Cavan's Top 3 GAA Players

Started by Celt_Man, October 30, 2009, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drung

Lynchbhoy:

QuoteAnthony Gaynor
Fast Eddie

What are you basing your selection of Gaynor on? That's embarrassing.
As for 'Fast Eddie'? Is this Eddie Reilly? The same Eddie who can rarely even make a dire Cavan team?
I know this is all about opinions but selecting those two is just ludicrous.

The best I've seen have been:

1 McCabe
2 Larry Reilly
3 Peter Reilly

Boojangles:

QuoteI may have seen alot more of Michael Fegan than most Cavan supporters but I say it in earnest that he was the most talented footballer I have ever seen in flesh

Wow. More talented than Maurice Fitzgerald and Peter Canavan, Paddy Bradley, Dermot Earley, Darragh O Sé... Presume you've seen these fellas in the flesh.
What a player he must have been. Imagine, Cavan had a player of that ability in the county and couldn't win a match from 88 to 95. What's more, he couldn't get near the team in 97. That was some team to keep a player like that on the bench as an unused sub.
Lucky for Maurice Fitz that McHugh didn't pick Fegan, that Player of the Year award would be sitting in Micsín's gathering dust along with his 98 Cavan senior medal and his.... other medals.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Drung on November 09, 2009, 02:23:02 PM
Lynchbhoy:

QuoteAnthony Gaynor
Fast Eddie

As for 'Fast Eddie'? Is this Eddie Reilly? The same Eddie who can rarely even make a dire Cavan team?

1 McCabe
2 Larry Reilly
3 Peter Reilly
while Fast Eddie was a bit of a joke to make it a trio of 'durty' hoors
Gaynor and Connolly I would have to say are as good as Cavan have had in my lifetime.
Connolly never made it off the barstool poor fecker due to various reasons
Gaynor has a reputation somewhat overstated and his perf as a kid v down in breffni is one of the best I've seen from a CHB in a cavan Jersey apart from maybe Morris.

Again this is just in my lifetime watching football, and I've only been interested in Cavan football since 1987.
Peter Reilly was a v good footballer , but as you say its all about opinions. In mine he was good not great - maybe due to inj !

anglocelt39

Wow. More talented than Maurice Fitzgerald and Peter Canavan, Paddy Bradley, Dermot Earley, Darragh O Sé... Presume you've seen these fellas in the flesh.
What a player he must have been. Imagine, Cavan had a player of that ability in the county and couldn't win a match from 88 to 95. What's more, he couldn't get near the team in 97. That was some team to keep a player like that on the bench as an unused sub.
Lucky for Maurice Fitz that McHugh didn't pick Fegan, that Player of the Year award would be sitting in Micsín's gathering dust along with his 98 Cavan senior medal and his.... other medals.

I think it's safe to say Boojangles has seen all the above mentioned. I think the fairly obvious clue you are missing out on is in the thread title Drung. Cavan's top GAA players. So clearly what he thinks of those players and how he rates them relative to our best and finest is of no relevance to this thread. Rule Number 1 of trying to have a cut of another poster Drung, read their post first, engage the brain and then reply. You looked foolish a few weeks ago trying to disagree with Cavan Maniac while in fact if you'd read his post you were in violent agreement with him. Try a bit harder, you made one or two intelligent and interesting posts there a few months ago and maybe you can achieve that level again, sometime
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Drung

Lynchbhoy:
Peter Reilly was consistently excellent for Cavan for a decade. Gaynor was indeed absolutely brilliant against Down in 04, but that (he was class in the replay too to be fair) was the height of what he achieved in a Cavan jersey.
To list him as one of the three best is ridiculous - he had a couple of excellent matches, only lasted two or three seasons on the panel.
His reputation isn't exaggerated, either. The bigger the match and the tighter, the more chance he would implodeand get the line. I'm thinking of the Ulster U21 final, the All Ireland club semi-final with Ballinagh, a vital last day of the league against Meath and countless other games.
Ballinagh's first championship match this year against the Gaels when he was really needed, he struck a player and got the line five minutes in.
Here's another example of the difference between a wasted talent like Gaynor and a genuine top class county player like Peter: Both players played centre-back on brilliant Under 21 teams. Reilly was inspirational, lead his team to the All Ireland final.
Gaynor bottled it under pressure and got himself sent off in the Ulster final when the game was in the melting pot.
That's the difference.

