Priest stuns congregation by resigning over affair.

Started by Doogie Browser, November 16, 2009, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Donagh on November 17, 2009, 03:01:54 PM
Some fairly typical Gaaboard responses on this thread. In the rush to slap the priest on the back and stick the boot into the Church no one has considered the possibility of a very serious abuse of position and breech of trust by this priest. Would a teaching shagging his pupil, or a doctor a patient get the same reaction? I wonder what the woman's husband and father of the children thinks about it all.

Are they estranged because of this, or was that already something that had happened?

Theres a huge difference in Teacher-  pupil relationships, compared to this and your other example.

Hes a man. Its naive of the church to believe that these kinds of things wont ever happen. Infact - I dont believe that the church thinks it wont happen.

maddog

Some fairly typical Gaaboard responses on this thread. In the rush to slap the priest on the back and stick the boot into the Church no one has considered the possibility of a very serious abuse of position and breech of trust by this priest. Would a teaching shagging his pupil, or a doctor a patient get the same reaction? I wonder what the woman's husband and father of the children thinks about it all.

Did it not say she's seperated from the husband. While it may be a massive storm in an tea cup locally its no big deal. Man shags woman. The world hasnt ended. And in other news cat miaows.

Puckoon

Quote from: Zapatista on November 17, 2009, 08:47:23 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 16, 2009, 06:49:20 PM
Theres priests the country over getting more than all of us! Thats nothing new

What's that based on?

The law of averages
The fact that I am getting none
Past history and form
The fact that preists are men - not super heroes with no sex drive

Its a bit like saying only the managers we know about are getting paid.

Its happened in the past, its happening right now, and its going to happen in the future.

Evil Genius

I wonder what the woman's husband and father of the children thinks about it all.
At a wild guess I'd say the woman's husband is hopping mad, but the father of the children is keeping his head down, especially if he (father) is also the Priest (Father)?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 17, 2009, 03:46:51 PM
I wonder what the woman's husband and father of the children thinks about it all.
At a wild guess I'd say the woman's husband is hopping mad, but the father of the children is keeping his head down, especially if he (father) is also the Priest (Father)?

a very wild guess alright as you have no idea of the circumstances  :-\

Evil Genius

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 17, 2009, 04:08:01 PM

Er, I wasn't being serious. It was meant to be a light-hearted comment, you know, pointing out that the "woman's husband and father of the children" might be two different people.

To whom should I apologise?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 17, 2009, 04:29:08 PM

Er, I wasn't being serious. It was meant to be a light-hearted comment, you know, pointing out that the "woman's husband and father of the children" might be two different people.

Jesus
Testing Accessibility

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on November 17, 2009, 04:40:47 PM

Jesus
D'ye have the number, or is he in the book?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 17, 2009, 04:42:24 PM

Jesus

I thought you lot had a direct line to the big man upstairs  :D
Testing Accessibility

mylestheslasher

And if we had put the boot into the priest you'd be calling us all anti church. Would ya ever give it a rest and stop talking rubbish. How is it a serious abuse of position for a man to form a relationship with a woman. The woman has divorced her husband so what he thinks is irrelevant. Are you some sort of fundamentalist catholic?, you weren't so quick to criticise the church when we were debating their abuse of children and subsequent cover up - instead you blamed the government. Or maybe that is your problem, protect the mechanics of the church but not the people who "belong" to it, is that it. Do you consider yourself a republican too?

Evil Genius

Quote from: ziggysego on November 17, 2009, 04:44:01 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 17, 2009, 04:42:24 PM

Jesus

I thought you lot had a direct line to the big man upstairs  :D
"You lot"? Well maybe it's just me, but everytime I talk to God, I find I'm talking to myself. I never thought of looking upstairs.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: Puckoon on November 17, 2009, 03:16:37 PM
Are they estranged because of this, or was that already something that had happened?

Theres a huge difference in Teacher-  pupil relationships, compared to this and your other example.

Hes a man. Its naive of the church to believe that these kinds of things wont ever happen. Infact - I dont believe that the church thinks it wont happen.

No there's not. The teacher, doctor and priest are all placed in a position of trust by virtue of their positions. They are expected not to use their influence over the vulnerable or impressionable. This is not a question over the Church's celibacy rules but a flagrant breach of trust by someone who should know better. If he was a doctor he'd be struck off and possibly fired if he was a teacher. What do they do in Derry, they give him a fecking standing ovation! Been watching too many Hollywood rom-coms up there - the man should have been hounded out of the parish.

Donagh

Quote from: maddog on November 17, 2009, 03:16:51 PM
Did it not say she's seperated from the husband. While it may be a massive storm in an tea cup locally its no big deal. Man shags woman. The world hasnt ended. And in other news cat miaows.

He's a priest. His duty in such situations would be to provide pastoral care and guidance to the woman, not get her into bed.

Donagh

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 17, 2009, 04:49:15 PM
And if we had put the boot into the priest you'd be calling us all anti church. Would ya ever give it a rest and stop talking rubbish. How is it a serious abuse of position for a man to form a relationship with a woman. The woman has divorced her husband so what he thinks is irrelevant. Are you some sort of fundamentalist catholic?, you weren't so quick to criticise the church when we were debating their abuse of children and subsequent cover up - instead you blamed the government. Or maybe that is your problem, protect the mechanics of the church but not the people who "belong" to it, is that it. Do you consider yourself a republican too?

It's not an abuse of position for a man and woman to form a relationship but it is for a priest for reasons I've outlined in previous posts. Now if you haven't the confidence in your position to debate an issue on it's merit without getting personal, I'll leave you to it.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Donagh on November 17, 2009, 04:55:39 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 17, 2009, 03:16:37 PM

No there's not. The teacher, doctor and priest are all placed in a position of trust by virtue of their positions. They are expected not to use their influence over the vulnerable or impressionable. This is not a question over the Church's celibacy rules but a flagrant breach of trust by someone who should know better. If he was a doctor he'd be struck off and possibly fired if he was a teacher. What do they do in Derry, they give him a fecking standing ovation! Been watching too many Hollywood rom-coms up there - the man should have been hounded out of the parish.
You need to get a grip on reality Donagh, honestly.