Traditional Irish Food

Started by Lecale2, October 20, 2009, 09:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 21, 2009, 12:39:34 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2009, 12:00:34 AM
Dunno Bod. There little enough beastings around when the hay is being saved. Thats late for cows calving.

Ah the hay is saved fairly late down our way, try and coincide with the cows calving and bringing home the turf. The rest of the year is left for talking about football :)
Quote from: ludermor on October 21, 2009, 12:33:39 AM
Another one for Bod Mor id say,
Carregeen Moss, boiled so it turns to jelly and and taken to ward off the ravages of the winter.

How did I leave out the carrageen moss!! Love the stuff, It's handy for the winter surely. Many a time I was nearly killed collecting the stuff!

Jaysus your some chancer. Far from moss and beastings you were reared. Its not about hay being saved late but the cows calve earlier in the year. You must have had a poor granny lived near the sea in hard times whose only cow calved in July.

Bod Mor

Quote from: moysider on October 21, 2009, 12:46:28 AM

Jaysus your some chancer. Far from moss and beastings you were reared. Its not about hay being saved late but the cows calve earlier in the year. You must have had a poor granny lived near the sea in hard times whose only cow calved in July.

Yeah, up around your way the big farmers with yer hundreds of acres, big Landini tractors and big sheds it's a good idea to have cows calving early on in the year but on small farms (couple of acres and a handful of cows) it doesn't work that way.

Chancer?  ???

Some conlusions you're jumping to!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

ross4life

Traditional Bacon and Cabbage with Mustard Sauce but in the usa it's cornbeef and cabbage ::) & stew is a traditional Irish dish made from lamb, beef or mutton
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

johnneycool

Quote from: Bod Mor on October 20, 2009, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 20, 2009, 10:20:32 PM
goody
boxty
cally

Proper Irish food

Deadly!!

Also: Bacon, turnips and spuds
Bacon and cabbage...and spuds
Mackerel cooked on the tongs with a feed of spuds and a raw onion
Gorra bui (beastings from a cow boiled up)
Cally with spring onions cut up (Ya know the summer is on the way when ya have this!)

I'm almost afraid to ask what beastings are, is it the afterbirth?

Fresh soda bread and wheaten bread still moist, not that shite served up by Ormeau, just off the griddle with melted butter and a dollup of jam. Used to get it most days after coming home from school.

saffron sam2

Oh and fish and chips was in it too.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Harold Disgracey

Portadown's gift to the cullinary world spud apple bread. Basically its potato bread filled with bramley apples & loads of sugar, cooked on a griddle & served with butter & more sugar.

brokencrossbar1

Hard to beat bacon and cabbage fried on the pan.  the bacon has to be good and salty ;D  Nice floury spuds as a base, with the bacon and cabbage on top, finished off with 2 runny fried eyes.  Food of the gods ;D

redhugh

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 21, 2009, 11:00:09 AM
Hard to beat bacon and cabbage fried on the pan.  the bacon has to be good and salty ;D  Nice floury spuds as a base, with the bacon and cabbage on top, finished off with 2 runny fried eyes.  Food of the gods ;D

Runny fried eggs with cabbage!! That is is some fcuked up sh*t.I would'nt fancy cleaning your cage.

magpie seanie

Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 11:52:45 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 20, 2009, 11:44:19 PM
Bacon and cabbage with the cabbage boiled in the pot with the bacon. Serve with loads of floury spuds. Use butter and/or the cabbage water for extra moisture. I always eat at least two plates of it. Can't get enough.

Is there another way to prepare it?

This mention of frying the cabbage made me think I had to be clear about the way it should be done. Must be an Ulster thing this frying the cabbage. Don't understand why myself.

Hardy

She had childer in the barn, she had childer in the byre
And another ten or twelve sittin roarin by the fire.
She fed them on potatoes and on soup she made from nettles
And lumpsa hairy bacon that she boiled up in the kettle.

stpauls

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 21, 2009, 11:07:27 AM
Bacon and cabbage with the cabbage boiled in the pot with the bacon. Serve with loads of floury spuds. Use butter and/or the cabbage water for extra moisture. I always eat at least two plates of it. Can't get enough.

This mention of frying the cabbage made me think I had to be clear about the way it should be done. Must be an Ulster thing this frying the cabbage. Don't understand why myself.

fry the bacon and a pan, and then fry the boiled cabbage in the bacon fat afterwards. YUM YUM!!!

delboy

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 21, 2009, 11:07:27 AM

If its not fried its not worth a f**k.

That statement holds true for about 90 % of food  ;D

Canalman

I've been told that banana sandwiches are not too common outside Ireland. Might qualify as a TIF.

ludermor

a lad i work with has a banana sandwich with cheese and raspberry jam.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: mournerambler on October 20, 2009, 11:58:22 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 20, 2009, 11:52:57 PM
lol you's culchies are all the same

"ooh cabbage oooh turnips "

turnips and cabbage is bogging
:D

I suppose your a fan of venison with chilli & chocolate sauce or some yuppie stuff like it fitz ;D
don't knock it  ;)
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 21, 2009, 10:48:12 AM
Portadown's gift to the cullinary world spud apple bread. Basically its potato bread filled with bramley apples & loads of sugar, cooked on a griddle & served with butter & more sugar.
The food of kings. Up there with wheaten bread.