Gaelic Life Team of the Decade Competition

Started by RedandGreenSniper, October 12, 2009, 10:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Gaelic Life have started a team of the decade comp. Prizes look decent. Should generate some boisterous debate!

GAELIC LIFE TEAM OF THE DECADE COMPETITION
in association with the Bridge House Hotel, Tullamore
E2,000 worth of prizes to be WON

Now that the big issue in GAA - the county team of the decade - has been settled (Kerry 5 All-Irelands, Tyrone 3 All-Irelands), we are asking readers to select their 15 best individual players of the past ten years. 

There's the obvious ones like Darragh O Se and Padraic Joyce, Peter Canavan and the Gooch but what about Kieran McGeeney, Graham Canty or Paddy Bradley? 

There are 8 candidates vying for each position on the field but only 15 men can make the final team...

How it works?
Over the coming weeks, the Gaelic Life team will carefully select the 15 players and 5 subs that make up the Team of the Decade. These players will be selected from the shortlist (can be viewed online) based on inter county awards, club awards, All Star awards and all round footballing ability.
For every player selected that makes the GL team of the decade starting fifteen, 6 points will be scored. For every player selected that makes it as a sub on the Team of the Decade, 1 point will be scored.

At a later date, Gaelic Life will publish the Team of the Decade along with a full list of entrants and their positions/scores.

To Enter:
Go online and simply select your team of 15 players consisting of 1 goalkeeper, 3 full backs, 3 half backs, 2 midfielders, 3 half forwards and 3 full forwards - closing date TBC.
Once registered, you will receive an automatic email detailing your selected team.

Enter now: www.gaeliclife.com

Prize details:
5 winners will enjoy a relaxing midweek break at the Bridge House Hotel, Tullamore, Co.Offaly including two nights B&B, one evening meal on the night of your choice plus full use of the Hotel's Leisure Club which includes a 18m pool, steam, sauna and an outdoor Hydro Pool.

6th                          GL kit bag plus goodies
7th  to 10th             GL hoodie

Hotel image, web link, logo and info

Scoring:
} 6 points - for correctly selecting a player that is confirmed in the Team of the Decade starting fifteen;
} 1 point - for selecting a player that is confirmed as a sub in the Team of the Decade.

Rules
Entries will not be accepted after the closing date;
Prizes are as stated and non negotiable;
Winners must agree to any publicity required;
Final 15 Team of the Decade plus 5 subs will score as detailed;
The organiser's decision is final in the event of any issues arising;
One entry per valid email address allowed;
One entry per person allowed;
Players can only be selected from the list of players published;
No amendments will be accepted to team selection once registration is complete;
The overall winners will be those who have amassed the highest amount of points;
The overall winner will be entitled to the 1st prize only and can not claim any of the remaining prizes;
In the event of a tie, the winners will be drawn at random;
Editor's decision is final in all matters arising;
By registering you are agreeing to the terms and conditions;
NWIPP will use your email address for newsletter purposes but it will not be passed onto any third parties.

Full list of shortlisted players:

1. Goalkeepers
Paul Hearty (Armagh), Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), James Reilly (Cavan), Shane Curran (Roscommon), Fergal Byron (Laois), Gary Connaughton (Westmeath), Michael McVeigh (Down)

2. Right Corner Backs
Andy Mallon (Armagh), Mike McCarthy (Kerry), Enda McNulty (Armagh), Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone), Kenneth Mortimer (Mayo), John Keane (Westmeath), Kieran McKeever (Derry), Damian Diver (Donegal)

3. Full Backs
Francie Bellew (Armagh), Cormac McAnallen (Tyrone), Darren Fay (Meath), Barry Owens (Fermanagh), Gary Fahy (Galway), Seamus Moynihan (Kerry), Graham Canty (Cork), Paddy Christie (Dublin)

4. Left Corner Backs
Sean Marty Lockhart (Derry), Marc O Se (Kerry), Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry), Joe Higgins (Laois), Barry Cahill (Dublin), Kieran Fitzgerald (Galway), Anthony Lynch (Cork), Karl Lacey (Donegal)

5. Right Half Backs
Anthony Rainbow (Kildare), Colin Moran (Dublin), Tomas O Se (Kerry), Declan Meehan (Galway), Aaron Kernan (Armagh), Johnny Davey (Sligo), Davy Harte (Tyrone), Damian Freeman (Monaghan)

6. Centre Half Backs
Kieran McGeeney (Armagh), Conor Gormley (Tyrone), Brian Cullen (Dublin), Anthony Moyles (Meath), Eamon Fitzmaurice (Kerry), James Nallen (Mayo), Tom Kelly (Laois), Aidan O'Rourke (Armagh)

7. Left Half Backs
Sean Og de Paor (Galway), Philip Jordan (Tyrone), Paul McFlynn (Derry), Paedar Gardiner (Mayo), Karol Slattery (Offaly), Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Andy McCann (Armagh), Glen Ryan (Kildare)

