Who is going to win the All Ireland Football title this year?

Started by snappiered, January 30, 2007, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Spangler

Considering Tyrone did nothing in 2006 I'm surprised so many are tipping them for 2007.

Dublin needs to put up or shut up this year.  They've been there or there abouts for a few years now and they can't go on saying they're building or that they're one or two players short.  They've been saying that for too long now and if they don't get there this year I can't see the current crop ever doing it.  I think they can though and they'd be my favourites this year.  Kerry have to replace a few players and they need the time to do that before they can have another tilt.  Tyrone have a lot to prove before they can be seen as real contenders.  They haven't won a major game since PTG retired and that's something that must be addressed.  Armagh have flattered to deceive since 2002 - 5 years ago now.  I can't see them doing it this year.

haze

This hurts considering i think Laois will give the Dubs a mighty rattle in the Leinster final but i think Dublin might just bridge the gap and rekindle memories of 1995

Spiritof98

I think Mayo are a good bet

Head says Tyrone, heart says armagh

I'll go back if Marsdens back

darbyo

Think Tyrone will win it this year but Cork are real dark horses, only team to beat Kerry in last years championship and have more young quality players comming through than most.They have the backs and midfield if some of their young forwards step up to the mark they'll really give it a good go.

nrico2006

I find it hilarious when posters state idiotic comments on Tyrone having not performed since the 2005 AIF and quotes such that they relied on PC etc.  Yes, they did nothing last year, and everybody knows why.  We've been into it many a time before, but it seems that posters are either dense or have the memory of a goldfish.  Tyrone and Kerry are the two top teams in Ireland, Fact.  Tyrone lost the services of 7 or 8 KEY men last summer, so their performances can be put into perspective.  In 2005 they won most matches without Canavan, and showed that they do not need him.  If they have a fully fit side this year they will do well.  Will take a great performance to beat them when they are in full flight.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mid Mon

GalwayBayBoy

Tyrone or Dublin.

Think Kerry might have lost one or two important players that might stop them retaining.

Bogball XV

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 30, 2007, 04:24:00 PM
Yes, they did nothing last year, and everybody knows why.....  In 2005 they won most matches without Canavan, and showed that they do not need him. 
Indeed, they did nothing last year cos they had no PTG, now, they may have won most of their matches without PTG in 2005, but imo they would not won any of the big matches, say their last 2 games of that series for example.
Tyrone will go close, but, i don't think they will win just yet, will O'Neill ever be that good again, will McGuigan be able to regain full fitness, will Dooher be able (physically and mentally) to recapture the hunger, will some of the young lads actually nail down a place on the starting 15........
There are too many questions about Tyrone imo, they may be the best in Ulster, but that may not be good enough this season.

Will Hunting

Maybe I do have the memory of a goldfish, but can someone please name me the 8 KEY men Tyrone had missing last year?

I agree that Tyrone people are optimistic about their chances - but they have every right to be I suppose, considering what they've done over the past 4 years. Last year proved though that they can be beaten (missing Canavan etc. and he won't be back), so I won't pin them down as my favourites this year until I see them produce some sort of Championship winning form. Something (as people have rightly said) they have been woefully short of since Sept '05.

mouview

Much of a muchness innit? Easy to make excuses for who won't win it; Kerry have lost several players, Daragh O'Se may never reach the heights again and Donaghy will suffer difficult second season (and third, fourth and fifth as well). Tyrone will be solid but won't have a PTG to direct the forward play, Dooher works hard but hasn't the quality while Mugsy is very hit and mostly miss from now on. Hard to see Armagh doing anything, where are the players going to come from? They had to use an over-the-hill McGeeney to shore up midfield at times last year. Dublin still lack a couple of scoring forwards but home advantage, momentum and hunger may carry them a long way. Mayo's year could depend a lot on the result in Pearse stadium; defeat could induce doubts while victory will set them up nicely for a 1/4 tilt. Still need a few new players in defence and attack.

As for the rest, Galway will have an improved defence this year, a very middling midfield and a labouring attack. Ja's presence will improve things but not even he could carry a forward line if it includes Nicky, Matt Clancy and Cormac Bane. Paul Clancy will be a big loss again but PJ will probably return at some stage. A win at home over Mayo won't suffice for the year though. Laois are never going to be any better than they are; Cork lack a lot of players but have a good spine. Donegal may be the dark horses to keep an eye on.

Ultimately it looks like Dublin and Tyrone have the fewest answers to find IMHO.

lordylordy

Well if Tyrone winning the AI is depending on Doohers hunger they have it in the bag already!! His dedication/hunger is unreal, plus I hear he's pulling them injured boys through training by the hair at times!! A real leader! But it wont be that simple unfortuantely!
As for Canavan, I think Tyrone have yet to get out of a real tight one without Canavan. When you look at the times Tyrone really could have lost it, most of them involved a bit of magic from Canavan - penalty in drawn game against Down in Ulster Final 2003, the lift of him coming on in AIF 2003, the last chance free he pointed against Armagh in semi 2005, his goal in AIF 2005, to mention just a few!Of course the rest of the team are well capable of doing these things too, its just always been that when Canavan was there it was always him that accetped the burden. But what the Tyrone players now have as an advantage is that they've learned a hell of a lot from him.
But as for predictions - every team needs their luck, and this time last year Tyrone were looking pretty good too, and we all know how it panned-out!
Dublin this Saturday will be a big clue!
I wouldn't be writing-off Kerry though!

nrico2006

Tyrone were missing brian dooher, brian mcguigan, colin holmes, conor gormley, gerard cavlan, stephen o'neill and enda mcginley for all or most of last years championship.  People asking will O'Neill be as good, why would he not.  The lad is about 26 and has plenty of years in him.  As for not winning the big matches in 2005 without canavan, I recall them beating the Dubs without him, and fair enough he hit the winning free against armagh.  But Im sure that if mugsy or someone else had hit it, they would have scored it.  McGuigan will be back, and he will be the key.  But the deciding factor will be his condition, will he be at his best or not.  Maybe he will, or maybe it will take him th guts of 7/8 months to get back to his best.  People asking will Dooher have the hunger, he is the most driven man Ive ever seen.  He is training flat out himself, he is such a dedicated and determined man.  Apparently he is training with the injured players, and he is running them into the ground.  Not saying tyrone will win it this year, but on their day they are untouchable
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Kerry Mike

The Dream of a two-in-a-row lives on and why can't it happen in 2007. So I stick my neck out and go for Kerry.

Kerry will use the league as a bedding in period for the new management and to try out some new players and if they get that hunger and focus right they wont be far away come championship time.

Kerry have a very strong panel of players from last year and alot of those extra 15 lads will be bursting a gut to make the starting 15 this year. Pat O'Shea I believe will give all lads a decent chance.

The motivation of beating Cork in Munster will be great this year after our debacle last year in Munster and then its down to the luck of the draw in the 1/4 finals, and we have yet to lose a 1/4 final.

Other than us, In Ulster I think Armagh may be at their last chance with most of the 2002 team still in place, Clarke will be a huge loss, and does McGeeney have the legs, but if they can blood some of their U21 they will have a chance, but will their focus be on winning Ulster again and not on the bigger prize.
Big year for Armagh, the Kerry defeat will hurt from last year, but its now time to shit or get off the pot if that team is to match Tyrone in winning a second AI..

Tyrone will be there but can they return to former glories of 03 and 05 and without the Great Bald Eagle will they have a leader. This is a huge year for Tyrone.

As for the rest of Ulster, I cant see an All Ireland winner amoungst them. Donegal and Fermanagh have potental but will fall short, Ross Carr has a huge task in Down but its will take more than one year, for personal reasons would like to see Monaghan progressing but they dont seem to have built on their recent advancement.

Mayo will need radical surgery if they are to get over last years final drubbing, and I cant see it with the players Mayo have, John O'Mahoney needs to get control of the dressing room which M&M seemed to lose last year and needs to get the players playing to a team winning system.

Galway have the talent but need to produce a team capable of taking on from their last winning team of 01.
Roscommon will take a few years to see the benifit of their fine minors.

Dublin were the most hyped team last year and if their bandwagon starts rolling again it will be the same this year, but its time they start delivering on the field and stopped strutting to the gallery on Hill 16. Leinster looks piss poor Dublin included, Laois had their chances but dont look to have the strength needed to push on for Sam. Meath, Kildare and Offaly dont seem to be progressing and Wexford and Westmeath seem to have gone backwards from their highs.

As for my neighbours from the east coast of Kerry, beating us in Munster is one thing but losing a 3rd AI semi final to us must hurt badly. Can Billy do the miracle, I dont think they have it in them mentally to win an All Ireland.

So there you have it Kerry for 2-in-a-row, but what the feck would I know.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football