that they condemned Gerry for not organising a punishment beating...  I mean FFS people, a bit of composure please!
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Exactly Hurler, you wouldn't get a shift as a "community worker" in West Belfast without the Shinnera knowing about you. f**k me there would be no "community projects" without Sinn Fein, it is a cottage industry. Why try and attract private industry to West Belfast when you can set up all sorts of gigs for your mates, funded by the Brits.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2009, 10:07:40 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on December 23, 2009, 09:52:31 PM
Funny thing is, he was educated by none other than the Christian Brothers, lived in the heart of West Belfast during the Troubles, Andytown I believe and republicans were all around him - I have met him a few times and never been impressed with him.  I may not like the Shinners but I don't go after them like a dog with a bone like he has for over 20 years.
It's very unfair. I should have been born a Protestant and I should have gone to Campbell. I should have worn lovely corduroy trousers at prep. I would have been a wonderful fly half. I could have been.....
Yes hs, you got him down to a T.  I always found him very annoying
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: hardstation on December 23, 2009, 10:07:40 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on December 23, 2009, 09:52:31 PM
It's very unfair. I should have been born a Protestant and I should have gone to Campbell. I should have worn lovely corduroy trousers at prep. I would have been a wonderful fly half. I could have been.....

Malachi - god love him. The fact is that you are just as likely to get one up the 'tradesman's entrance' in Campbell or the CBS. However, I think that Mallachheee doth complain too much. But it gets you the 'my type of taig' exposure in the Beeb and the Belfast Telegraph. Keep sticking the boot in and the pounds will follow!!

Trevor Hill

Quote from: ziggysego on December 23, 2009, 10:05:58 PM
I've been reading the comments here over the last few days and it just seems to me that this is just another stick people are using to beat Gerry Adams with.

A very apt choice of words Ziggysego. In the old days Gerry would have beat anyone with more than sticks who said anything untoward about his family.  ;)

I do agree with you that people are using this to get at Gerry, but he should have made sure Liam was removed from his job as soon as these allegations were known. Instead he brushed it under the carpet and it has come back to bite him in the arse.

Minder

According to the Andytown News Gerrys stock "has risen" in the last week in how he has dealt with this furore. Robin Livingstone has learnt his lesson.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Minder on December 23, 2009, 10:11:18 PM

Exactly Hurler, you wouldn't get a shift as a "community worker" in West Belfast without the Shinnera knowing about you. f**k me there would be no "community projects" without Sinn Fein, it is a cottage industry. Why try and attract private industry to West Belfast when you can set up all sorts of gigs for your mates, funded by the Brits.

For all the years of "discrimination" there is a Big time Nepotism /in the know out there - and I challenge anyone to contradict me - regarding who gets the "community" jobs in the west. I am sure that the jobs Liam Adams got could / should have gone to ones without the 'CONNECTION' - It really is as blatant as being in the Masons or the Orange Order ..