8. & 9. Midfielders
John McDermott (Meath), Enda McGinley (Tyrone), Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Dara O Se (Kerry), Ciaran Whelan (Dublin), Nicholas Murphy (Cork) Dermot McCabe (Cavan), Anthony Tohill (Derry), Marty McGrath (Fermanagh), Paul McGrane (Armagh), John Quane (Limerick), Dermot Earley (Kildare), Ciaran McManus (Offaly),  Kevin Walsh (Galway), Eamon O'Hara (Sligo), Fergal Doherty (Derry)

10. Right Half Forwards
Joe Bergin (Galway), Liam Hassett (Kerry), Brian Dooher (Tyrone), Paul Galvin (Kerry), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Ross Munnelly (Laois), Declan O' Sullivan (Kerry), Michael Meehan (Galway)

11. Centre Half Forwards
Brian McGuigan (Tyrone), Dara O Cinneide (Kerry), Muiris Gavin (Limerick), Trevor Giles (Meath), Paraic Joyce (Galway), Trevor Mortimer (Mayo), Ja Fallon (Galway), John McEntee (Armagh)

12. Left Half Forwards
Enda Muldoon (Derry), Oisin McConville (Armagh), Michael Donnellan (Galway), Graham Geraghty (Meath), Brian Roper (Donegal), Kieran McDonald (Mayo), Paul Finlay (Monaghan), Diarmuid Marsden (Armagh)

13. Right Full Forwards
Dessie Dolan (Westmeath), Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry), John Doyle (Kildare), Mike Frank Russell (Kerry), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone), Derek Savage (Galway), Frankie Dolan (Roscommon)

14. Full Forwards
Mattie Forde (Wexford), Colm Corkery (Cork), Declan Browne (Tipperary), Benny Coulter (Down), Ronan Clarke (Armagh), Denis Glennon (Westmeath), Kieran Donaghy (Kerry), Peter Canavan (Tyrone),

15. Left Full Forwards
Tomas Freeman (Monaghan), Jason Sherlock (Dublin), Niall McNamee (Offaly), Paddy Bradley (Derry), Stephen Bray (Meath), Brendan Devenney (Donegal), Owen Mulligan (Tyrone), Steven McDonnell (Armagh)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

I'm thinking along the lines of this team

Cluxton

McMenamin   Moynihan   Anthony Lynch

T O Se   McGeeney    Sean Og

Cavanagh   D O Se

Dooher  P Joyce  C McDonald

Cooper  Canavan   Bradley

4 Kerry, 4 Tyrone, 2 Galway, 1 Cork, 1 Dublin, 1 Mayo, 1 Derry and 1 Armagh. Can be arguments made for Graham Geraghty at 12, Gormley at 6, McDonnell at 15 and Canty at 3. Also Kieran McKeever at 2, when did he retire?

slow corner back

Paddy Bradley, one national league medal and has not even made it to a provincial final? Steven McDonnell 6? ulster titles and an all ireland, not really even a contest. Some very weak positions and some very strong ones, The Gooch against maurice fitz? that will fry the head of any Kerryman. Very strong half back line and midfield almost an automatic choice.

ONeill

Goalkeeper: DUB - Stephen Cluxton
Full back1: TYR - Ryan McMenamin
Full back2: ARM - Francie Bellew
Full back3: KRY - Marc O Se
Half back1: KRY - Tomas O Se
Half back2: ARM - Kieran McGeeney
Half back3: TYR - Philip Jordan
Midfield1: TYR - Sean Cavanagh
Midfield2: KRY - Darragh O Se
Half forward1: TYR - Brian Dooher
Half forward2: TYR - Brian McGuigan
Half forward3: ARM - Oisin McConvilee
Full forward1: KRY - Colm Cooper
Full forward2: TYR - Peter Canavan
Full forward3: DRY - Paddy Bradley
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: slow corner back on October 12, 2009, 11:08:10 PM
Paddy Bradley, one national league medal and has not even made it to a provincial final? Steven McDonnell 6? ulster titles and an all ireland, not really even a contest. Some very weak positions and some very strong ones, The Gooch against maurice fitz? that will fry the head of any Kerryman. Very strong half back line and midfield almost an automatic choice.

By your logic Declan Browne shouldn't even be shortlisted so. They're individual awards. Bradley has been a constant star in a sometimes very average Derry side. McDonnell a great player in a team that has given him the platform to display his talent. Bradley hasn't always had that platform but he has nearly always delivered.

Gooch v Maurice Fitz? No contest. Its only from 2000 on. Fitz was a sub in 2001, Gooch has been a constant all decade. Stevie O'Neill will give him a tougher battle than Fitz.

J70

As a Donegal man, I'm a little puzzled as to how Devenney and Roper can be in ahead of Adrian Sweeney. Devenney in particular, while probably the far more talented player, just didn't do it for the county in the championship on the consistent basis that Eddie did.

SidelineKick

Hardly worth doing this as I am still waiting on my prize from the last competition.

Red and Green Sniper, any word?

:'(
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

blanketattack

Cluxton,
McMenamin, Moynihan, M Ó Sé
T Ó Sé, McGeeney, Jordan
Cavanagh, D Ó Sé
Dooher, Joyce, McConville
Cooper, Canavan, McDonnell

The only tough choices were M Ó Sé v A Lynch, McConville v McDonald, Dooher v Galvin, Cooper v O'Neill and Bradley v McDonnell

Rawhide

what an absolute pill of tripe this stuff is, how completely irrelevant
cccc is a true supporter lol

BerfArmagh

1. Goalkeeper
Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry),

2. Right Corner Backs
Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)

3. Full Backs
Darren Fay (Meath)

4. Left Corner Backs
Marc O Se (Kerry

5. Right Half Backs
Tomas O Se (Kerry)

6. Centre Half Backs
Kieran McGeeney (Armagh

7. Left Half Backs
Sean Og de Paor (Galway)

8. & 9. Midfielders
Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Anthony Tohill (Derry)

10. Right Half Forwards
Brian Dooher (Tyrone)

11. Centre Half Forwards
Paraic Joyce (Galway)

12. Left Half Forwards
Oisin McConville (Armagh)

13. Right Full Forwards
I just can't pick between these 2 guys ???
Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry) & Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone

14. Full Forwards
Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

15. Left Full Forwards
Steven McDonnell (Armagh)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: BerfArmagh on October 13, 2009, 11:37:25 AM
1. Goalkeeper
Diarmuid Murphy (Kerry),

2. Right Corner Backs
Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone)

3. Full Backs
Darren Fay (Meath)

4. Left Corner Backs
Marc O Se (Kerry

5. Right Half Backs
Tomas O Se (Kerry)

6. Centre Half Backs
Kieran McGeeney (Armagh

7. Left Half Backs
Sean Og de Paor (Galway)

8. & 9. Midfielders
Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Anthony Tohill (Derry)

10. Right Half Forwards
Brian Dooher (Tyrone)

11. Centre Half Forwards
Paraic Joyce (Galway)

12. Left Half Forwards
Oisin McConville (Armagh)

13. Right Full Forwards
I just can't pick between these 2 guys ???
Maurice Fitzgerald (Kerry) & Stephen O'Neill (Tyrone

14. Full Forwards
Peter Canavan (Tyrone)

15. Left Full Forwards
Steven McDonnell (Armagh)

what decade are you picking from? ???

while all undoubtably great players, i don't think you could really include any of them in a greatest team from 2000-2010
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

North Longford

As a Longford man the ommission of Paul Barden is a bit hard to fathom. One of the best forwards in the country for the last 10 years. Picked to play for his country twice and centre forward for his province for probably at least half of the 10 years of the decade. Add to that some of those listed would certainly have been coming to the end of their best days at the early part of this decade.
It also seems alittle contived to suit something....I'm not just sure what tho.
How would you place Michael Meehan in the half forward line for instance?? Would Moynihans best position not be in the half back line somewhere

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: noeldebrun on October 13, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
can anyone get me a direct link as i can't seem to find it on the website thanks

Here ya go

http://www.gaeliclife.com/teamofthedecade/
Quote from: SidelineKick on October 13, 2009, 09:17:11 AM
Hardly worth doing this as I am still waiting on my prize from the last competition.

On the way this week, you were the subject of a steward's inquiry ;)

SidelineKick

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 13, 2009, 08:57:42 PM
Quote from: noeldebrun on October 13, 2009, 04:33:21 PM
can anyone get me a direct link as i can't seem to find it on the website thanks

Here ya go

http://www.gaeliclife.com/teamofthedecade/
Quote from: SidelineKick on October 13, 2009, 09:17:11 AM

On the way this week, you were the subject of a steward's inquiry ;)

:-X should have kept my mouth shut!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: North Longford on October 13, 2009, 03:42:43 PM
As a Longford man the ommission of Paul Barden is a bit hard to fathom. One of the best forwards in the country for the last 10 years. Picked to play for his country twice and centre forward for his province for probably at least half of the 10 years of the decade. Add to that some of those listed would certainly have been coming to the end of their best days at the early part of this decade.

That is the problem with these things. It gives little chance for guys who were rarely on TV but might be great players. Barden mite be better than most but few can really remember any game he played in... goes with being in a 'weaker' county. There are people think Frank McGuigan's only feat was scoring 11 points in an Ulster final... he did much more than that.  If Frank had been from Kerry that time he'd have seven or eight All Ireland medals and All Stars. So indeed Barden gets the same lack of recognition, which is a pity.