Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I was quite vociferous in the campaign to have Paddy removed from the Down job when it happened, but he still one of the great Down gaels and I'd like to wish him every success in his new position.

Armagh wans should note that his team selections and judgement of a player's best position were never far wrong for Down, and he is also a very good speaker - hence most of the Down squad wanted him retained at the time. It'll be most interesting though to watch how his desire to play "pure" football merges with the defensive, highly tactical football Armagh players have gotten used to in recent seasons.

I'd also say this - Armagh already have more genuinely talented man-marking defenders (McKeever, Mallon, Moriarty, P Kernan), than Down had throughout his 4 year tenure. So there is a better chance that this "pure" football might actually work with Armagh.

Donagh

umgolaarmagh

I think Paddy P O Rourke will do well with Armagh, they are a committed bunch of players and that was his style as a player and hopefully he will carry this through

as for him managing Down well i dont think the Down lads  at that time would have the same committment as the Armagh players and thats fact!!!!!!

DuffleKing

just got a message from a blyney man who played under him. it just read....

lolololololololol

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2009, 11:16:29 PM
I was quite vociferous in the campaign to have Paddy removed from the Down job when it happened, but he still one of the great Down gaels and I'd like to wish him every success in his new position.

Armagh wans should note that his team selections and judgement of a player's best position were never far wrong for Down, and he is also a very good speaker - hence most of the Down squad wanted him retained at the time. It'll be most interesting though to watch how his desire to play "pure" football merges with the defensive, highly tactical football Armagh players have gotten used to in recent seasons.

I'd also say this - Armagh already have more genuinely talented man-marking defenders (McKeever, Mallon, Moriarty, P Kernan), than Down had throughout his 4 year tenure. So there is a better chance that this "pure" football might actually work with Armagh.

Not sure Finnian is a genuine talented man marker though certainly he has his attributes.

Also not sure whether the good speaker thing matters for anything, which is why I'm always dubious of any interview process beyond ascertaining that a candidate is committed to taking the role.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mountainboii

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2009, 11:16:29 PM
Moriarty genuinely talented man-marking defender

These words do not belong in the same sentance.

dowling

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 11:15:52 PM

You spent a year exclusively posting on the cork hurling strike thread trying to stir shit. now you're here to see if you can gather up some more dirt.

peddle your crap some place else

Duffleking for now I'll try not to return your ignorance.
But this is part of the problem with some boys. Let's be honest the last manager didn't decide on his own that's it, that's as far as I can take them. Others decided they wanted someone else but to get that someone else firstly had to remove him. And according to him they used underhand tactics to do that. And then the popular choice Grimley makes demands which no county board could agree to. And then people are on here talking about McGeeney's success with Kildare?
When I heard tonight that ORouke got the job I said there would be eruptions in Armagh. I haven't rated Down for a few years so the jury is still out on him as a manager but I wouldn't have picked him for the job. It remains to be seen what the players think and with the GPA connections in Armagh it's not unreasonable to suggest there could be trouble ahead if there isn't player support of him. I'm looking further down the line.
What do you think? Will he have player support?

mournerambler

Get of your high horses lads & lassies, Armagh are a spent force for the forseeable future as far as senior football goes.
I think it's a good move for POR to try & rebuild his name in inter-county management with a team of has beens rather than with a team on the up, lets face facts here, Armagh have exited the championship before Down for the last two years.
If we go back over old posts by Armagh folk on the board, Down by all accounts are s_ite, enjoy the humble pie ;D

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: mournerambler on October 02, 2009, 11:33:57 PM
lets face facts here, Armagh have exited the championship before Down for the last two years.

Untrue

Quote from: mournerambler on October 02, 2009, 11:33:57 PM
Down by all accounts are s_ite,

True

armaghniac

Quotelets face facts here, Armagh have exited the championship before Down for the last two years

That's a Down "fact", i.e. bollix.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DuffleKing

Quote from: dowling on October 02, 2009, 11:30:13 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 11:15:52 PM

You spent a year exclusively posting on the cork hurling strike thread trying to stir shit. now you're here to see if you can gather up some more dirt.

peddle your crap some place else

Duffleking for now I'll try not to return your ignorance.
But this is part of the problem with some boys. Let's be honest the last manager didn't decide on his own that's it, that's as far as I can take them. Others decided they wanted someone else but to get that someone else firstly had to remove him. And according to him they used underhand tactics to do that. And then the popular choice Grimley makes demands which no county board could agree to. And then people are on here talking about McGeeney's success with Kildare?
When I heard tonight that ORouke got the job I said there would be eruptions in Armagh. I haven't rated Down for a few years so the jury is still out on him as a manager but I wouldn't have picked him for the job. It remains to be seen what the players think and with the GPA connections in Armagh it's not unreasonable to suggest there could be trouble ahead if there isn't player support of him. I'm looking further down the line.
What do you think? Will he have player support?

Peter McDonnell? McGeeney? Grimley's demands?

you know nothing of any of these things.

what are the GPA got to do with anything except that you want them to be?

clear off you amateur

5 Sams

Lets get back to basics lads.

POR is an AI winning captain for DOWN.

He's after accepting the managership of ARMAGH.

Sorry lads...would he be able to give 100% to his neighbour.......

This is wierd shit...I dont know who the biggest eeijts are POR or the Armagh county board ??? ??? ???
The Aristocrat Years

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 02, 2009, 11:45:07 PM
Lets get back to basics lads.

POR is an AI winning captain for DOWN.

He's after accepting the managership of ARMAGH.

Sorry lads...would he be able to give 100% to his most hated enemy....

This is wierd shit...I dont know who the biggest eeijts are POR or the Armagh county board ??? ??? ???

Hated enemy is a bit strong to be fair.

I've no doubt he'll come and do his best. I just have no confidence that his best will be of any benefit.

orangeman

Listening to that interview with Jimmy Smyth, I've no doubt that POR will be 100% committed to Armagh. He said he'd leave no stone unturned in order to ensure success and I believe him.

POR comes across as a decent man who eats,sleeps and drinks the game.

I honestly hope he does a good job.

dowling

I thought we were all amateurs.
I'm trying to make a serious point here if you can stop getting on like Reillers for a few posts.
I don't believe Armagh are the force they were but there's the potential to rebuild. Can they do it under ORourke? I doubt it. Did McGeeney think success was a kick of the ball away? I think he was too shrewd to think that. As for Grimley, well what are his credentials as a county manager?
But Armagh are now where they are. So what will happen next? I believe there'll be an effort to overturn this decision and the expression of opinion on this board re-enforces that. It's just a matter of where that effort come from.