We are not very nice at all, are we?

Started by Puckoon, October 13, 2009, 12:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Growing up Irish, I always thought that we were somehow a pleasant, nice people. People said hello to each other, helped their neighbour and were generally decent sorts. The land of fecking saints and scholars my arse.

Take a look at the attitudes that prevail on this board in response to many innocuous issues today.

Online dating: for losers, and weirdos who can't get laid in a nightclub.
Men wearing scarves or straightening their hair: tossers, c***ts, twats, homos
Stephen gately: enough said

is it because the board is annonymous that these hardline attitudes, and intolerant opinions are so frequent on this board?
Is it indicative of the type of person who enjoys GAA?
Is it indicative of Irish people as a whole?
Is it because there's too many tyronies on the board?

Or are we as a nation thouroughly undeserving of the credit laid at our name of being the land of a hundred thousand welcomes, because, well, we're basically a bunch of racist, intolerant, ill mannered c***ts?

Capt Pat

We are a mixed up bunch really. We have lots of very pleasant people in this country but we have one of the highest proportion of c***ts in the world, it is at about 30% which is the higest in the world apart from Russia which is at 100%.
However your original point is correct.

Main Street

Quote from: Puckoon on October 13, 2009, 12:50:48 AM
Or are we as a nation thouroughly undeserving of the credit laid at our name of being the land of a hundred thousand welcomes, because, well, we're basically a bunch of racist, intolerant, ill mannered c***ts?
Loads of undeserved credit is being laid on the land in the name of Nama.

tyrone86

In words of Grampa Simpson, 'A little from column A and a little from column B' (And C & D).

To be fair, there's a large element of winding in those threads - I don't think there's too many would repeat those comments if they were in public even if they did think them.

And as Capt Pat said, we're really a very mixed up bunch. It seems begrudgery (e.g. Gately) and irrational hatred (the gays/other nonconformists) are just two traits of the Irish psyche and its always been like that.

Caid

QuoteThere's a serious homophobia vibe on the Board.  Confirm's my thought that whilst the Irish are thought of as a warm, friendly, people that is only the case if th person in question is a white caucasian or a female.  I think the Irish can be wholly bigoted towards anyone of different skin colour or sexuality.

My post above from the Hair Straightners thread
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

long sleves

Funny I signed up to this board as I was told by friends it was good craic. I didn't think they meant that good craic was b1tching at each other and being homophobic. I know it is a discussion board and everyones opinion is their own but as mentioned in Puckoon's post I think a lot of people are trying to act the big fella behind an annonymous name. Personally I would never write anything on a disscussion board that I wouldn't say in the 'real world'.

SidelineKick

My last post about Aerlik was just a joke, keeping in running with the theme of Puckoon's thread!

Though the word giggle is slightly annoying.  Ziggy's favourite!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Tony Baloney

The Ireland of cead milè failte was nothing other than a marketing ploy to screw gullible Yanks out of money. We are a nation of money-grabbing, cynical, begrudging c***ts who believe that corruption, alcohol abuse and general under handedmess are acceptable as "it's only a bit of craic" and there is a mythology that the Irish are lovable rogues.Crucially though I don't think these traits appear more or less than anywhere else.

theskull1

Men using hair straightners is not good though right??...I haven't read the thread but I assume most people would agree this men apeing female behavioural/preening traits is not something that should be deemed socially acceptable for the general population (speaking from a survival of the species point of view). Each to their own I know but it come on...

Problem is with a discussion board is that the printed word hangs around longer than a spoken word AND is there for everybody to see. The ones who voice these views in public say them to closed groups where they know they will be listened to. The internet just exposes how narrow minded some people really are. God love them I suppose  :-\
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Master Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

bcarrier

I do think trolling has moved from internet boards into "real life" ...there would always have been a few lads who would have hopped the ball but there are a whole new breed of clueless classless fishermen out there today.

I'm afraid the real ireland is one of me fein these days.

AbbeySider

I didnt notice any threads on the below topics but peoples attitudes are childish and immature on this board.
It very obvious that often the younger posters are the ones dancing on the grave of Stephen Gately or assaulting someone character because they are not comfortable with themselves.
This board started with purely GAA topics (and should return to that IMO), but when people started to post more on the General Board it automatically becomes more personal as people get to know one another better. That opens the window for people to criticises others opinions and assault peoples character despite not having much of an opinion of their own.
The Stephen Gately (RIP) thread was a perfect example.
A thread about someones untimely passing was used by some people to berate which isnt on.
Really if you dont have anything positive to say in those situations you should say nothing at all.
But, posters immaturity and ignorance really shone through, and I suppose its a sign of the times and a reflection on the board and Irish society in general. People just have less and less moral character and tact. Ignorance is rampant on the board and everywhere else.

For the record, and because I missed the topics this stuff was mentioned...
Online dating: for losers, and weirdos who can't get laid in a nightclub.
I know some believed and normal people who dont move in many social circles and dont get the chance to meet people, that use online dating. Its very healthy and a good outlet. Would anyone prefer suicide due to depression or loneliness or perfer soneone to try and find a friend or companionship?

Men wearing scarves....t**sers, c***ts, t**ts, homos
I wear a cravat with a long grey tweed jacket and it looks savage. It provokes a bit of banter with a minority of the lads (because they admittedly by themselves couldnt pull it off) but for the most part it I like wearing it and it goes down well. I wont comment people who pass snide remarks, but I guarantee it wouldnt happen in my presence, or in the presence of anyone I know.

or straightening their hair:....t**sers, c***ts, t**ts, homos
When I had long hair, a few times my girlfriend of 5 years used to straighten it for the craic a couple of times (never in public  :D ). I dont see the big deal. I was never into it myself, but some people that wear their hair long need to straighten it. Again its people who are not comfortable in themselves that will make the most noise.

Master Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering