All Stars being picked now

Started by Any craic, October 15, 2009, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Gnevin on October 16, 2009, 09:08:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 16, 2009, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 16, 2009, 08:27:14 PM
Well done to Dermot Earley on his second award. Doubt there's many out there with All-Stars 11 years apart.

Or with a father and uncle all stars too  ;)

No one from Connacht of course as usual.
Connacht is a bad or worse than Leinster .

Were there only 2 Connacht Nominations .. Conor Mortimer from Co Mayo and Andy Moran from Co Roscommon?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

saffron sam2

Quote from: orangeman on October 16, 2009, 09:11:31 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 16, 2009, 09:09:52 PM
Shiels was taken in the semi-final by Stephen O'Neill and in the quarter-final by Michael Murphy, as well as the final. A very lucky boyo to get one. I think it was an effort to mark Cork's good year up to the final, rather than Shiels own performance. I think most people would have had 13 of that team with Murphy and Griffin in for Goulding and Shiels.

Thought Shileds was extremely lucky indeed after being cleaned out in both those games.

Thought Murphy should have got one. But there you go.

This Murphy chap - is he the portly chap I spotted hanging out of Colin Brady's pocket one day in Ballybofey?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

SuperDooperCooper

7 All-Stars is a great haul for a team that only put in two quality performance the whole year.
Delighted for Seamus Scanlon - the very first All Star for Currow.
Now if we can win the Kerry Intermediate final Sunday week that will make for one hell of a year!!!!!!!!

Two quibbles with the selection.
Mike Mac should have got one. He was outstanding against Antrim, Dublin, Meath and Cork - he turned Kerry's season.
Going to go against the grain here - I am not sure if Taghie deserved one.
Still there will always be debates after the selection.

I am happy for Galvin but I felt Tomas should have gotten footballer of the year.

orangeman

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 16, 2009, 09:20:45 PM
Shiels was taken in the semi-final by Stephen O'Neill and in the quarter-final by Michael Murphy, as well as the final. A very lucky boyo to get one. I think it was an effort to mark Cork's good year up to the final, rather than Shiels own performance. I think most people would have had 13 of that team with Murphy and Griffin in for Goulding and Shiels.

Thought Shileds was extremely lucky indeed after being cleaned out in both those games.

This Murphy chap - is he the portly chap I spotted hanging out of Colin Brady's pocket one day in Ballybofey?

That would be him alright.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Rossfan on October 16, 2009, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 16, 2009, 08:27:14 PM
Well done to Dermot Earley on his second award. Doubt there's many out there with All-Stars 11 years apart.

Or with a father and uncle all stars too  ;)

No one from Connacht of course as usual.

Dermot Earley's sister Noelle is nominated for a Ladies Football All-Star this year aswell.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

slow corner back

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on October 16, 2009, 09:21:37 PM
7 All-Stars is a great haul for a team that only put in two quality performance the whole year.
Now if we can win the Kerry Intermediate final Sunday week that will make for one hell of a year!!!!!!!!

Mike Mac should have got one. He was outstanding against Antrim, Dublin, Meath and Cork - he turned Kerry's season.

I am happy for Galvin but I felt Tomas should have gotten footballer of the year.
I would be thinking along those lines myself, a very good semi and a decent final but is that enough over a year?

saffron sam2

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on October 16, 2009, 09:21:37 PM

That's the biggest mistake IMHO.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Santino

Dont think O'Neill deserved it this year either. Super player, but not in the same form as 03-07.
Paddy Cunningham was far more classy and inspirational.

Qwerty28

Did Paul Galvin lose his tux and dickiebow? ;D

Minder

Quote from: Santino on October 16, 2009, 09:46:13 PM
Dont think O'Neill deserved it this year either. Super player, but not in the same form as 03-07.
Paddy Cunningham was far more classy and inspirational.

Cunningham was quiet other than the Ulster final, take away Cunnighams frees and he would average about 0-2 or 0-3 a game. O'Neill is in a different league.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Konica

I'd have given Eoin Bradley one simply because through the whole league and championship no one managed to hold him ... but unless you get to the semi stage you haven't a real chnace

Bogball XV

Goalkeeper:
Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry),

Full Backs:
Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry), Michael Shields (Cork), Karl Lacey (Donegal),

Half Backs:
Graham Canty (Cork), John Miskella (Cork), Tomas Ó Sé (Kerry),
Midfield:
Dermot Earley (Kildare), Séamus Scanlon (Kerry)

Half Forwards:
Paul Galvin (Kerry), Tadhg Kennelly (Kerry), Pearse O'Neill (Cork),

Full Forwards:
Declan O'Sullivan (Kerry), Daniel Goulding (Cork), Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone),

Is it time to call a halt to the rubbish that is the allstars?  They're always hopelessly biased towards the All Ireland final, they involve massive horse trading etc, someone mentioned on the sunday game that some sort of rating taking in every game would produce a better result and it would be hard to disagree.  Obviously there's an element of subjectivity there too, but they could give us maybe the top 3 in each postion and then let a selection committee make the final choices - there'd at least be a little more transparency.

LeoMc

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on October 16, 2009, 08:27:32 PM
I half expected them to throw Dara O Se an all-star.

Glad to see Scanlon get it ahead of him, though Hughes should not have been far away.

LeoMc

+1 though with Murphy in for O'Neill and Gerard O'Neill in for Shields (now that positions mean nothing)

imtommygunn

Murphy was by no stretch of the imagination in Brady's pocket in Ballybofey. Brady was excellent all year but Murphy gave him more than his fill of it. I'd have had him in for Goulding.

Didn't think Shields deserved one but not sure who else would have been inthere at FB. I guess McMahon would have been a good shout.

Like others said Mike McCarthy could feel aggrieved not to have got one. O'Neill (Tyrone) very deserving IMO. Very impressive in the quarter and semi. Pearse O'Neill, final aside, was excellent and ripped teams apart all year.