Limerick hurlers

Started by INDIANA, November 05, 2009, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

This could mean bad news for Antrim if Gerry Wallis goes with O'Grady ?.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on September 21, 2010, 10:52:54 AM
This could mean bad news for Antrim if Gerry Wallis goes with O'Grady ?.

Ger Cunningham is supposed to be the trainer, not sure if that's the Newtownshandrum Cunningham or the St Finbarrs Cunningham though as both are highly regarded in coaching circles.

AZOffaly

I'd say it's the newtownshandrum one, but Isn't he actually a hospital herbertstown man? I went to college with him for one year before he left, and I was sure he was a Limerick man.

He's still to be found on the Campus a lot anyhow.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2010, 11:40:27 AM
I'd say it's the newtownshandrum one, but Isn't he actually a hospital herbertstown man? I went to college with him for one year before he left, and I was sure he was a Limerick man.

He's still to be found on the Campus a lot anyhow.

He could be but i suppose he came to prominence with the Newtown team, well that's how i first heard of him anyway.

Ash Smoker

This is a cute move by O'Grady. Expectation is low in Limerick and they still have the guts of a good team.

He is the sort of big and respected name that could bring discipline into the team by cutting out the drinking culture.

Reillers

Oh just totally jealous. There were a few rumours all right, didn't believe them, to be fair. It'll be a rude wake up call for them, he's a strict one, he'll do anything to get them together and he'll get in the team behind him that he wants, he trusts. Which is genuinely fantastic.

He will take no nonsense at all. A princepal v student kind of relationship. It'll be a wake up call for a very relaxed culture in Limerick GAA, while with him at the head of Cork hurling it became the most professional set up in the country. He'll run a strict ship, and whether they're prepared for that or not, that's well, it's what they're getting. A great boost for them.

And on another note, well done the Cork County Board, he was sitting on the shelf for 6 years, a man with that brilliant management skills, hurling brain..etc. Just well done yet again. We let one of the best hurling men be

Should have been appointed director of hurling development in Cork, certainly should have been given the caretaker role, we should have grabbed the chance but instead we've shoved it back in his face. If we were really serious about getting back to the top and challenging, but unfortunately too many old heads in power looking to settle old scores. Never mind what's best for Cork hurling.

Would really fear a DoG managed team. Another c**k up by the the CCB. Not that Walsh isn't great, but there's no way we should have left O Grady out of Cork. Sad thing is that there is a long list of people who will not work with this CCB.

AZOffaly

Reillers, given your constant, and I mean constant, carping about how the CCB will do anything to be the grand poobahs in Cork GAA, isn't your Avatar completely inappropriate.

If it's as bad as you claim, then democracy hasn't won at all.

Enjoy Sam by the way, good job Frank Murphy had nothing .... oh wait.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on September 21, 2010, 07:25:43 PM
Oh just totally jealous. There were a few rumours all right, didn't believe them, to be fair. It'll be a rude wake up call for them, he's a strict one, he'll do anything to get them together and he'll get in the team behind him that he wants, he trusts. Which is genuinely fantastic.

He will take no nonsense at all. A princepal v student kind of relationship. It'll be a wake up call for a very relaxed culture in Limerick GAA, while with him at the head of Cork hurling it became the most professional set up in the country. He'll run a strict ship, and whether they're prepared for that or not, that's well, it's what they're getting. A great boost for them.

And on another note, well done the Cork County Board, he was sitting on the shelf for 6 years, a man with that brilliant management skills, hurling brain..etc. Just well done yet again. We let one of the best hurling men be

Should have been appointed director of hurling development in Cork, certainly should have been given the caretaker role, we should have grabbed the chance but instead we've shoved it back in his face. If we were really serious about getting back to the top and challenging, but unfortunately too many old heads in power looking to settle old scores. Never mind what's best for Cork hurling.

Would really fear a DoG managed team. Another c**k up by the the CCB. Not that Walsh isn't great, but there's no way we should have left O Grady out of Cork. Sad thing is that there is a long list of people who will not work with this CCB.

what a load of baloney. the only reason cork have anything to fear from limerick is because of the demise of cork hurling. Limerick wouldn't get within 10 points of tipp of kilkenny with their best players availlable. Teams will only fear limerick if ciaran carey and pat heffernan actually tog out for them.

johnneycool

I think I heard O'Grady on the radio this morning stressing that he still hadn't got the job and that he'd offered to take it for the year with a plan to bring on some of the Limerick lads in his backroom team to take over the managerial reigns soon.
Might have been on 2FM.

Reillers

Quote from: johnneycool on September 22, 2010, 10:32:00 AM

I think I heard O'Grady on the radio this morning stressing that he still hadn't got the job and that he'd offered to take it for the year with a plan to bring on some of the Limerick lads in his backroom team to take over the managerial reigns soon.
Might have been on 2FM.

A year will be a God sent for Limerick, he's an excellent manager, hopefully, and this is totally selfishly, the fact that he's only looking for a year and then he could maybe come back to Cork. But after having his of acting as manager, thrown back in his face, purely because of politics and begrudges, it's such a pity that he probably wont want to work with them again. What a waste of a hurling brain.
I know people go on and on about Cody being such an outstanding manager, but really this guy is fantastic and he'll do whatever it takes to pull Limerick up by their socks.

seafoid

If he can pull Limerick out of the hole they are in it will be marvellous for hurling. Imagine a championship with Galway, Offaly, Limerick, Waterford, Tipp, Cork and the Cats all potential winners and then the first four winning in rotation for the next 40 years. 

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2010, 09:31:39 PM
If he can pull Limerick out of the hole they are in it will be marvellous for hurling. Imagine a championship with Galway, Offaly, Limerick, Waterford, Tipp, Cork and the Cats all potential winners and then the first four winning in rotation for the next 40 years.

Limerick haven't the players.

AZOffaly

Neither did Clare in the 90s, but Loughnane made them a team. It only needs 5 or 6 good players to mould a team around, and then a sense of purpose, togetherness and a game plan will take you a good bit of the way.

I don't think Limerick will be winning All Irelands, but I think they'll be looking at a poor Munster Championship (If Tipp freewheel in may again) as possible.

Div 2 ain't going to help though.

INDIANA

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2010, 09:47:09 PM
Neither did Clare in the 90s, but Loughnane made them a team. It only needs 5 or 6 good players to mould a team around, and then a sense of purpose, togetherness and a game plan will take you a good bit of the way.

I don't think Limerick will be winning All Irelands, but I think they'll be looking at a poor Munster Championship (If Tipp freewheel in may again) as possible.

I don't see the players AZ. Clare were getting to munster finals before loughnane ever took over. They also rose when kilkenny were at a low ebb and cork were pretty average as well. Tipp as well were decent rather then great. Now tipp are excellent, waterford have a stream of players coming through and clare arent far behind. Munster rugby dominates limierick too.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on September 22, 2010, 09:52:32 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 22, 2010, 09:47:09 PM

I don't see the players AZ. Clare were getting to munster finals before loughnane ever took over. They also rose when kilkenny were at a low ebb and cork were pretty average as well. Tipp as well were decent rather then great. Now tipp are excellent, waterford have a stream of players coming through and clare arent far behind. Munster rugby dominates limierick too.

What about Cork. We'd been having a bad run of things. Fine other things were influencing that, but he's just an outstanding manager, now they'll either like the way he does it or they'll hate it. He's the boss. It very much is a school teacher attitude, and it's all about winning battles and mind games, there was a part of Corcoran's book where he goes on about in an 04 match, I think, 2 Irish sports council officials came into the dressing room to conduct a random drug test, so Donal og and Sean Og were selected,  the four of them get up to go to the bathrooms to give urine samples and O Grady comes in and asks what's going on, the 2 lads explained and he asked for documentation, they showed him cards and he points to some initials in small prints, and asked what does it mean, they said they didn't know. O Grady ate them alive, what were they doing drug testing his players and they didn't know what it meant. Very much like they were back in the principal's office. And no one was safe from it.
It was really all about winnning the mind games, no matter how small.

He came in in 02 in Cork and things completely changed around and we went from being a total shambles to the most professional set up in the country. He'll do whatever it takes, and pick the players who should play.
Back to basics and brilliant stuff, hooking, blocking, he will change it, he changed Corcoran's grip the way he was doing it despite the fact that he'd been doing it another way for most of his life. Nothing was too small. 

He will make them competitive. I guarantee that. Or at the very, very least he will put the foundations for someone to carry on in the years to come if he's only staying a year.
It is such a cute move by the Limerick board.