Paddy O'Rourke named as new Armagh Manager

Started by orange2009, October 02, 2009, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

There's been a backer sitting there 4 years being turned down every year. old boys' network is more important than money

orangeman

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 10:00:18 PM
John rafferty has won three county titles and an ulster club championship

peter rafferty has won an ulster and all  ireland u21

donal murtagh has won 3 county championships, 3 ulster clubs in a row and an all ireland club

Brian mcalinden has won 2 ulster titles - when they mattered

paddy o'rourke has won nothing

whay not give it to an armagh man who has won nothing?

are you advocating not considering managerial records when making appointments?

bad experience is way worse than no experience

It's obviously best to have had a degree of success behind you but what I'm saying is that there are clubs / counties out there who are handing out jobs to people who have won nothing and this doesn't preclude them from applying in the first instance or getting appointed.

The CB have decided in their wisdom with or without the approval of the clubs that POR was the best man for the job. Obviously they don't see his lack of titles in his managerial career as a stumbling block to progress with Armagh.

Personally I agree with you but there you go.

BroJolly

When O'Rourke was manager of Down the consencus was that he couldn't be faulted for enthusiasm, but had no clue when it came to setting a team up to play football.

Just can't get my head around how this decision was made. Only conclusion is that everyone else must have said no. What other possible reason could there be

Trevor Hill

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 10:03:10 PM

There's been a backer sitting there 4 years being turned down every year. old boys' network is more important than money

Is Hughie skint?

orangeman

Quote from: BroJolly on October 02, 2009, 10:06:02 PM
When O'Rourke was manager of Down the consencus was that he couldn't be faulted for enthusiasm, but had no clue when it came to setting a team up to play football.

Just can't get my head around how this decision was made. Only conclusion is that everyone else must have said no. What other possible reason could there be

Money ???

BroJolly

I'm sure O'Rourke will get well paid, which makes this even worse!!

Cúig huaire

Quote from: BroJolly on October 02, 2009, 10:08:16 PM

Paddy is a good honest GAA man and would never look for money. He also wouldnt be short of a bob or two so he isnt taking the Armagh job for the money.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

naka

sometimes it is not always the money that goes thru the books that counts with sponsors 8)

DuffleKing

Quote from: Trevor Hill on October 02, 2009, 10:06:39 PM

Is Hughie skint?

He doesn't put in as that much - relatively speaking. there are several "second tier backers" who contribute almost as much.

the potential sponsor is talking mega money - relatively

DuffleKing

Quote from: naka on October 02, 2009, 10:10:47 PM

sometimes it is not always the money that goes thru the books that counts with sponsors 8)

That is a very accurate point

Smokin Joe

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 10:11:01 PM

Is Hughie skint?

He doesn't put in as that much - relatively speaking. there are several "second tier backers" who contribute almost as much.

Duffleking, any clues as to who the potential sponsor is?

Cúig huaire

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 10:11:46 PM
Quote from: naka on October 02, 2009, 10:10:47 PM

That is a very accurate point

Its not a manger you need, its a money launderer.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

orangeman

Quote from: Cúig huaire on October 02, 2009, 10:10:35 PM
Quote from: BroJolly on October 02, 2009, 10:08:16 PM

Paddy is a good honest GAA man and would never look for money. He also wouldnt be short of a bob or two so he isnt taking the Armagh job for the money.

Definitely he comes across as this. But given the handling with Grimley etc, I can understand why Armagh posters are shocked and disappointment at his appointment.

yellowcard

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 02, 2009, 10:12:18 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on October 02, 2009, 10:11:01 PM

Is Hughie skint?

Duffleking, any clues as to who the potential sponsor is?

Lets put it this way, he has sponsored teams with a much much bigger outlay than Armagh would ever need.