The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 13, 2009, 07:07:57 PM
Quote from: delboy on November 12, 2009, 11:40:09 PM

So your come back is that this is an internet forum and therefore you should be allowed to make all sorts of claims and not have to back them up with any evidence.
That's fair enough but without any evidence to back them up, they are essentially worthless.
So what you are saying is your opinion is the only one of worth? Good for you then  :)
That's very generous of you to say that some people don't wear the poppy as some sort of fingers up to you, and that its only the small minded Northern Unionists that do (is there any southern ones anyway? whats with adding the northern?) and a majority at that. Yet another mind reader on here that would give Derren Brown a run for his money, i swear the talent on here is wasted.
The point I am making is that first of all, in my experience of this time of year it's always the same people wearing one - not all northern unionists wear one - the ones who do, again in my experience, are using it as a badge of their Britishness
Is it more than a coincidence that most of those people who I have based my observations on would be from Loyalist working-class areas as opposed to comfy middle-class areas ? Unionists from middle-class areas tend not to bother - it's either they have no relatives killed in the wars or they couldn't give a toss and I reckon it's the latter - they are more concerned with paying the mortgage and making sure daddy plays golf on saturday mornings while mommy has afternoon tea in the church hall on sunday afternoons

Also, I am not trying to be insulting or be a WUM, just telling it like I see it

The rest of your post wasn't worth commenting on, just letting you know  :D

Where did i say that my opinion is of any more worth, i didn't, instead i highlighted that opinions without any evidence are simply that just opinions, you choose to misrepresent me, good for you  ;D (standard debating style on here it seems).

So you have downgraded it from 'a vast majority' to just working class protestants, have you ever thought of a career in social anthropology you seem to have a real knack of it, and if that doesn't work out you could always go back to the mind reading as a back up. 

delboy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2009, 07:11:44 PM
Quote from: delboy on November 13, 2009, 03:46:38 PM
So no evidence, opinion presented as fact (a few liked minded people holding the same view is not evidence) and an attempt to label me bigotted/sectarian, same old tatics, its amazing what passes for debate on here.
Have a good weekend, hope your visual senses aren't accosted by any nasty poppies, we wouldn't want it ruined would we  ;)
Head in the sand

Head up your arse!

deiseach

lynchbhoy

Quote from: delboy on November 14, 2009, 12:37:14 AM
So no evidence, opinion presented as fact (a few liked minded people holding the same view is not evidence) and an attempt to label me bigotted/sectarian, same old tatics, its amazing what passes for debate on here.
Have a good weekend, hope your visual senses aren't accosted by any nasty poppies, we wouldn't want it ruined would we  ;)
Head in the sand

Head up your arse!
think I've already pointed out that you have commandeered this tactic as well !

take a trip over to England next year girls and actually gt out of yer wee blinkered orange powered comfort zone !
you can spout your nonsense stats on here and lack of points or any valid context all you like - but if you cant even accept reality - or just keep lying to yourselves - then good luck !
:D
btw its this intransigent mind set that helping erode away the six counties back into re-unification !
;)

Zapatista

Brian Hayes

It was the Ulster Unionists, which rightly demanded that the East West relationship between both islands must be part of any new agreement. While the Assembly and the Executive are currently in abeyance, the British Irish Council continues to work on agreed programmes. I believe it is crucial that we in the Republic come to a new appreciation of the British connections, which are such a central part of our history

I wasn't surprised that it was the Ulster Unionist Party who would invite a Fine Gael politician to an event such as this. Despite public perception, there are many similarities between both our parties.

I can't see why you argue agaisn FG being unionists (with a small u). They make no bones about it. It's common knowledge.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 14, 2009, 08:47:45 AM
Head in the sand

Head up your arse!

take a trip over to England next year girls and actually gt out of yer wee blinkered orange powered comfort zone !
you can spout your nonsense stats on here and lack of points or any valid context all you like - but if you cant even accept reality - or just keep lying to yourselves - then good luck !
btw its this intransigent mind set that helping erode away the six counties back into re-unification !
;)
Problem is the unionists want to be more British then the English themselves, it's an insecurity.
I seen two people on the 11th with poppies. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Olaf

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 13, 2009, 07:07:57 PM
Quote from: delboy on November 12, 2009, 11:40:09 PM

