Cavan's Top 3 GAA Players

Started by Celt_Man, October 30, 2009, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Coleman RIP - didnt have much of a record in handling men that were somewhat wayward or hot headed (as he was himself).
Bernard Morris - a fantastic club and county player, not exactly the deepest thinking man to officiate a team.
Cavan/Ballinagh are not on their own in this regard. Sure Meath couldnt utilise one of the other best CHB I have seen - Graham Geraghty - he ended up in the forwards because they couldnt get through to him. I know of a good few lads similar - Peter Farrell in Kildare - ended up never making it because of his temperment, Aidan connollly too.
But the same thing presides over all of these 'lost' CHB's - they were exceptional at the position as much as they were hot headed. From what I know and have been told , no one actually adressed the problems, just made a few half efforts and that was it.
Dont expect me to think that a couple of managers 'tried' with Gaynor !
What did they try ? A stern talking to, dropping him, moving him into the forwards.
Yes that psychology was always going to work.
A rough diamond with such talent is worth the extra effort required. If it fails , it fails , but for him and the others mentioned with maybe the exception being geraghty, they were all cast on the scrap heap after only mere token gestures of rehabilitation !

cornafean

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2009, 04:15:39 PM
Cavan/Ballinagh are not on their own in this regard. Sure Meath couldnt utilise one of the other best CHB I have seen - Graham Geraghty - he ended up in the forwards because they couldnt get through to him. I know of a good few lads similar - Peter Farrell in Kildare - ended up never making it because of his temperment, Aidan connollly too.
But the same thing presides over all of these 'lost' CHB's - they were exceptional at the position as much as they were hot headed.

Paul Donnelly of 1990s Tyrone was another one. I wonder would Mickey Harte have sorted him out?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: cornafean on November 12, 2009, 04:24:11 PM
But the same thing presides over all of these 'lost' CHB's - they were exceptional at the position as much as they were hot headed.

Paul Donnelly of 1990s Tyrone was another one. I wonder would Mickey Harte have sorted him out?
maybe
I'm not saying that he could be sorted out, but I dont think that there has been a decent enough effort to do so.
Its not like Cavan can afford not to try imo !

Gaynor if got right would get on at chb in any county team-  only Conor Gormley would maybe get the nod ahead of Gaynor but then again I'd pick Gormley elsewhere and have our wayward Cavan pup at the key position !

I've said enough on this. I dont expect people to agree, but I just dont think that enough effort has been made (intelligent effort) to get this lad right.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2009, 04:29:46 PM
Quote from: cornafean on November 12, 2009, 04:24:11 PM

maybe
I'm not saying that he could be sorted out, but I dont think that there has been a decent enough effort to do so.
Its not like Cavan can afford not to try imo !

Gaynor if got right would get on at chb in any county team-  only Conor Gormley would maybe get the nod ahead of Gaynor but then again I'd pick Gormley elsewhere and have our wayward Cavan pup at the key position !

I've said enough on this. I dont expect people to agree, but I just dont think that enough effort has been made (intelligent effort) to get this lad right.

i wouldnt rate Gaynor THAT high to be honest LB
IF his head could be gotten right,he would be a very good IC Defender,perhaps even one of the best in Ulster,but i cant say id be rating him alongside some of the best defenders of this genereation like Conor Gormley,
Anthony is a good lad away from the game,but he just cannot keep his head on the field.
Im afraid hes a lost cause.

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on November 12, 2009, 02:07:18 PM
(remember, we have three Ulster titles at minor, U21 and senior since 69).
That was massive for us, and Gaynor blew it in extra-time.

Jesus Drung some of your points are quite confusing.I honestly believed that Cavan had won 4 Ulster titles since 1969. Minor 1974,U-21 1988 and 1996 and Senior 97.Just for clarification-Is that Three or Four??
Next confusing point- If I remember rightly Anthony Gaynor got sent off with approximately 10 minutes to go in NORMAL time of the 2005 Ulster U-21 Final.  You mention he blew it in Extra-time but how could this be when he wasn't on the field?? Please clarify as the confusion is killing me.
Surely a man of your knowledge could not be wrong??

anglocelt39

He's away taking a crash course in comprehension and numeracy Booj, he should be back to you in a fortnight or so.

Mind you having said all that, a lot of people have fair points to make about AG. Lynchbhoys references to the half arsed efforts to sort the lad out would remind you of the great days of Eamon RIP-ffs ye wee C@#@t don't lose the F!@#!#in head and let the free state ba!!~!~#ards get ye sent off again ye !@#$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~!#@~!#~_and that was the league match against Waterford when we kicked seven goals past them a few years ago. For the record, Anthony got a yellow that day for off the ball stuff. the abuse really started when he made his way back to the dug out. The 5 waterford supporters gathered that day were breaking their holes. RIP wee man
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Drung

f**k it, what's the point!
Gaynor centre-back, Michael Fegan midfield and Boojnagles' old boy manager.
Good luck!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Drung on November 13, 2009, 12:08:38 PM
Good luck!
be no worse than some that have gone before !
(or are there currently!)  ;)

anglocelt39

A relation of his struck an umpire in the resulting melee

As well as Gaynor, Fegan and Booj's dad surely there's a role for Drung and Anthony Gaynors un-named relation in this set up. What the relevance of the above was to the Gaynor debate god knows but as we've seen before the fingers sometimes get ahead of the brain with our friend Drung. In fairness though, he's slowly getting the hang of the thing and at least didn't name the relation in question, naming names might have drawn the Mod's attention and Drung might be deleting posts, again.........
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

lynchbhoy

Quote from: anglocelt39 on November 13, 2009, 02:54:13 PM
A relation of his struck an umpire in the resulting melee

As well as Gaynor, Fegan and Booj's dad surely there's a role for Drung and Anthony Gaynors un-named relation in this set up. What the relevance of the above was to the Gaynor debate god knows but as we've seen before the fingers sometimes get ahead of the brain with our friend Drung. In fairness though, he's slowly getting the hang of the thing and at least didn't name the relation in question, naming names might have drawn the Mod's attention and Drung might be deleting posts, again.........
ah jaysuz - wouldnt go that far - Drung has a point that a lot of people share -- its just that I dont !
I certainly would like to see what Booj's Da would be like as Cavan manager though - def no worse than at least one unmentionable!
:D

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on November 13, 2009, 12:08:38 PM
Good luck!

Take it you were wrong then??
God luck as right.

BallyhaiseMan

Hopefully C4ever puts some manner's on him when training starts in the new year.  ;)