New rules for next years National League

Started by BennyHarp, December 06, 2009, 07:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Whats people's thoughts on the proposed new rules for this years National League - i think its about time that the square ball rule was modified!! I also think giving the attacking team the chance to score before blowing a game up sounds good in theory but may cause problems in practice.

From hoganstand;

'Square ball' rule set to be altered
06 December 2009

A significant alteration of the 'square ball' rule, which would allow players into the square ahead of the ball after it has been kicked, is believed to be among a new set of experimental rules that will be implemented in next spring's National Football League.

At yesterday's Central Council meeting in Croke Park, a set of proposed rule changes brought forward by two special football and hurling sub-committees were given the go-ahead on a trial basis.

Although the GAA will not be releasing details of the changes until during the week, it's understood that a change to the 'square ball' rule and the introduction of an Aussie Rules-style 'mark' are two of the proposals in Gaelic football that will be tried out.

Taking all kick-outs from the 13-metre line to speed up play and moving the penalty spot closer to the goal to aid the attacking team will also be part of the experimental rules.

The prospect of allowing players to cleanly pick the ball off the ground rather than have to put their toe to it was also mooted, but it's believed the committee didn't run with that idea in the end. Neither did they opt to allow four points for a goal or awarding two points for any kick that went over the bar from outside 45 yards, which were two other propositions they considered.

In hurling, managers will have to stand at least one metre from the sideline, while all 'clash balls' must be 13 metres from the sideline.

Interestingly, one proposed change will feature in both codes. If a game is entering its closing seconds with teams level, referees will be instructed not to blow the final whistle if one of the sides is attacking.

The two sub-committees, chaired by Seamus Woods (football) and Simon Moroney (hurling), held a number of meetings in recent months after being charged by GAA president, Christy Cooney, to explore possible improvements in both codes. The football committee featured the likes of Oisin McConville, Anthony Rainbow, Liam Sammon and referees' chief Mick Curley.

Depending on the relative success of the rule changes in the early rounds of the league, motions could be brought to next April's Congress in Newcastle, Co Down.
That was never a square ball!!

mountainboii

Why do the GAA persist with experimenting new rules at the highest level? Most other sports try out their new ideas at underage or low level competitions, and then if they seem to work out alright give them a run at higher levels. Its no wonder many teams and supporters treat the league with such contempt, when the rules makers seem to view it a testing ground for their latest wacky ideas.

ardmhachaabu

There is little wrong with the present set of rules.  They just need to be enforced properly.  It would help if referees actually knew what constituted a yellow and what constituted a red.  Some refs just seem to make it up as they go along and end up being accused of being biased to one side or the other
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

trileacman

Quote from: AFS on December 06, 2009, 08:04:30 PM
Why do the GAA persist with experimenting new rules at the highest level? Most other sports try out their new ideas at underage or low level competitions, and then if they seem to work out alright give them a run at higher levels. Its no wonder many teams and supporters treat the league with such contempt, when the rules makers seem to view it a testing ground for their latest wacky ideas.

True, and given that 90% of the rules being tested will never make it into the book, it does make a b@lls of the thing. You'd imagine refs would be pretty pissed with stuff like this, i mean more responsibility and rules to enforce without being given time to be them in.

The mark rule is the biggest load of crap, We'll see John McConville and Colin Holmes line out at FF next year. Look at Aussie rules for Christ sake, Your man Barry Hall was a All Austrailian just for having a chest the size of a landrover bonnet. 
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyHarp

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on December 06, 2009, 08:40:22 PM
There is little wrong with the present set of rules.  They just need to be enforced properly.  It would help if referees actually knew what constituted a yellow and what constituted a red.  Some refs just seem to make it up as they go along and end up being accused of being biased to one side or the other

I generally agree with this - but at least there is no attempt this time round to take away the tackle or try to limit hand passes which in my opinion are the fundamentals of the game! A few tweaks here and there dont do any harm, so the square ball and penalty changes are no bad thing! Introducing the mark however is something that would need serious consideration! Especially in conjunction with taking away square ball - stick a big man in the square and pump er in!!

Tyrone Dreamer

I assume the mark rule will just be for kickouts but still not sure about it. I know some people are against it by if they're trying anything I'd like to see 13 a side games tried. Would lead to far more open games.

cavanmaniac

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 06, 2009, 09:25:30 PM
I generally agree with this - but at least there is no attempt this time round to take away the tackle or try to limit hand passes which in my opinion are the fundamentals of the game!

You'd have a few people disagreeing with you there, personally I think over handpassing is a blight on the game and just a way for players to mask the fact that they haven't really developed kicking skills...and when the handpass isn't curbed in any way, why would they bother? I'd argue kicking is a more fundamental part of the game than handpassing.

