Donal Og's Book

Started by passedit, October 18, 2009, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: longrunsthefox on October 21, 2009, 07:57:20 PM
Reillers, I did sink a bit there but the whole thing is a cynical bullsh*t way of selling his book. It was common knowledge he is gay... so what?!! Donal Og has been attention seeking for a number of years and brings a lot of the abuse on himself. There is another high profile gay player who just gets on with it and no-one bothers about it.   

Not for everyone, hell not even for a lot of people. He confirmed rumours, but I think it was something he had to do personal, it had very little to do with selling books, he probably would have sold books without saying it, can you see the older generation GAA fan, 50+ range going out and buying the book now?I
He'll bring a hell lot more of abuse on him now, but he hasn't gone looking for it, nobody ever does.
And the amount of abuse that he'll get from certain people who will be doing it for their personal oppinion of him himself, or their beliefs or hell even just for a "joke" wont be made up for in book sales.
Like I said, if you heard him talk in it, he wouldn't do it to himself, his family or the lads on the pitch next to him, because like he says, it bothers them more then it does him.

And if you're telling me that it's no big deal coming out, as a high profile still active player, then you're either incredibly naive or you dislike him that much so you downgrade it.
Take you're pick.

Reillers

Quote from: Minder on October 21, 2009, 08:31:19 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 21, 2009, 07:39:04 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 21, 2009, 07:29:04 PM
He said that when he told Sean Og he never had the same relationship with him.

All his teammates came out and support him, Corcoran and Sean Og especially, fair play to them as well. All legends.

Why did he say his friendship with Sean Og has not been the same since he told him then?
Did you read the entire thing, you've taken it way out of context.

Reillers

Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 21, 2009, 08:56:32 PM
And in another development, the Cork public better known as The Langers have again lined the streets of their real capital in a show of suport for the Cork hurlers.

Meanwhile the new Cork Jerseys has been launched for 2010

Home

2nd Jersey

Yerra its all old news now about Donal Og anyway.

Oh ya, another one of those types, the ones who'll think that the odd comment or chant is just a joke, and a bit of fun.

Hopefully all those types will be clamped down on and kicked out onto the street where they belong.
Hopefully it will be immediate reaction and not like when Sully had to go seek out a garda to throw out the idiot with the megaphone in the Tipp game.
It's a disgrace that he was let continue chanting, and everyone around them did nothing, stayed silent or even worse, joined in.
But hell..it's only a joke right..

heffo

Jesus Reillers I've missed you - please don't stay away this long again.

Reillers

Quote from: Minder on October 21, 2009, 08:31:19 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 21, 2009, 07:39:04 PM
Quote from: Minder on October 21, 2009, 07:29:04 PM
He said that when he told Sean Og he never had the same relationship with him.

All his teammates came out and support him, Corcoran and Sean Og especially, fair play to them as well. All legends.

Why did he say his friendship with Sean Og has not been the same since he told him then?

Have a read..

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/my-teammates-helped-me-through-ordeal-of-coming-out--donal-og-1917811.html

Kerry Mike

QuoteOh ya, another one of those types, the ones who'll think that the odd comment or chant is just a joke, and a bit of fun.

Hopefully all those types will be clamped down on and kicked out onto the street where they belong.
Hopefully it will be immediate reaction and not like when Sully had to go seek out a garda to throw out the idiot with the megaphone in the Tipp game.
It's a disgrace that he was let continue chanting, and everyone around them did nothing, stayed silent or even worse, joined in.

Fecks sake ye Cork boys  are very touchy, its a month now since we bate ye , ye should be over it, and yes I was having a smile, but not in a bad way, you have to lighten up, and no I am not condoning any of the abuse Donal Og gets or will probably continue to get. 
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Firstly, I don't know Donal Og Cusack at all, so I have no idea what the private man is like. I think for people to say they hate him or don't like him is silly. I don't like his ideas a lot of the time, or the way he carries himself in public, or the things he says in relation to the GPA etc, but I don't think that's the person, that's just the bit we see and think we know.

As regards his sexuality, I think that's his own business, and how he deals with letting people know is his own business. So what if he decided it was worth putting in the book. Most autobiographies mention life away from the game, wife, family etc. Donal obviously has different circumstances and it's fairly reasonable to suggest that once he decided to do a book, that it would be part of it.

I sincerely hope that he doesn't hear any abuse for it, but I know he has already. It's been one of those 'secrets' that were fairly well known or rumoured for a while, as he suggests himself. The fact that some lads who know hurling weren't aware of it is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. What a man does in his own time is his own business. This shouldn't change because he's publicly said it.

Having said all that, these comments from Reillers made me chuckle a bit. Unintended I know, but all the more funny for it.

QuoteAll his teammates came out and support him,

and

QuoteClare player was slagging Donal Og about it and there was a bit more of the handbags between them.

Sorry, juvenile I know :D

Reillers

Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 21, 2009, 10:01:17 PM
QuoteOh ya, another one of those types, the ones who'll think that the odd comment or chant is just a joke, and a bit of fun.

Fecks sake ye Cork boys  are very touchy, its a month now since we bate y , ye should be over it, and yes I was having a smile, but not in a bad way, you have to have a lighten up, and no I am not condoning any of the abuse Donal Og gets or will probably continue to get.

What are you on about boy. How has this got anything to do with what we're discussing now.
Sure I suppose some of those who give abuse, and will no doubt in the future give even more, will only having a bit of good humoured smile about it, we'll say lighten up. It's only a joke..
You're not condoning abuse? Please you pretty much are almost..because that, having a little smile and joke about it, is usually where it always starts.

Like I said, I hope it's clamped down on this season, for everyone, for all players, no matter what, and that the likes of Sully doesn't have to go hunting out the gards to get it stopped. It's not acceptable.

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 21, 2009, 10:01:49 PM
Firstly, I don't know Donal Og Cusack at all, so I have no idea what the private man is like. I think for people to say they hate him or don't like him is silly. I don't like his ideas a lot of the time, or the way he carries himself in public, or the things he says in relation to the GPA etc, but I don't think that's the person, that's just the bit we see and think we know.

As regards his sexuality, I think that's his own business, and how he deals with letting people know is his own business. So what if he decided it was worth putting in the book. Most autobiographies mention life away from the game, wife, family etc. Donal obviously has different circumstances and it's fairly reasonable to suggest that once he decided to do a book, that it would be part of it.

I sincerely hope that he doesn't hear any abuse for it, but I know he has already. It's been one of those 'secrets' that were fairly well known or rumoured for a while, as he suggests himself. The fact that some lads who know hurling weren't aware of it is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. What a man does in his own time is his own business. This shouldn't change because he's publicly said it.

Having said all that, these comments from Reillers made me chuckle a bit. Unintended I know, but all the more funny for it.

and

QuoteClare player was slagging Donal Og about it and there was a bit more of the handbags between them.

Sorry, juvenile I know :D

Did anyone read Cody's book..a complete snoze, full of clichys and absolute bore. Whatever about the man himself, one of the great GAA men like, but that book.... :-\
Donal Og's (or so I've heard) is very refreshing (and so far has been) just straight down the line, no bullshit spinning or the same old crap we hear all the time. Just honest, his views, and a lot of biographies aren't like that.
And so far it seems to be getting good reviews..so.

Kerry Mike

QuoteIt's not acceptable.

its not. At least we agree on something.  But I like them jerseys.

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on October 21, 2009, 10:14:42 PM
Quote from: Reillers on October 21, 2009, 10:10:26 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 21, 2009, 10:01:49 PM

and

Sorry, juvenile I know :Db

Did anyone read Cody's book..a complete snoze, full of cliches
The Arsenal player? A true Gael.

:-\..all right then..changed it, happy? Can we get back on topic now by any chance?

Kerry Mike

I suppose Gerald McCarthy will have a book out next disputing all that DOg says, and then Frank Murphy will have to tell all when he retires, I'd say he would have some good tales to tell.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Reillers

Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 21, 2009, 10:32:26 PM
I suppose Gerald McCarthy will have a book out next disputing all that DOg says, and then Frank Murphy will have to tell all when he retires, I'd say he would have some good tales to tell.
I'm sure he would, but why would he, or should he, bother bringing out something like that, in case you've forgotten he's a very long, succesfull, intersting career as a GAA player. Not everything is about the strike you know, and there's a lot more to Gerald then that as well.
And still waiting for a reply to my post..suppose I wont get it.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on October 21, 2009, 09:37:44 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 21, 2009, 08:56:32 PM
And in another development, the Cork public better known as The Langers have again lined the streets of their real capital in a show of suport for the Cork hurlers.

Meanwhile the new Cork Jerseys has been launched for 2010

Home

2nd Jersey

Yerra its all old news now about Donal Og anyway.

Oh ya, another one of those types, the ones who'll think that the odd comment or chant is just a joke, and a bit of fun.

Well why didn't Sully take it off him then?

As for people saying everyone knew about it, its not as simple as that.  Everyone did not know about it, infact very few did, what everyone heard was the rumour that he was gay, but thats not the same as saying you "knew" he was gay.  There is a difference.  If that was the case I could post a few names of a few other sports people that are rumoured to be gay  Chances are, most that are rumoured to be are probably not.

theskull1

Is Z list celebrity status now the aspirational pinnacle of high profile people in the GAA in this day in age? Get a book deal and you've made it. I find the whole thing very uninteresting. The GAA is sadly littered with mercenaries.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera