Inter-Provincial championship

Started by Ti Chulainn, October 20, 2009, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ti Chulainn

Been very little talk about this, with the International Rules off you'd think there'd be more interest...

Ulster face Leinster at Crossmaglen on Saturday at 2.30pm
Munster and Connacht at the Gaelic Grounds later that evening.

Kernan keen for Ulster to show class

Oct 20, 2009
photo

Having got off the mark with Galway, Joe Kernan's attentions have returned to his native province as he gears up for Ulster's tilt at the Inter-Provincial championship, a campaign that gets underway with a semi-final against Leinster this Saturday.

Former Armagh boss Kernan - who saw over Galway's FBD League final win in New Yorl last week - takes charge of Ulster for the game and has been very pro-active in preparation as he looks to show the country that just because Ulster have won nothing at senor national level this year, that does no mean they have gone away.

Kernan is pleased that, although Munster kingpins Kerry and Cork dominated the All-Ireland football championship in 2009, there were still two All Stars handed out to Ulster men with Donegal's Karl Lacey and Tyrone's Stephen O'Neill receiving awards, while Tír Chonnaill front man Michael Murphy was named the Young Footballer of the year on the back of a fine season in which he scored 0-36 in six Championship outings.

"He is in my squad and he is showing massive potential," Kernan said of 20-year-old Murphy in the Belfast Telegraph.

"It's certainly great from an Ulster perspective that Karl Lacey, who has given the province fine service and Stephen O'Neill, another good ambassador, have won All Star awards.

"We want to go out on Saturday against Leinster and show that Ulster football is in a healthy state even though the Sam Maguire Cup is not in residence here at the moment."

And while he is without a number of instantly recognisable Ulster faces who are still involved in club competition, Kernan has been very impressed by the senior men who he has had at training, men like Down's Benny Coulter, Derry's Paddy Bradley and Tyrone pair Enda McGinley and Kevin Hughes, who he says have all been fist class in their application.

"In the challenge games and training sessions we have held there has been tremendous enthusiasm and commitment shown by the players." he said.

"This is most encouraging. Obviously several players have been involved with their clubs in county championships and others are injured so we have to go with the hand which we are dealt."

Ulster face Leinster at Crossmaglen on Saturday with the other semi-final taking place between Munster and Connacht at the Gaelic Grounds later that evening.

Rossfan

I think you'll find that hardly anyone cares a hoot about this outdated competition. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zapatista

If they'd market it to half the effort they marketed the International Rules it would help.

Rossfan

Not very much as there's simply NO PUBLIC INTEREST.
A few years  ago they played the 2 Finals in Croke Park and geave away thousands of free tickets yet only about 10,000 turned up.
The Inter Pros are and have been dead for decades so let them rest in peace.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

down6061689194

Danny Hughes won't be playing for ulster as he's playing a Play off on Friday.

ExiledGael

Would a Saturday night under lights not have made more sense, no hope of me getting to the game in Cross now.

sizzler

Not sure those grounds would be big enough in terms of pitch dimensions Tony. The wembley stands were far enough back from the pitch to accomodate the gaelic pitch.
Enjoy the match on saturday. Should give you another chance to see a few of the Tyrone stars in action once again.   ;)

bennydorano

I'm sure I'll go and watch it, watched it in Enniskillen a few years back and the standard of football was superb. Very strong looking Ulster panel.

nrico2006

QuoteDanny Hughes won't be playing for ulster as he's playing a Play off on Friday.

Doubt he would have been playing anyway.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blanketattack

When's the last time provinces put out a full strength team?
The interest has waned so much that players who haven't even played intercounty were getting on the interprovincial teams.

Celt_Man

Quote from: bennydorano on October 21, 2009, 01:26:42 PM
I'm sure I'll go and watch it, watched it in Enniskillen a few years back and the standard of football was superb. Very strong looking Ulster panel.

Where can I see the Ulster panel??

Quote from: T Fearon on October 21, 2009, 03:33:49 PM
I have to confess, in 35 years of active gaeldom, I have never yet attended an interprovincial tie.

I do recall that the finals used to be played on St Patrick's Day with live tv coverage and I recall a cracking game between Ulster and Leinster at Breffni Park in the early 80s which went to extra time with both sides laden with the top players of the time, really slugging it out.

I used to go with the auld boy during the mid 90s to these games.  Cavan would always have 3 or 4 (more sometimes) on the Ulster teams, the matches were very enjoyable and always were well attended as far as I can recall... how times have changes... would be surprised if there are 2 cavan boys on the panel
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Real1995

Ulster Team

J Devine (Tyrone),
R McCluskey (Fermanagh),
Justin McMahon (Tyrone),
G O'Kane (Derry,
A Kernan (Armagh),
C McKeever (Armagh),
D Harte (Tyrone),
D Gordon (Down),
K Hughes (Tyrone),
P Finlay (Monaghan),
B Coulter (Down),
Joe McMahon (Tyrone),
P Bradley (Derry),
S O'Neill (Tyrone),
M Murphy (Donegal).

Stephen O'Neill will captain the team in Crossmaglen.....
Nice guys always finish second!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Real1995 on October 21, 2009, 08:34:01 PM
Ulster Team

J Devine (Tyrone),
R McCluskey (Fermanagh),
Justin McMahon (Tyrone),
G O'Kane (Derry,
A Kernan (Armagh),
C McKeever (Armagh),
D Harte (Tyrone),
D Gordon (Down),
K Hughes (Tyrone),
P Finlay (Monaghan),
B Coulter (Down),
Joe McMahon (Tyrone),
P Bradley (Derry),
S O'Neill (Tyrone),
M Murphy (Donegal).

Thats a fair good full forward line!
That was never a square ball!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: Real1995 on October 21, 2009, 08:34:01 PM
Ulster Team

J Devine (Tyrone),
R McCluskey (Fermanagh),
Justin McMahon (Tyrone),
G O'Kane (Derry,
A Kernan (Armagh),
C McKeever (Armagh),
D Harte (Tyrone),
D Gordon (Down),
K Hughes (Tyrone),
P Finlay (Monaghan),
B Coulter (Down),
Joe McMahon (Tyrone),
P Bradley (Derry),
S O'Neill (Tyrone),
M Murphy (Donegal).

Flip me that is some team!!

At least O'Neill is doing his bit to promote the game unlike the GAA - not a word about it otherwise

O'Neill talks up interprovincials

Ahead of the commencement this weekend of this year's inter-provincial football competition, multi-decorated Tyrone attacker Stephen O'Neill has spoken of his pride in running out onto the field in an Ulster jersey.

"I've one medal won in Paris in 2004," O'Neill explained.

"It would be nice to win another and Crossmaglen is as good a place as anywhere to get things underway on Saturday.

"I first played in the competition in 2001 and I have always enjoyed playing for Ulster and always found the Railway Cup very competitive and good to be involved in.

"I think it is a great competition and it is not very often that you get to play with other players from other counties.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010