How Donal Óg cheated against Tipp in 2005!

Started by Premier Emperor, October 23, 2009, 11:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on October 28, 2009, 04:25:25 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2009, 04:22:45 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 28, 2009, 04:17:01 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2009, 04:11:01 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 28, 2009, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2009, 03:50:03 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 28, 2009, 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 28, 2009, 03:21:18 PM
The Rock I believe - rememerb him switching sliotars when taklng a peno against limerick.

He put it down his pants that day and got the balls bate aff him on the way up to the penalty spot.  ;) :D

He what??

Yep - you read it. He did indeed !  ;)

Is this what Reillers was alluding to when he mentioned other players cheating and that it wasn't confined to Donal og?

He also mentioned Babs taking a dry ball from 40 or 50 years ago - these Cork fellas have long memories.

Again (at this rate I'm going to have to explain what a penalty is to ya..) it wasn't against the rules because the rules weren't clear. But I didn't alude to anything. Out of them all the incident where Sully went all the way up the pitch with the sliotar in his shorts is one of the best known. There is rarely a hurling man out there who doesn't know about it.

Well I guess I presumed wrong.

If you're referring to the time that Diarmuid O'Sullivan attempted to cheat and bring a non-regulation ball into play - then yes I was fully aware of it

I hadn't realised that if one wasn't fully versed in the complex levels of Cork gamesmanship then you couldn't be classed as a 'hurling man'

Thanks for clearing that up anyway - sure we all know you're not a hurling man - you boycotted Cork hurling games and decided instead to cheerlead the pro's - hurling man indeed...

Course you were.. ::) ::) You just said you weren't.
And yet again, there was nothing that made it a non regulation ball at the time.
::) ::)
But hey, don't try and hide your like of knowledge behind insults, that's a bit boring.

Are you asking me whether I like knowledge or complimenting me on my lake of knowledge?

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2009, 04:23:35 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 28, 2009, 04:18:28 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2009, 04:16:11 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 28, 2009, 04:13:44 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on October 28, 2009, 03:49:23 PM
the difference with Cork is that they didn't just try and sneak in a dry ball or a new ball, but a Cummins ball that was below regulation size. It was the ball they trained with (which incidently is a beautiful sliotar - you get a very true strike of one of those) and I think they felt thus, they had an advantage over the opposition who may have trained with a slightly bigger, and definitely slower (in almost every case I can think of except maybe Nuri which are pure shite to begin with) sliotar.

The only difference with the ball is that it was a slight dud, but clearly there wasn't that much wrong with it, when you consider that Cork went straight up the pitch and scored a point with it.

Hadn't Cork been training with this type of ball and they were comfortable using a 'dud' and the opposition weren't comfortable using a dud - could it be called hurling that they were playing given a 'dud' was used instead of a sliothar?

What are you on about. The ball was for the penalty. Nothing else, Christ all mighty maybe I'll actually have to explain to ya what a penalty is, and why a softer ball would be more of a help to a keeper.

You just said in your previous post that Cork scored a point with this 'dud' straight after the penalty - did that score count??

Why wouldn't it have been counted? It wasn't against the rules (totally anyway) at the time. How many more times does it have to be explained to you.

Maiden1

I think I remember from watching Laochra Gael on Babs Keating where they asked him about switching the ball for a penalty and he did a bit of squirming, he didn't confirm or deny it.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

AZOffaly

I remember that O'Sullivan thing. It was great. Limerick lads were hopping off him the whole way up, and pointing at his arse like schoolkids telling tales to a teacher.

'Look at the Bold Boy Miss. He has a different sliothar!!'

INDIANA

Quote from: Maiden1 on October 28, 2009, 04:28:52 PM
I think I remember from watching Laochra Gael on Babs Keating where they asked him about switching the ball for a penalty and he did a bit of squirming, he didn't confirm or deny it.

Thats correct one of my favourite GAA people Babs "Slimfast " Keating. 1971 munster final vs limerick- pissing rain and the sliotar was  a big heavy heap of shite (bit like babs today really). They gave babs a towel to wipe his hurl before the peno with a sliotar concealed inside . Managed to swop the sliotars before the ref saw and he took the peno before the limerick lads could object and the rest as they say is history.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 28, 2009, 06:07:00 PM
I remember that O'Sullivan thing. It was great. Limerick lads were hopping off him the whole way up, and pointing at his arse like schoolkids telling tales to a teacher.