Anglocelt:

The poster said: he was the most talented footballer I have ever seen in flesh.
Regardless of the thread title, that's a fairly straightforward statement.
Get off your high horse please.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Drung on November 09, 2009, 11:39:19 PM
Lynchbhoy:
Peter Reilly was consistently excellent for Cavan for a decade. Gaynor was indeed absolutely brilliant against Down in 04, but that (he was class in the replay too to be fair) was the height of what he achieved in a Cavan jersey.
To list him as one of the three best is ridiculous - he had a couple of excellent matches, only lasted two or three seasons on the panel.
His reputation isn't exaggerated, either. The bigger the match and the tighter, the more chance he would implodeand get the line. I'm thinking of the Ulster U21 final, the All Ireland club semi-final with Ballinagh, a vital last day of the league against Meath and countless other games.
Ballinagh's first championship match this year against the Gaels when he was really needed, he struck a player and got the line five minutes in.
Here's another example of the difference between a wasted talent like Gaynor and a genuine top class county player like Peter: Both players played centre-back on brilliant Under 21 teams. Reilly was inspirational, lead his team to the All Ireland final.
Gaynor bottled it under pressure and got himself sent off in the Ulster final when the game was in the melting pot.
That's the difference.
Peter reilly was a v good player.
I have seen Gaynor a few times and its not just one or two matches that make me believe that hes the best CHB cavan have produced certainly since Connolly and then Morris before him.

the problem I have is that he was fecked out way too quickly, on a whim from keoghan imo as dk didnt like him.

Yes gaynor is a problem currently, but imo other counties take some wayward lads like that and mould them into star players. Gaynor is a real chb Peter reilly was a great fotballer - not nearly the same imo.
I though Cavan would have learned from the connolly episode.

Drung

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, bizarre as it is!

You haven't fully made up your mind on Peter though, have you?  ;)

QuotePeter Reilly was a v good footballer , but as you say its all about opinions. In mine he was good not great

next post:

QuotePeter reilly was a great footballer

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Drung on November 10, 2009, 02:52:37 PM
Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, bizarre as it is!

You haven't fully made up your mind on Peter though, have you?  ;)

QuotePeter Reilly was a v good footballer , but as you say its all about opinions. In mine he was good not great

next post:

QuotePeter reilly was a great footballer
just humouring you!
imo Peter was good, but too many over rated him. I think that he could have been better but for the inj.
He was no Larry though !

my opinions might be bizarre as you put it but too many take the easy option and believe all they hear ! A big malaise in cavan for the past decade ! More unconventional thinking might have kicked them from their comatose stroll down easy street.
The writing was on the wall ever since 'player power'raised its head in the Liam austin debacle!

Denn Forever

Don't you know Lynchbhoy that Cavan footballers know best? 

It must be the manager's fault because other counties in Ulster have improved.  It must be the Manager/trainer's fault.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 10, 2009, 05:08:18 PM
Don't you know Lynchbhoy that Cavan footballers know best? 

It must be the manager's fault because other counties in Ulster have improved.  It must be the Manager/trainer's fault.
God knows how you lot feel as Cavan footballers frustrate me !

Will be paying the Breffni county a visit tomorrow. Must hide the wallet and throw muck on the car !
;)

Celt_Man

Hmmm personally I don't know how anyone could think Gaynor was a better footballer than Peter Reilly but Lynchbhoy is only expressing his opinion so I'll give him a pass..... for now  ;D

Peter done the business for Cavan year in and year from '95 at least to 2006 maybe???

Gaynor played a couple of dozen games league and championship and more often as not imploded/exploded when Cavan needed him with a few notable exceptions - the Down games mentioned earlier.  Definitely had the potential to be a big player for Cavan but at least Cavan doesn't have many players like that....  :-\
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on November 09, 2009, 02:23:02 PM
Lynchbhoy:

QuoteAnthony Gaynor
Fast Eddie

1 McCabe
2 Larry Reilly
3 Peter Reilly

Boojangles:

QuoteI may have seen alot more of Michael Fegan than most Cavan supporters but I say it in earnest that he was the most talented footballer I have ever seen in flesh

Good man Drung,took ya what, two weeks to come up with that brilliantly sarcastic reply.
What do they say about 'Presumptions being the mother of all f**k -Ups' Don't presume anything Drung. Especially when your in the comedy business.
As for Michael Fegan,I take it you disagree with my opinion.  I disagree with yours but it doesn't obviously bother me as much to spend 2 weeks thinking of a reply so you can laugh at yourself. But whatever amuses ya.

Drung

I actually missed this thread as I only ever check the Cavan one on local discussion.
You have stated before that you followed Cavan all over Ireland so presumed you would have seen those fellas in action in the flesh, I have seen them against Cavan.
Can you clarify because there is some confusion: Is Michael Fegan the most talented Cavan player you've ever seen in the flesh or most talented player full stop?
By the way you worded your post, it seems he is the most talented you've ever seen from any county. Fair enough.
I am astounded, but fair enough.
Even if he's not, it's amazing that the secret of this amazing talent you speak of has survived this long. I am a football fanatic, saw Fegan play a few times (hurling and fotball actually, believe it or not) and he always struck me as a decent club player. I have also never heard anyone state differently - that's not to say that others don't hold that view.

