We are not very nice at all, are we?

Started by Puckoon, October 13, 2009, 12:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on October 13, 2009, 09:40:34 AM
Men using hair straightners is not good though right??...I haven't read the thread but I assume most people would agree this men apeing female behavioural/preening traits is not something that should be deemed socially acceptable for the general population (speaking from a survival of the species point of view). Each to their own I know but it come on...

Every generation belittles the next one for not being as 'manly' as them as I'm sure Skull your Da might snigger at things you'd maybe consider 'personal hygiene' like showering/bathing every day and he maybe only bathed on the saturday night for mass the next morning.

I'm sure there's lads on here wouldn't think twice of moisturising after shaving rather than throwing a handfull of cold ater over the face followed by another handful of old spice.

As for the hair straightners, its been a day or two since I've needed to worry about that  :-[

As for Ireland of the thousand welcomes, well you'll get a lovely welcome if we think you're going to splash the cash. If you're over 'taking our jobs' then we're no better than our British neighbours.

theskull1

Abbeysider...personally I have no issue with people (and actually have admiration for those) who try to be different/INDIVIDUAL in the way they look. I think what alot of posters who have a problem with straightners/scarves on T shirt boyos is that they are simply apeing a celeb/Russell Brand type of culture and for that reason they are a very different breed than that of a person who thinks and dresses for himself rather than being led by pictures in Look magazine. So I would contend that the scarve wearing hair straightening brigade are the ones who are not comfortable within themselves if they feel they need to be copying Brand and the likes style? Teenagers yes of course they will mature (hands up who had the bay city roller look?), it's the late 20/30 year old lads at the same thing that looks unhealthy to me, just as a 30 year old wearing a bay city rollers outfit was years ago.

I actually had to change my fashion sense so that I look less attractive to the female species. It's been working for years now
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 13, 2009, 10:40:00 AM
Abbeysider...personally I have no issue with people (and actually have admiration for those) who try to be different/INDIVIDUAL in the way they look. I think what alot of posters who have a problem with straightners/scarves on T shirt boyos is that they are simply apeing a celeb/Russell Brand type of culture and for that reason they are a very different breed than that of a person who thinks and dresses for himself rather than being led by pictures in Look magazine. So I would contend that the scarve wearing hair straightening brigade are the ones who are not comfortable within themselves if they feel they need to be copying Brand and the likes style? Teenagers yes of course they will mature (hands up who had the bay city roller look?), it's the late 20/30 year old lads at the same thing that looks unhealthy to me, just as a 30 year old wearing a bay city rollers outfit was years ago.

I actually had to change my fashion sense so that I look less attractive to the female species. It's been working for years now

;) :D

illdecide

It is true that the majority of us (Irish) are ignorant to certain things and we have not been used to a multi cultural society. I for one can say that when i was younger i was so anti gay (i really hated gays with a passion) i wasn't really racist but i have to say not that bad compared to most but as I've got older and matured a bit (still have a bit to go though) i now have a different view on things...My sister adopted a coloured girl from South Africa when she lived there and now she's back home she gets more attention than the rest of the kids and if i heard anyone saying anything about her I'd be not pleased at all (thats putting it nicely) also on the gay issue i couldn't care less who is gay as long as they're not bothering me...

We as a nation are just so set in our ways and cannot accept that things change
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Minder

Quote from: illdecide on October 13, 2009, 10:53:00 AM
It is true that the majority of us (Irish) are ignorant to certain things and we have not been used to a multi cultural society. I for one can say that when i was younger i was so anti gay (i really hated gays with a passion) i wasn't really racist but i have to say not that bad compared to most but as I've got older and matured a bit (still have a bit to go though) i now have a different view on things...My sister adopted a coloured girl from South Africa when she lived there and now she's back home she gets more attention than the rest of the kids and if i heard anyone saying anything about her I'd be not pleased at all (thats putting it nicely) also on the gay issue i couldn't care less who is gay as long as they're not bothering me...

We as a nation are just so set in our ways and cannot accept that things change

Reported.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Puckoon on October 13, 2009, 12:50:48 AM
Growing up Irish, I always thought that we were somehow a pleasant, nice people. People said hello to each other, helped their neighbour and were generally decent sorts. The land of fecking saints and scholars my arse.

Take a look at the attitudes that prevail on this board in response to many innocuous issues today.

Online dating: for losers, and weirdos who can't get laid in a nightclub.
Men wearing scarves or straightening their hair: t**sers, c***ts, t**ts, homos
Stephen gately: enough said

is it because the board is annonymous that these hardline attitudes, and intolerant opinions are so frequent on this board?
Is it indicative of the type of person who enjoys GAA?
Is it indicative of Irish people as a whole?
Is it because there's too many tyronies on the board?