On the wider subject of experiments, I agree that there's better places to trial these things than what's supposed to be the second competition, it just cheapens it when it's turned into a guinea pig for various rules no matter how meritorious or otherwise they may be.

Either way, very few of these experimental rules ever make the cut when managers start moaning etc, look what happened the sin bin etc, that would have cut out alot of the shitey pulling and dragging if it was tweaked and refined a bit but they jettisoned it very quickly..

AbbeySider

I for one hate the square ball rule as referees rarely get it right. It will make or more goals if they remove the rule and keepers will have to be more commanding with the added pressure.

I think the "Mark" rule is a non-runner. It would slow the game down slightly and I dont think its natural to the flow of the game.

They shouldnt remove the toe under the ball pickup either as its a skill of the game and you would only be dumbing things down (no offence ladies).

Two points from 45 yards is a good one as it rewards and promotes long range shots which is a fantastic skill that not many can pull off.

Bringing the peno spot closer I dont really feel strongly about. But if you dont have a player that can convert a penalty and take the chance then tough luck. I rarely see them missed.

Canalman

Think that the "square ball" rule should be done away with at club level anyway. Imo the cause of most bother at club level with 2 umpires always disagreeing.

ha ha derry

Quote from: AbbeySider on December 07, 2009, 04:49:22 PM
I for one hate the square ball rule as referees rarely get it right. It will make or more goals if they remove the rule and keepers will have to be more commanding with the added pressure.
I think the "Mark" rule is a non-runner. It would slow the game down slightly and I dont think its natural to the flow of the game.

They shouldnt remove the toe under the ball pickup either as its a skill of the game and you would only be dumbing things down (no offence ladies).

Two points from 45 yards is a good one as it rewards and promotes long range shots which is a fantastic skill that not many can pull off.

Bringing the peno spot closer I dont really feel strongly about. But if you dont have a player that can convert a penalty and take the chance then tough luck. I rarely see them missed.

Yeah do away with the square ball rule and reinstate the third man tackle (seriously) as it,s part and parcel of every game anyway.

thewobbler

QuoteTwo points from 45 yards is a good one as it rewards and promotes long range shots which is a fantastic skill that not many can pull off.

Alternatively it is a feat simply beyond most players even at the highest level, and as such it would create an untouchable elite within our game. Being able to kick a ball accurately is a skill, being able to kick a ball really far is quite somewhat down to what nature grants you. I'd much rather watch players expend energy on learning how to kick nine out of ten from 30 metres, than in kicking two out of ten from 45 metres.

The big problem with rule changes is that people are too willing to shout about the positive aspects they might bring, without ever really considering the knock-on negative effects that come with them. Awarding 2 points for a sideline kick is one such example i've read about many times. This comes from people who don't realise that a sideline kick was designed as a method for restarting play and not as an opportunity to gain a score. Should GAA coaches bring in a tactic that revolves around winning sidelines balls, it really would be time to turn off the lights.

Gnevin

Why the constant need to change the rules. The game is fine .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

themightyoak

Quote from: Canalman on December 07, 2009, 05:40:46 PM
Think that the "square ball" rule should be done away with at club level anyway. Imo the cause of most bother at club level with 2 umpires always disagreeing.
The umpires have no say anymore over "square ball" decisions, because of the club umpires not agreeing the ref now has to make the call himself from where ever he might be at the time
listen.... i'm not a hard man, but... i'll give a hard man a hard time !!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

I think the mark is a great idea if it's restricted to kick-outs that land between the two 45s. Fielding a ball is one of the top skills in football but there's no advantage to the catcher if he's surrounded by 3 or 4 men when he hits the ground. With regard to slowing down the game I would say it clears up the game as fielded kick-out are usually followed by a free for not being able to release the ball anyway.
I'm not too bothered either way by the square ball or penalty spot changes. The 2 points for outside the 45 would be interesting similar to the 3 points in basketball. Games in injury time and you're one down. Do you try to work it in for a draw or go for glory?
But the most important thing is applying the rules properly which I think means giving more power to linesmen and umpires when they are neutral to cut out the off the ball dragging etc.

BennyHarp

I agree with wobbler in the fact that people don't consider fully the negative impacts, the yellow card and your off experiment meant managers just funnelled more people back and would have ended up like basketball forcing the opposition to kick from distance as people where afraid to put in a tackle. So a rule disigned to open up play actually caused a worse blanket defence. It's like releasing an animal into a new environment, you never know what the outcome will be - like the bloke who bought the first starling to the USA, now they are the farmers biggest pests! So my opinion is probably to leave things alone as far as possible!