Meanwhile...

QuoteHmmm personally I don't know how anyone could think Gaynor was a better footballer than Peter Reilly but Lynchbhoy is only expressing his opinion so I'll give him a pass..... for now 

Peter done the business for Cavan year in and year from '95 at least to 2006 maybe???

Gaynor played a couple of dozen games league and championship and more often as not imploded/exploded when Cavan needed him with a few notable exceptions - the Down games mentioned earlier.  Definitely had the potential to be a big player for Cavan but at least Cavan doesn't have many players like that.... 

Wot 'e said!

boojangles

Quote from: Drung on November 10, 2009, 10:40:06 PM
I actually missed this thread as I only ever check the Cavan one on local discussion.
You have stated before that you followed Cavan all over Ireland so presumed you would have seen those fellas in action in the flesh, I have seen them against Cavan.
Can you clarify because there is some confusion: Is Michael Fegan the most talented Cavan player you've ever seen in the flesh or most talented player full stop?
By the way you worded your post, it seems he is the most talented you've ever seen from any county. Fair enough.
I am astounded, but fair enough.
Even if he's not, it's amazing that the secret of this amazing talent you speak of has survived this long. I am a football fanatic, saw Fegan play a few times (hurling and fotball actually, believe it or not) and he always struck me as a decent club player. I have also never heard anyone state differently - that's not to say that others don't hold that view.

Meanwhile...

QuoteHmmm personally I don't know how anyone could think Gaynor was a better footballer than Peter Reilly but Lynchbhoy is only expressing his opinion so I'll give him a pass..... for now 

Gaynor played a couple of dozen games league and championship and more often as not imploded/exploded when Cavan needed him with a few notable exceptions - the Down games mentioned earlier.  Definitely had the potential to be a big player for Cavan but at least Cavan doesn't have many players like that.... 

Wot 'e said!

Sorry to cause confusion Drung. I would never set out to cause anybody,especially somebody as esteemed and knowledgeable as yourself, any confusion.
As you might have guessed from the thread title I was talking about Cavan players.
Hope this doesn't cause you any further confusion. If it does, just let me know and I would only be too happy to clarify any confusing matters.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Celt_Man on November 10, 2009, 06:24:28 PM
Hmmm personally I don't know how anyone could think Gaynor was a better footballer than Peter Reilly but Lynchbhoy is only expressing his opinion so I'll give him a pass..... for now  ;D

Gaynor played a couple of dozen games league and championship and more often as not imploded/exploded when Cavan needed him with a few notable exceptions - the Down games mentioned earlier.  Definitely had the potential to be a big player for Cavan but at least Cavan doesn't have many players like that....  :-\
yes - but peter reilly had the benefit of a whole career playing for cavan, Gaynor has had his cut short and no one really seems tohave bothered their holes trying to do something to get this lad out of his bad habits and playing like the best chb in the country that I believe he is (or certainly one of the top couple)
Yep its just opinion, but I've seen cavan with gaynor and without him.

Drung

Yeah he's so good at centre half-back that his club have to play him in the forwards where there is less chance of him losing the plot!
Seriously, you are misinformed or deluded.
Gaynor's sendings off follow a trend, you see. He's not your average hot head who could be coaxed out of his habit, he's a choker who only gets the line when the pressure is on. He has proved this time and again for club and county.
Ergo, his club play him in attack where, if the going gets tough, he can hide rather than in defence where he will generally take someone out of it if he's in trouble.
Your comment about nobody bothering their holes is lazy. Eamon Coleman tried. Result? He cost us an Ulster U21 final (remember, we have three Ulster titles at minor, U21 and senior since 69). That was massive for us, and Gaynor blew it in extra-time.
Keogan tried. Result? No commitment.
Club manager Bernard Morris tried. Result? Couldn't handle him at first. Moved him then to full-forward and he played a bit part role as they won Cavan and Ulster Intermediate title. Then, with a place in the All Ireland club final up for grabs, he blew it and got red-carded.
A relation of his struck an umpire in the resulting melee, the club was slapped with a ban and has been in freefall since, resulting in relegation.
Trust me, I wish we had the Gaynor of Down 04 playing like that for Cavan, he was amazing in those games.
But that was the exception. His career wasn't 'cut short' as if he was injured or something. He got several chances and blew it. If one of the greatest man managers in the history of Gaelic games, Coleman, couldn't get his head right, who can?
Peter earned his place on the Cavan team for a decade by doing the business - he showed discipline, commitment and courage, three things Gaynor lacked.
It takes more courage, remember, not to react and to stay focused for the good of the team than to implode when it's all on the line.