Or are we as a nation thouroughly undeserving of the credit laid at our name of being the land of a hundred thousand welcomes, because, well, we're basically a bunch of racist, intolerant, ill mannered c***ts?

It's because there's too many people from Armagh and Tyrone who believe their manliness has it's roots in the fact that they once fingered a girl at a teeny bopper disco in Cookstown. Then they moved to the Holylands and got laid about once every three years, but despite living in a house with four other lads, they would routinely chat about the girl they rode the night before, even though they all sat at home drinking a bottle of buckie before striking out in the Bot, going for a kebab and then watching Sky Sports News for an hour before passing out. Alone.

Aerlik

Quote from: SidelineKick on October 13, 2009, 08:27:34 AM
Quote from: Aerlik on October 13, 2009, 04:57:35 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on October 13, 2009, 01:02:17 AM
apart from Russia which is at 100%.

:D :D

Now that made me giggle

::) t**t

Puckoon, your case is rested.

SLK, I have very, very good reason for reacting the way I did to Capt. Pat's post, which again, I found to be funny and so appropriate to my personal circumstances.

Tis Time you cut mammy' apron strings, boyo.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

SidelineKick

Quote from: SidelineKick on October 13, 2009, 09:01:22 AM
My last post about Aerlik was just a joke, keeping in running with the theme of Puckoon's thread!

Though the word giggle is slightly annoying.  Ziggy's favourite!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Rav67

I've always thought the whole nice or friendly mythical Irish image was a load of shite tbh

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on October 13, 2009, 11:21:21 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 13, 2009, 12:50:48 AM
Growing up Irish, I always thought that we were somehow a pleasant, nice people. People said hello to each other, helped their neighbour and were generally decent sorts. The land of fecking saints and scholars my arse.

Take a look at the attitudes that prevail on this board in response to many innocuous issues today.

Online dating: for losers, and weirdos who can't get laid in a nightclub.
Men wearing scarves or straightening their hair: t**sers, c***ts, t**ts, homos
Stephen gately: enough said

is it because the board is annonymous that these hardline attitudes, and intolerant opinions are so frequent on this board?
Is it indicative of the type of person who enjoys GAA?
Is it indicative of Irish people as a whole?
Is it because there's too many tyronies on the board?

Or are we as a nation thouroughly undeserving of the credit laid at our name of being the land of a hundred thousand welcomes, because, well, we're basically a bunch of racist, intolerant, ill mannered c***ts?

It's because there's too many people from Armagh and Tyrone who believe their manliness has it's roots in the fact that they once fingered a girl at a teeny bopper disco in Cookstown. Then they moved to the Holylands and got laid about once every three years, but despite living in a house with four other lads, they would routinely chat about the girl they rode the night before, even though they all sat at home drinking a bottle of buckie before striking out in the Bot, going for a kebab and then watching Sky Sports News for an hour before passing out. Alone.

Yeah, it's the students from Armagh and Tyrone who live in multiple occupancy houses in the Holylands and drink in the bot who have ruined the country.

I could attempt to lay blame at the door of the white lightning drinking joyriding knife carrying spides from Belfast but I wouldn't want to sound ridiculous...  ::) ::)

FFS

ziggysego

The board is just a reflection on a wider society. The youth of today have no manners and leave it's ok to be behaving in the manner they have become accustomed to in college.

Wasn't there a survey don't recently that showed despite the Irish friendly sterotype, we are actually one of the most racist countries in Europe? I didn't believe it at the time, but I sat back and listened to the conversations around me. Whether here or in the 'real world'. We really are a small-minded country and the sooner we get a bit of cop on, the better.
Testing Accessibility

theskull1

You wouldn't have heard too many telling jokes about priests 50 years ago either.  Aye..the youth of today! tschh ;)

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

redhugh

I think the smell of a pound drove us all half mad during the fruitful years. Everything became about money and very much changed how we as a society think and function.The prevailing attitude seemed to be make money at any cost. We used to be a far more community minded society which cared about our neighbours etc.Whatever happened to the old addage of nĂ­ neart go chur le cheile.The scarring that this scenario has left in my opinion seems to be that we now find it increasingly difficult to have a collective mindset, as the success at any cost attitude has left us all thinking solely as individuals.There is an attitude of I'm allright jack and fcuk everyone else. Look for example at how we treat our elderly and sick compared to many other countries with a hell of a lot less than us, we really do need to sort ourselves out.

theskull1

Drove alot of people that way hugh. I'd a friend who regularly commented on the new found catholic wealth and how he despised the 5 series driving, big shirt fat belly pointy tanned shoed wearing brigade who were all in it for themselves and basked in the admiration of those who were still trying to get there whilst they all stood and drank the face off themselves every weekend thinking life was great guns.

Alot of people are not that way thank god