Rules You would like to see changed

Started by Mickey Linden, October 20, 2009, 02:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Well, just wondering what rules in the Gaa would you change if any? I have 3 that I can think of
1) Do away with the square ball rule. I dont see the point of it anymore as keepers are offered enough protection these days.
2) If a team gets a player sent off in normal time they are able to bring a player on in extra time. I would do away with this also.
3) Standardise the length of games. ie. have them all 60 mins or 70. Preferbley 70. This does not seem to happen in other sports

screenexile

Quote from: Mickey Linden on October 20, 2009, 02:25:02 PM
Well, just wondering what rules in the Gaa would you change if any? I have 3 that I can think of
1) Do away with the square ball rule. I dont see the point of it anymore as keepers are offered enough protection these days.
2) If a team gets a player sent off in normal time they are able to bring a player on in extra time. I would do away with this also.
3) Standardise the length of games. ie. have them all 60 mins or 70. Preferbley 70. This does not seem to happen in other sports

Excellent point actually why are club games shorter?

fer fox ache

First rule I'd get rid of would be having to kick a free 13 metres, I see know reason why a team that has been awarded a free shouldn't be allowed to kick it whatever distance suits them

Onion Bag

Would love to see the Horn introduced to do away injury time, same as Aussie Rules and Ladies Football, just as a trial to see what way it works out
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

redhandloo

The square ball seems to be the most contentious and most difficult rule to referee in the game
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

ziggysego

These two definitely.

Plus, what's the point with the plastic cones the goalie use? Wasn't football ok with it before?
Testing Accessibility

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: redhandloo on October 20, 2009, 02:54:19 PM
The square ball seems to be the most contentious and most difficult rule to referee in the game
and pointless
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 20, 2009, 03:03:54 PM
and pointless

How would you prevent an outfield player standing on top of the keeper all game, or would that be OK?

screenexile

Quote from: ziggysego on October 20, 2009, 02:57:10 PM

These two definitely.

Plus, what's the point with the plastic cones the goalie use? Wasn't football ok with it before?

Nah zig can't agree with that. It wasn't a problem with IC football but at the lower levels and certainly when I played abroad it was a nightmare when a keeper can't kick the ball off the fecking ground. Along with that the cone helps to reduce injuries to keepers and to protect pitches a bit more I think its a great idea. They are also optional so it's up the keeper himself if he wants to use it or not.

screenexile

Quote from: johnneycool on October 20, 2009, 03:16:07 PM
and pointless

How would you prevent an outfield player standing on top of the keeper all game, or would that be OK?

Make it like basketball? An attacking player is not allowed to stand in the square for more than 2 seconds or something?

magpie seanie

60 minutes is plenty long enough for club football thank you very much!

full back

Quote from: screenexile on October 20, 2009, 03:20:13 PM
and pointless

Make it like basketball? An attacking player is not allowed to stand in the square for more than 2 seconds or something?

Would be impossible to enforce screen.
Look how much complaining there is about players even being in the square nevermind having to count how long they are in the square

brokencrossbar1

Instead of the square ball rule as it is, make it clear cut that no player from the opposition is allowed in the square at any time full stop.  There is no question of interpretation.  It is not so big a space that tat can't be managed

blewuporstuffed

and pointless

if they want to do that , then fine. i cant see that being a very effective tactic though
as long as they dont commit a foul then whats wrong with an outfield player out fielding the goalkeeper in the square?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

Make sure all sideline kicks/ cuts are struck outside the sideline.