The biggest c**k up in Mayo Football ?

Started by mayo 4 eva, October 04, 2009, 05:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on October 06, 2009, 10:59:54 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2009, 10:45:16 AM
Quote from: cornafean on October 06, 2009, 08:14:52 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Jack O'Shea, not Maughan, was the Mayo manager in early 1993 when Knockmore played Eire Og in the All Ireland Club Final.

I think that was the semi final when Knockmore played Eire Og - Deccie Sweeney was a 16 year old in centrefield, out in Knockmore. It was 96-97 when they got to a final against Crossmaglen
Did they not play that semi v Eire Og in Mullingar?  I remember going to see them with a few mayo lads in Mullingar around the mid nineties and I'm nearly sure it was that game!  Anyway, O'Neill was the outstanding player on the pitch by a country mile in that semi.  Could never understand how he didnt feature more for Mayo back then.

They did play them in another semi in Mullingar, and that was the one during the Maughan era, but I'm pretty sure I remember the 1993 one being out in Knockmore. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me though, I'll wait for Mayo4Sam to confirm

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2009, 11:13:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Jack O'Shea, not Maughan, was the Mayo manager in early 1993 when Knockmore played Eire Og in the All Ireland Club Final.

I think that was the semi final when Knockmore played Eire Og - Deccie Sweeney was a 16 year old in centrefield, out in Knockmore. It was 96-97 when they got to a final against Crossmaglen
Did they not play that semi v Eire Og in Mullingar?  I remember going to see them with a few mayo lads in Mullingar around the mid nineties and I'm nearly sure it was that game!  Anyway, O'Neill was the outstanding player on the pitch by a country mile in that semi.  Could never understand how he didnt feature more for Mayo back then.

They did play them in another semi in Mullingar, and that was the one during the Maughan era, but I'm pretty sure I remember the 1993 one being out in Knockmore. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me though, I'll wait for Mayo4Sam to confirm
Actually, I think your right Stephenite about the 93 semi in Knockmore.  That was some coup getting a Carlow side to go down there.  Must have been a lot of head scratching once they got the far side of Castlebar!  :D :D

Davitt Man

1993 Knockmore played the All _ Ireland semi final against Eire Og in knockmre, sweeney played midfield and him only 16\17. Then in 97 they played again but in Mullingar.

ballinaman

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on October 06, 2009, 11:25:45 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2009, 11:13:38 AM

Actually, I think your right Stephenite about the 93 semi in Knockmore.  That was some coup getting a Carlow side to go down there.  Must have been a lot of head scratching once they got the far side of Castlebar!  :D :D
Didn't seem to bother that much Eire Og in 93 seeing as they won out in Knockmore!! Knockmore gave them a good whooping in 96 though!!

mayo 4 eva

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 06, 2009, 01:36:30 AM
I think it may have been another "lost" Knockmore man that was top scorer in the county championship in '96 - Padraig Brogan.

Maybe i'm biased as a knockmore man myself but today, i would still expect howley/Kilcoyne to choose a serious club game over a poxy intercounty league game any day of the week....i presume it's the same for all clubs?

Terrble shame that O'Neill was never utilised by Maughan, things could have been very different indeed......In a team that had the best midfield and backs at the time but poor enough in the forwards, it was criminal to leave a quality player like O'Neill off......

Only saw Padraig Brogan play live once, not to sure of the year, think it was in 96 in a county semi in ballina vs Crossmolina was it 8/9 points he scored that day??  (could be wrong about year), defo another fine player that never reached full potential at county level.  Agree completly with the notion that players should have serious club games ahead of challenge/national league, looking back it was shocking that kon had to go to the press about it. Id say it was sweet revenge on sunday........
The Question is..... What is the Question?

GBXII

That was some point he scored from play in the 2nd have, what age is he 37? I had forgotten how talented he is..

macdanger2

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on October 06, 2009, 02:03:51 PM
I think it may have been another "lost" Knockmore man that was top scorer in the county championship in '96 - Padraig Brogan.

Maybe i'm biased as a knockmore man myself but today, i would still expect howley/Kilcoyne to choose a serious club game over a poxy intercounty league game any day of the week....i presume it's the same for all clubs?

Terrble shame that O'Neill was never utilised by Maughan, things could have been very different indeed......In a team that had the best midfield and backs at the time but poor enough in the forwards, it was criminal to leave a quality player like O'Neill off......

Only saw Padraig Brogan play live once, not to sure of the year, think it was in 96 in a county semi in ballina vs Crossmolina was it 8/9 points he scored that day??  (could be wrong about year), defo another fine player that never reached full potential at county level.  Agree completly with the notion that players should have serious club games ahead of challenge/national league, looking back it was shocking that kon had to go to the press about it. Id say it was sweet revenge on sunday........

That was a great match between Knockmore and Cross, as far as I remember it finished 0-12 to 0-11 in Knockmore's favour. Brogan scored 0-11 and MacD scored 0-10.

rosnarun

Quote from: mayo 4 eva on October 06, 2009, 02:03:51 PM

in fairness no one can be blamed for brogan lack of progress in his career. A huge lost talent surely . I used to play against him under age and he was a fearsome sight to a 12 year old . Champion sprinter too.
As for oneill there was many factors at play at different times . some of it may have been maughans fault but injury emigration and poor form when he made a few sporadic comeback attempts(possibly due to injury) didn't help either.
on last Sundays form you'd have no fear of him still playing county football and great to see him without the knee bandage.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere