Yes
31 (24.2%)
No
91 (71.1%)
Not sure
6 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Puckoon

With Gregory Campbell calling for a reintroduction of the death penalty and todays relatively grizzly execution in Saudi Arabia- what are your thoughts on the death penalty.

If you could make sure that the crime fit the penalty (eg child abuse, pre meditated murder to name a few), and that it was used in only cases where there was not a shred of doubt as to the guilt of the accused, would you be pro or anti the death penalty?

whiskeysteve

I think the death penalty offers little. Hypothetically speaking, if it was reintroduced in this part of the world it would only be called in the most extreme circumstances. Someone who is capable of the evil things that happened in the Saudi case is not likely to be deterred by a death penalty. So firstly I dont think it is a deterrent.

Secondly, there have been significant miscarriages of justice in Ireland down the years. It happens rarely but the potential for executing an innocent (or relatively innocent) person is there.

Lastly, this stunt by Campbell is a smokescreen to the real problem crime in this country, the petty theft, drug dealing, robbing the elderly, etc, the stuff a death penalty would not be entertained for
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

stew

Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 04, 2009, 03:32:29 PM
I think the death penalty offers little. Hypothetically speaking, if it was reintroduced in this part of the world it would only be called in the most extreme circumstances. Someone who is capable of the evil things that happened in the Saudi case is not likely to be deterred by a death penalty. So firstly I dont think it is a deterrent.

Secondly, there have been significant miscarriages of justice in Ireland down the years. It happens rarely but the potential for executing an innocent (or relatively innocent) person is there.

Lastly, this stunt by Campbell is a smokescreen to the real problem crime in this country, the petty theft, drug dealing, robbing the elderly, etc, the stuff a death penalty would not be entertained for

In extreme cases i am all for it, that saudi bastard deserved to die and in a case like that I think it is right to put them to death. Why should we all pay to keep a sc**bag like that alive?

the only problem I have is that from time to time a man will be wrongly convicted and that cant happen so life doing hard labour would be ok with me, if they worked seven days a week for 10 hours a day and locked up the rest of the time i would be ok with feeding them at the taxpayers expense.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Doogie Browser

The death penalty could have led to many innocents dying over the years of troubles, the Birmingham 6 for example.  Its a hard one to square with yourself though as I would be all for paedos, child killers and the like getting the extreme punishment, but how do you determine which crimes, where do you draw the line?  Think we have the right system in the West tbh.

Likes of Ian Huntley, Thomas Hamilton etc should never see the light of day, on the flipside they should also not be afforded the 'privileges' they seem to get inside, but thats another debate.

EC Unique

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 04, 2009, 04:03:58 PM
The death penalty could have led to many innocents dying over the years of troubles, the Birmingham 6 for example.  Its a hard one to square with yourself though as I would be all for paedos, child killers and the like getting the extreme punishment, but how do you determine which crimes, where do you draw the line?  Think we have the right system in the West tbh.

Likes of Ian Huntley, Thomas Hamilton etc should never see the light of day, on the flipside they should also not be afforded the 'privileges' they seem to get inside, but thats another debate.

I disagree we have the right system. Somebody who commits rape or childabuse can get a 8 year term and be out in 5 with good behavior. How is that 'the right system'

Doogie Browser

Quote from: EC Unique on November 04, 2009, 04:26:27 PM

I disagree we have the right system. Somebody who commits rape or childabuse can get a 8 year term and be out in 5 with good behavior. How is that 'the right system'
The subject is 'death penalty, yes or no?' Is it not?

Master Yoda

Pedophiles and rapists should not be kept in isolation from the rest of the prison population, dump the f**kers in with everyone else, there should be no special treatment or looking after these evil bastards, they would be killed within a day or 2, no need to reintroduce the death penalty just put them in jail with no protection. Everyone's a winner.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

EC Unique

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 04, 2009, 04:34:03 PM

You were the one who brought up 'the right system'
I was just pointing out that I think you are wrong but I guess the amount of time served is another argument.

Farrandeelin

Bring it back for all crimes, big or small. Then there'd be no need for people to live in fear anymore...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Minder

What was the "grizzly" execution in Saudi Puck?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Onion Bag

To be honest i have mixed views on it,

In one way I think yeh definetly kill the bad bastards

but then on another i think killing is too good for them, they should be tortured rather than killed, Paedo's and Rapist's and the likes,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Doogie Browser

Quote from: EC Unique on November 04, 2009, 05:03:16 PM

I was just pointing out that I think you are wrong but I guess the amount of time served is another argument.
'Right system' in regard to death penalty was my opinion only, I would never suggest that 5 yrs for child abuse and or rape would be ok and am offended you interpreted it that way.  But I accept your apology  ;)

EC Unique

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 04, 2009, 05:07:45 PM

'Right system' in regard to death penalty was my opinion only, I would never suggest that 5 yrs for child abuse and or rape would be ok and am offended you interpreted it that way.  But I accept your apology  ;)

Fair enough. As long as you have learned to make yourself more clear in the future my job is done ;) :P

Doogie Browser

Quote from: EC Unique on November 04, 2009, 05:12:49 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 04, 2009, 05:07:45 PM

Fair enough. As long as you have learned to make yourself more clear in the future my job is done ;) :P
Keep that up and it won't be long until you are walking the mile yourself  ;D

AbbeySider

Quote from: Master Yoda on November 04, 2009, 04:51:16 PM
Pedophiles and rapists should not be kept in isolation from the rest of the prison population, dump the f**kers in with everyone else, there should be no special treatment or looking after these evil b**tards, they would be killed within a day or 2, no need to reintroduce the death penalty just put them in jail with no protection. Everyone's a winner.

Nah, killing them would be much cheaper on the tax payer