So your come back is that this is an internet forum and therefore you should be allowed to make all sorts of claims and not have to back them up with any evidence.
That's fair enough but without any evidence to back them up, they are essentially worthless.
So what you are saying is your opinion is the only one of worth? Good for you then  :)
That's very generous of you to say that some people don't wear the poppy as some sort of fingers up to you, and that its only the small minded Northern Unionists that do (is there any southern ones anyway? whats with adding the northern?) and a majority at that. Yet another mind reader on here that would give Derren Brown a run for his money, i swear the talent on here is wasted.
The point I am making is that first of all, in my experience of this time of year it's always the same people wearing one - not all northern unionists wear one - the ones who do, again in my experience, are using it as a badge of their Britishness
Is it more than a coincidence that most of those people who I have based my observations on would be from Loyalist working-class areas as opposed to comfy middle-class areas ? Unionists from middle-class areas tend not to bother - it's either they have no relatives killed in the wars or they couldn't give a toss and I reckon it's the latter - they are more concerned with paying the mortgage and making sure daddy plays golf on saturday mornings while mommy has afternoon tea in the church hall on sunday afternoons

A dig at working class Unionists with a side swipe at middle class ones based on your "research". ::)

IMO middle class Unionists are not too busy dealing with the mundane matters detailed in your ridiculous assertion to prevent them from remembering the war dead. The wearing of a poppy is an outward expression of this.

The super natural powers held by   some on this Board are quite staggering. ::)

Zapatista

Quote from: Olaf on November 14, 2009, 10:04:20 AM
A dig at working class Unionists with a side swipe at middle class ones based on your "research". ::)

IMO middle class Unionists are not too busy dealing with the mundane matters detailed in your ridiculous assertion to prevent them from remembering the war dead. The wearing of a poppy is an outward expression of this.

I didn't know there were working class Unionists, I thought they were called loyalists.

Olaf

Quote from: Zapatista on November 14, 2009, 10:09:02 AM
Quote from: Olaf on November 14, 2009, 10:04:20 AM

I didn't know there were working class Unionists,

There are.

Hardy

Quote from: Zapatista on November 14, 2009, 09:09:23 AM

Brian Hayes

It was the Ulster Unionists, which rightly demanded that the East West relationship between both islands must be part of any new agreement. While the Assembly and the Executive are currently in abeyance, the British Irish Council continues to work on agreed programmes. I believe it is crucial that we in the Republic come to a new appreciation of the British connections, which are such a central part of our history

I wasn't surprised that it was the Ulster Unionist Party who would invite a Fine Gael politician to an event such as this. Despite public perception, there are many similarities between both our parties.

I can't see why you argue agaisn FG being unionists (with a small u). They make no bones about it. It's common knowledge.

I sincerely hope this is a wind-up and doesn't represent your idea of a sensible argument.

Zapatista

It's perfectly sensible. What's your issue with the fact that FG are unionists. It's hardly a new idea. Everything FG do in relation to the north begins with unionism. FG position is one of shut up and accept the status quo. That is unionism, the status quo is the Union and FG believe all is as it should be. If you have a different definition of FGs position or unionism then state it. I might agree.

delboy

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 14, 2009, 08:47:45 AM
Head in the sand

Head up your arse!

;)

Show me were i used your crap no substance 'debating' tactics, i didn't i like to have a bit of evidence to back up assertions, you seem to find this an annoying irrelevance to getting your rather warped viewpoint across though. Oh i forgot thats crap debating tactic number 3 on here, make the claim that you quashed/pointed out the flaw in someones argument on a previous post and hope that no one notices that in reality you've done no such thing.

Have you ever even tried to engage with someone wearing a poppy (certainly no evidence of you engaging with people of differing opinions on here thats for sure), oh i forgot you don't need to you have special psychic abilities that allow you to read peoples thoughts.
And and you have a few like minded prejudiced characters on an internet forum (a forum setup to discuss an organisation whose basic aim is the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland) that share your same view (such a surprise), so of course you must be right.
Who needs such trifling things such as information, facts or evidence when you have the backing of your like minded peers, thats definitely the way forward for the island, we need more visionaries like yourself.

Hardy

Quote from: Zapatista on November 14, 2009, 10:41:33 AM
It's perfectly sensible. What's your issue with the fact that FG are unionists. It's hardly a new idea. Everything FG do in relation to the north begins with unionism. FG position is one of shut up and accept the status quo. That is unionism, the status quo is the Union and FG believe all is as it should be. If you have a different definition of FGs position or unionism then state it. I might agree.

If you did, I'd start to worry.

Good wind-up though.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Same time same place next year lads.  ;)
Tbc....

ardmhachaabu

delboy, I have noted your obvious distaste for my opinions

I think yours is wrong too, for what it's worth
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something