'Look at the Bold Boy Miss. He has a different sliothar!!'

Then you must remember when the 'Rock' ::)  rolled around on the ground like a little boy when one of the Limerick players tried to pull the sliothar off him. Give us the whole truth not half of it.   

Bord na Mona man

If I recall correctly, Babs Keating said that one occasion in the 80s,Tipperary soaked their sliotars in a bath full of water the night before the Munster final against Cork.
The reasoning being that one of Cork's main attacking weapons was Ger Cunningham's long puck outs that could travel beyond the half forward line.

Even after the sliotar issue was clarified a couple of years ago, I remember Donal Og being caught trying to introduce his own sliotars into the game. Even though his preferred brand of Cummins sliotars were permitted, they had to have a stamp on them to indicate they were from a GAA approved batch.

orangeman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 28, 2009, 08:32:21 PM
If I recall correctly, Babs Keating said that one occasion in the 80s,Tipperary soaked their sliotars in a bath full of water the night before the Munster final against Cork.
The reasoning being that one of Cork's main attacking weapons was Ger Cunningham's long puck outs that could travel beyond the half forward line.

Even after the sliotar issue was clarified a couple of years ago, I remember Donal Og being caught trying to introduce his own sliotars into the game. Even though his preferred brand of Cummins sliotars were permitted, they had to have a stamp on them to indicate they were from a GAA approved batch.

Naught, naughty boy.

Reillers

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 28, 2009, 08:32:21 PM

That was the 87 fMunster final against Cork, mpore then that, didn't he put someone behind the goals to throw them into Cuningham. Fecked up his puckouts all day long, dropping 20/30 feet short. Tipp ended up winning all right, was a replay that year if I remember rightly as well.

And to be fair, that's a lot worse then changing a sliotar for a penalty.

There's a fair bit of "cuteness" that teams try to get away with, Kilkenny have their aggresive grabbing peoples helmets style, we've change the sliotars style.
Incredibly the sliotar changing has been stamped out yet refs are still till this day oblivious to Kilkenny messing about with helmets.
I know which one seems more out of line then the other, and it isn't the one where we try to play with our prefered legal brand of sliotars.

Top of the hill

Is grabbing an opponent's helmet not a booking offence now?
Did they bring in a new rule about this a while back?
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Top of the hill on October 29, 2009, 12:00:07 AM
Is grabbing an opponent's helmet not a booking offence now?
Did they bring in a new rule about this a while back?

no, it applies only to the faceguard, not the helmet.

ha ha derry

If changing the ball for a penalty wasn,t against the rules, why didn,t O Sullivan not just go to the ref and say " I,m just going to change the ball for this penalty".  ??? ??? ???

maxpower

Changing balls for a peno or free happens all across the Country, and to be honest i've no big gripe with it, at the end of it all the team changing the ball are supposed to be having an advantage.  using a dud ball is a different matter
What happens next????

Reillers

Quote from: maxpower on October 29, 2009, 11:26:15 AM
Changing balls for a peno or free happens all across the Country, and to be honest i've no big gripe with it, at the end of it all the team changing the ball are supposed to be having an advantage.  using a dud ball is a different matter

Oh ya, every other team puts in a perfectly good ball, it's just changed for the laugh, nothing better to do. But hey that's fine. And sure it's grand if the penalty tacker changes the ball for their advantage, but  not for the defence to do the same.
What happened was no different to the soaked balls, dry balls..etc.

And it wasn't a dud, ya that was my word, dud-ish is what I used I think, but it was just a bit soft more then anything else. And like I said Cork went straight up the pitch and scored a point with it so clearly there was very little wrong with it.
So get off the high horse and stop arguing for the sake of trying to whinge about Donal Og, it's tiring at this stage.

magpie seanie

Well from my reading of it I'd class it as cheating. If your belief system makes you think that just because there isn't a specific rule outlawing something then its fine I'd have to say I disagree. He knew well it was cheating and got a kick out of it. Writing "Tipp" on the ball - shows the respect he has for his fellow competitors. GPA my hole.