Blu Ray / Dvd

Started by Minder, November 06, 2009, 10:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I am starting to gather up Blu Rays for playing on my PS3, I don't want to pay extra for a Blu Ray when there is minimal improvement in quality. I remember hearing of a site that rates the conversion to Blu Ray. Anyone know of this or similar sites?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mc_grens

You mean the quality of the transfer?

I'd like to see a site like that myself. I'm so far being very careful about what I buy on Blu Ray. Only getting things like Cloverfield, Dark Knight, Transformers, Benjamin Button cos they were digitally filmed and will be the full HD hog.

I've held off on older movies e.g. I was going to buy the Godfather Trilogy on Blu Ray because I only had it on VHS., but I don't know if HD will improve my enjoyment of it enough to warrant paying the extra over DVD. If I was safe in the knowledge that there was a big difference then I'd get it on Blu Ray.

Although I did recently buy Close Encounters Of The Third Kind. Couldn't resist. Thankfully they did a great job remastering it, and the arrival of the mothership has to rank as a HD must see.

Minder

Aye that's what I mean McGrens, am wary of buying certain older films as I don't think there would be much of an improvement. I saw reference to a site that rates the transfer quality but can't remember what it was.

Edit - Try this one McGrens. www.blu-ray.com/movies

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Drumanee 1

do you notice guys that on most blu ray films you have to change the format of your television for the film to full the screen therefore contradicting the benefit of hd by expanding the picture therefore losing definition.

mc_grens

Don't have that problem at all.

Are you using a PS3 or a BluRay player? I'm using a Blu Ray player and it works perfectly.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on November 06, 2009, 12:44:09 PM
do you notice guys that on most blu ray films you have to change the format of your television for the film to full the screen therefore contradicting the benefit of hd by expanding the picture therefore losing definition.

No. Don't have to do that.

Drumanee 1

using a panasonic blu ray player and 90% of the films i get from xtra vision have black bands top and bottom and i have to set the aspect of my tv to zoom

mc_grens

By The Way. Lord Of The Rings on Blu Ray is hitting March 28th 2010.

mc_grens

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on November 06, 2009, 12:59:12 PM
using a panasonic blu ray player and 90% of the films i get from xtra vision have black bands top and bottom and i have to set the aspect of my tv to zoom

You can probably adjust the aspect ratio output on your player's options. Other than that I have no idea why that would be happening.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: mc_grens on November 06, 2009, 01:04:23 PM

You can probably adjust the aspect ratio output on your player's options. Other than that I have no idea why that would be happening.

it's a strange one alright,couple of my mates have said they have the same problem

JohnDenver

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on November 06, 2009, 01:24:25 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on November 06, 2009, 01:04:23 PM

it's a strange one alright,couple of my mates have said they have the same problem

You's must be buying cheap TV's out of Kearneys Drum  :D

paco

Is it possible to buy a Blu Ray player and hook it up to my existing DVD surround sound or do I have to completely refurbish my make-shift home cinema?

Denn Forever

Excuse my ignorance but I've bought DVDs as a present but I don't know if they have a DVD or a Blu Ray player.  Do DVDs work in Blu Ray players?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AZOffaly