Protein Supplement Drinks - Whats the story

Started by No way ref, November 18, 2009, 08:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteI'm only making that point because I would suggest the demands (time constraints, professional demands etc) on a Gaelic player are seriously demanding on a players health and for that reason - not the volume etc training - supplementation is a valid consideration.

I agree it is a valid consideration, I was just making the point though that it isn't an essential if you are getting your dietary requirements through your normal diet.

QuoteThis is rarely considered because most people suggest that amateur players don't need professional training advice.

Again I agree but advice for amateurs shouldn't be simply based on what professionals do. Good advice always starts with knowing your client, simply passing on what Jonny Wilkinson or Frank Lampard do (even if you know it in detail) isn't good advice as your superimposing someone else's program on a different individual.

quit yo jibbajabba

youns wans still arguing?! ;)

these threads are always informative, fair play, (though im confused now)

while i have your attention; in your opinion guys, what is the best way to lose some weight then;
mid thirties, football days well over; 6ft, 15st, 13 1/2 in my "prime"

should it be all cardio and a little weights, or what is a good mix;
is 3/4 sessions per week enough?
i know also the foods the key; if ye could give me an example of a "good" days eating, that would also be great;

cheques in the post ;D

Aerlik

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on November 20, 2009, 11:50:25 AM
what is the best way to lose some weight then;

Stay the fcuk outta Friar Tuck's to start with.  A cupla laps on the auld pushy around bannville every night and a feed of fried eels for breakfast washed down with a pint of buttermilk. ;)
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Overthebar!

while i have your attention; in your opinion guys, what is the best way to lose some weight then;

i know also the foods the key; if ye could give me an example of a "good" days eating, that would also be great;

cheques in the post ;D

seem to be a few experts on here. the best advice you can take is that different things work for different people so I wouldn't copy what others are at. it is a learning curve

i would say do 3-4 days a week.
focus on compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench, shoulder press, pull ups etc as well as some short intense cardio

also focus on foods like:

Oats
brown rice
wholewheat Pasta
Whole Wheat Bread
Chicken Breast
Red meat
Turkey
fish
nuts
all natural PB

eat smaller meals more often and just make sure you are on a calorie deficit and the weight will drop off

quit yo jibbajabba

Aerlik -  ;D we have a couple o chineses now, a pizza place and another chippy; far too much temptation!!! i hear ye about banville though; though i swear thon hills get steeper every year..

Over the Bar; cheers; should the focus of the 3/4 sessions be weights then, with say a 20min cardio burst at end; or say 2 cardio sessions, 2 weights, with some cardio at end?
And do i go heavy on the weights or not?  read so much conflicting stuff on this also;

back in a bit, away to gym  :)

charlieTully

i have reached a plateau in training. stuck at the same weight give or take a few kg. esp on chest and shoulders. have tried various supplements and routines, any advice on how to beat this?

AbbeySider

Quote from: charlieTully on November 20, 2009, 05:13:41 PM
i have reached a plateau in training. stuck at the same weight give or take a few kg. esp on chest and shoulders. have tried various supplements and routines, any advice on how to beat this?

Dropsets
change your program every 4-6 weeks
Increase or Change the amount of sets you do and the reps
Change your exercises completly

Eg
If you are constantly doing 3 sets of 8 or 10 (10x10x10)
Then for a change do 10x8x6 (6 being almost your max) for a few weeks and in week 4 or 5 do a drop set on everything
EG 10x8x6x15
That last set of 15 should be a light weight and you should get the last out of your muscle and work it to fatigue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_set

AbbeySider

Quote from: Overthebar! on November 20, 2009, 12:32:21 PM

cheques in the post ;D

seem to be a few experts on here. the best advice you can take is that different things work for different people so I wouldn't copy what others are at. it is a learning curve

i would say do 3-4 days a week.
focus on compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench, shoulder press, pull ups etc as well as some short intense cardio

also focus on foods like:

Oats
brown rice
wholewheat Pasta
Whole Wheat Bread
Chicken Breast
Red meat
Turkey
fish
nuts
all natural PB

eat smaller meals more often and just make sure you are on a calorie deficit and the weight will drop off

Over the bar...
Why would you do compound exercises to lose weight?
Surely you would be saying that cardio workouts (running and cycling) and increasing your heart rate is the better way to lose weight in stead of anaerobic exercise?

Muscle is much heavier than fat, telling someone who is not used to the gym to start dead lifting, benching and Squating is really bad advise IMO.

Its simple, eat properly, cut out the crap food and dont eat after 8pm.
Miles on the road/treadmill = inches off your waist.

Try and do 10k a week, then build on that. keep the cardio going as much as possibe.

INDIANA

Anyone doing a decent weights programme shouldn't be doing anymore than 6 reps on a set of a power exercise. If you can lift more than that the weight is too light. You'll never build up any sort of power level doing exercises with with 8-10 reps bar injury prevention exercises or core stability.
In my opinion anyway.

Bainisteoir

any of you watching the GAA Coaching conference? The cork football team physical trainer was on...V Gd presentation he gave on strength and conditioning.

Zulu

Yeah I was and I agree, he can across very well.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Bainisteoir on November 21, 2009, 04:15:32 PM
any of you watching the GAA Coaching conference? The cork football team physical trainer was on...V Gd presentation he gave on strength and conditioning.

Is that available online?

Zulu

Well I watched it online but it's over now. I think the presentations will be on the GAA website next week.

charlieTully

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 21, 2009, 01:25:30 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 20, 2009, 05:13:41 PM

Dropsets
change your program every 4-6 weeks
Increase or Change the amount of sets you do and the reps
Change your exercises completly

Eg
If you are constantly doing 3 sets of 8 or 10 (10x10x10)
Then for a change do 10x8x6 (6 being almost your max) for a few weeks and in week 4 or 5 do a drop set on everything
EG 10x8x6x15
That last set of 15 should be a light weight and you should get the last out of your muscle and work it to fatigue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_set

thanks.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 19, 2009, 03:46:25 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 19, 2009, 02:15:16 PM
Dont bulk up
become a sheep farmer for a decade or so and increase the strength in yer arms
Bulk means less speed and agility, means increased hits and potentially more injuries

stay lean and mean - if they cant catch you they cant hit you !

On the contrary;
Bulk up, train for hypertrophy and strength this time of year.
Start with a couple of strength programs and then move onto a heaver weights program doing lower reps with heaver weight.

Stay flexible.
Work on your core!

Then closer to the season, when your strong enough and your comfortable, and you know what your doing, train and develop power using power-lifting and Olympic lifting techniques as opposed to heavy concentrated weight lifting.

Work on your core!

Then endurance, speed and agility can be worked on just before the season and when the season starts.

Train properly for the time of year.
Work on your core!

As the season wears on, the less you do in the gym but it should be kept topped up. Keep the power training going and polyometrics for speed and agility, interval and long runs for endurance and speed endurance.

Again, as the ground gets harder and the game gets quicker its speed, agility and power you should train for as you become more athletic, and less heavy as the season wears on.

Fill the T-Shirt.  ;)  Get the protein into you if you need it.  ;D
Did I mention to work on your core?
thats great if you are training to be a triathlete but
sheep farming, eating decent food - loads of veg, no junk and everyting in moderation (no booze)
and play football football football (prob same for hurling) - you will get as much speed agility and so on as you need.
For extra speed, agility and peripheral vision, in winter time play basketball, boxing and yoga if yer up to it.
sit ups pressups etc all year round.