Dissident theory... Strabane

Started by longrunsthefox, December 16, 2009, 10:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I would say this is part of reason why Strabane has a lot of Republican disillusionment with the 'peace process.' To see the suits on the hill and little economic benefit has come to the town. While I don't agree with the dissidents I can see why young people and the republicans there are frustrated with all the talk of how better things are....

Strabane tops unemployment table
Strabane has the highest percentage rate of unemployment in Northern Ireland, according to the latest government figures.
6.9% of the working age population of the town are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance.
The north west has topped the unemployment tables since the economic crisis began.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Looks like the town is going backwards!

From wikipedia:

Strabane once had the dubious distinction of having the highest unemployment rate in the Industrial World, during the height of the troubles.[1] It is one of the most economically deprived towns in the United Kingdom.[2] The average wage in Strabane is just £233 per week, compared with £320 in Northern Ireland and £349 in the rest of the UK.

In August 2005, a Channel 4 television programme presented by property experts Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer, named Strabane as the eighth-worst place to live in the United Kingdom, largely because of the high unemployment rate.[3] Strabane has however moved out of the top 20 for the 2007 edition.[4]

Tbc....

Doogie Browser

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 16, 2009, 10:23:55 AM
I would say this is part of reason why Strabane has a lot of Republican disillusionment with the 'peace process.' To see the suits on the hill and little economic benefit has come to the town. While I don't agree with the dissidents I can see why young people and the republicans there are frustrated with all the talk of how better things are....

Strabane tops unemployment table
Strabane has the highest percentage rate of unemployment in Northern Ireland, according to the latest government figures.
6.9% of the working age population of the town are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance.
The north west has topped the unemployment tables since the economic crisis began.

Sure this stat has remained for years, to try and marry it up with dissident activity is disengenuos as it has been like this for 30yrs.  There is as much dissillusionment there as other towns, its just a more vocal minority.  Strabane has many positives and dissident violence is more of a hindrance to economic success than goverment policy I can say for certain.
Improving infrastructure (A5 corridor and expansion of City of Derry runway), border location and a motivated workforce will all aid North West development when we emerge from current downturn. 

nrico2006

Still a great town.  Has one of the reasons why there has always been a high unemployment rate not been due to the fact that half the people who sign on do so in their work gear and alot of people signing on would be from over the border with addresses in Strabane?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2009, 10:58:11 AM
Still a great town.  Has one of the reasons why there has always been a high unemployment rate not been due to the fact that half the people who sign on do so in their work gear and alot of people signing on would be from over the border with addresses in Strabane?

First bit correct about the work gear correct, the 2nd about people coming over to sign on is wrong, for the money and the jumping through hoops you would have to do, its not worth it.
Seemingly the state are clamping down big time in Letterkenny etc... on dole applicants.
Tbc....

Ulick

Only 7%? They're doing well - I remember when it was 30% and that's not that long ago.

nrico2006

Aye, it would seem to be more trouble and bother now but I remember a fella I used to know who lived outside Lifford but who used an address in Strabane also and signed on both north and south.  I was just wondering how many would actually be at this.  I signed on for a while myself after I left University and I remember seeing quite a number of boys I knew down there who I knew were out working full-time.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Quote from: Ulick on December 16, 2009, 11:27:17 AM
Only 7%? They're doing well - I remember when it was 30% and that's not that long ago.

+1. Alot of places in Ireland can only dream of a 7% unemployment rate. Has to be a mistake, should it read 17% / 27% ?.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2009, 12:22:55 PM
Aye, it would seem to be more trouble and bother now but I remember a fella I used to know who lived outside Lifford but who used an address in Strabane also and signed on both north and south.  I was just wondering how many would actually be at this.  I signed on for a while myself after I left University and I remember seeing quite a number of boys I knew down there who I knew were out working full-time.

I always thought that there were a hell of alot of the lads signing on in Strabane who were working as well, sure is that not were the term "doing the double" originated.  ;)
Tbc....

haranguerer

Poor theory. Strabane has long had high unemployment - just one reason, as Doogie says, why to try to cite this as a key reason for dissident activity is silly.

redhugh

Just a question fox, why do you feel Strabane has a higher amount of disillusioned republicans than any other northern town with a predominately catholic population?

Personally I blame the fact that McColgan's pies don't have enough meat in them for all/ any of Strabane's problems.

boojangles

Fox is on a roll-making excuses for Dissident activity,what next, saying ATM heists are cool???

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: boojangles on December 16, 2009, 04:19:51 PM
Fox is on a roll-making excuses for Dissident activity,what next, saying ATM heists are cool???

In the 1980s, Strabane's unemployment was the highest in Western Europe - 15%. Why should today's figure be a cause for significant dissent? I don't think that an informed economic critique of the present British Government's economic policy is the main talking point among the disenchanted dissidents. Intellectual fiscal alternatives are quite short on the ground from the dissidenters - is that a word? It is now! In fact, it was Gerry Adams, who for years was living the political utopian dream of a United Ireland, and whose distinct and ill-informed knowledge of the Republic's economy, cost SF the votes big time as he stuttered and spoofed live on RTE during the last 26-county elections. There is a concept in Ireland called 'Four Pint Republicanism' i.e. everyone will 'die' for Ireland and sing a rebel song with a few beers in them - even members of the SDLP! So, perhaps, the problem is too much beer in their guts and time on their hands.   

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on December 16, 2009, 10:30:40 PM

In the 1980s, Strabane's unemployment was the highest in Western Europe - 15%. Why should today's figure be a cause for significant dissent? I don't think that an informed economic critique of the present British Government's economic policy is the main talking point among the disenchanted dissidents. Intellectual fiscal alternatives are quite short on the ground from the dissidenters - is that a word? It is now! In fact, it was Gerry Adams, who for years was living the political utopian dream of a United Ireland, and whose distinct and ill-informed knowledge of the Republic's economy, cost SF the votes big time as he stuttered and spoofed live on RTE during the last 26-county elections. There is a concept in Ireland called 'Four Pint Republicanism' i.e. everyone will 'die' for Ireland and sing a rebel song with a few beers in them - even members of the SDLP! So, perhaps, the problem is too much beer in their guts and time on their hands.

Well put, I know a few lads whom some on here would refer to as "castle catholics" and love seeing them dying for Ireland when pissed!
Tbc....

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 17, 2009, 10:01:53 AM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on December 16, 2009, 10:30:40 PM

Well put, I know a few lads whom some on here would refer to as "castle catholics" and love seeing them dying for Ireland when pissed!

I'll tell you what's worse is "rebels without a clue" banging the drum at 3am and demanding that I sing the Broad Black Brimmer!  I don't even fecking know it!!!