250,000 State employees on strike

Started by sammymaguire, November 24, 2009, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

In 3 years working in and around Dublin Airport, the amount of taxis out there queueing up for fares today has to be seen to be believed. I asked a taxi driver where were all the extra cars from, he told me teachers and firemen were the majority as they were off today. He was like an anti-christ, he was in the queue for 3 hours at that stage and there was at least 100 cars in front of him. i wonder will the taxi unions have anything to say about this later. Talk about a PR disaster for the public unions. The government must be delighted at this, also, as someone mentioned earlier, the irony of public sector workers spending their money in the North. This is a great little country.

muppet

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 24, 2009, 04:12:36 PM
In 3 years working in and around Dublin Airport, the amount of taxis out there queueing up for fares today has to be seen to be believed. I asked a taxi driver where were all the extra cars from, he told me teachers and firemen were the majority as they were off today. He was like an anti-christ, he was in the queue for 3 hours at that stage and there was at least 100 cars in front of him. i wonder will the taxi unions have anything to say about this later. Talk about a PR disaster for the public unions. The government must be delighted at this, also, as someone mentioned earlier, the irony of public sector workers spending their money in the North. This is a great little country.

The strike was predictable but the apathy from the various union members is a big surprise.

Is the ICTU tail wagging the public service dog?

They should do this more often, the economy will have taken a shot in the arm with all the shopping while the State will have saved a fortune in pay.
MWWSI 2017

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Subbie

It gets better, i had to take the morning off to go to a funeral in Monaghan and whilst on me way back up the M1 about 3 miles South of the Ardee exit i seen a car 2 women, 1 fella fixing a puncture, boot full of drink and toys and the pair of dolls standing watching yer man with ICTU umberellas in hand, :o :o wish i had stopped and took a photo, only had to get back to me job

bingobus

Quote from: The Subbie on November 24, 2009, 04:42:10 PM
It gets better, i had to take the morning off to go to a funeral in Monaghan and whilst on me way back up the M1 about 3 miles South of the Ardee exit i seen a car 2 women, 1 fella fixing a puncture, boot full of drink and toys and the pair of dolls standing watching yer man with ICTU umberellas in hand, :o :o wish i had stopped and took a photo, only had to get back to me job

Must have been supplies for the troops on the picket line  ;)  ;D

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2009, 04:17:24 PM

The strike was predictable but the apathy from the various union members is a big surprise.

They should do this more often, the economy will have taken a shot in the arm with all the shopping while the State will have saved a fortune in pay.

Do you really think that muppet?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 24, 2009, 04:57:16 PM

Most public sectors workers I've been talking to in the last couple of days were dreading the thoughts of spending hours on the pickets.
A small handful of militant union heads were keeping the heat on them to be out on the picket though.

5 Sams

Taxi driver on Joe Guffy earlier talking about Coppers and a few other clubs and pubs in Dublin being flat out last night. He said it was like Christmas Eve....he even said that he overheard a  few punters in the back of his cab saying that they hoped that the strike would be on a different day next time as Monday night wasnt the best night to be going out!!
The Aristocrat Years

Farrandeelin

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 24, 2009, 05:02:12 PM
Taxi driver on Joe Guffy earlier talking about Coppers and a few other clubs and pubs in Dublin being flat out last night. He said it was like Christmas Eve....he even said that he overheard a  few punters in the back of his cab saying that they hoped that the strike would be on a different day next time as Monday night wasnt the best night to be going out!!

I know this is going to probably get up everyone's noses, but my teaching friends were going daft in Coppers last night. I can see where the private sector anger is coming from, but the private sector were laughing at anyone who took a public sector job a couple of years ago.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ludermor

Not sure why it would get up peoples noses, i doubt many would be surprised.

trileacman

Not just the irony of bringing money across the border to line the pockets of other governments.

Its the irony of people complaining about low/improper wages but yet they have the money to fill the car with diesel cross the border and play a game of "how many bottles of spirits can you fit in a '05 passat?".

If it wasnt so targic it would be comical.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Bacon

It must be wild hard for shop workers in Dublin, Drogheda and Dundalk watching these people driving past and putting them out of work. I'd say it makes it all the harder to take when they know that the shop workers taxes help pay the public service pay bill.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 24, 2009, 04:57:16 PM

Yea, either you roll over and accept the cuts or you fight to limit the damage. To call a strike and then send a message that you don't care is the worst possible scenario. The public sector will be filleted now.
MWWSI 2017

bingobus

Its funny a few teachers I know all say they didn't want to strike etc. How did the vote so largely in favour of it though?

Also know a Garda who is all for it and was marching last week in Dublin. I was in shock when he told me his gross salary last year and before his allowances as well. It was criminal in fact.