Walsh and Moran off to St Kilda?

Started by macdanger2, September 30, 2009, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Its going to be tough for Tommy to make it although if he works hard he has probably got more chance than any of the recent irish fellas. Setanta has been doing alrite at aussie rules for the past few years and he wasnt even a footballer but he did work his ass off, i reckon if Tommy wants it and works as hard as Setanta did then he has a real chance of making it. However Setanta joined Carlton when they were the bottom side of the AFL whereas Tommy Walsh is joining St Kilda who are in the top 2 or 3 sides in the AFL right now. This might mean it will be hard for him to get a good run of games for a few years, Colm Belgey only got 1 game this year for St Kilda when they rested about 10 first team players. Would Tommy Walsh want to play in St Kilda 2nds for a few years after starring for Kerry for the past few years???/

Because of his size and strength it would mean that his skills wouldnt need to be as good as what the likes of Martin Clarkes would have needed to be. Saying that his skills will still need to be pretty damn good to play at the elite level of aussie rules. Hope he has a real crack at it, its always good having an irish player to follow in the AFL.

HeaveHo

Begley has been delisted and is likely to return to Ireland.

HeaveHo

Quote from: county colours on October 21, 2009, 03:37:51 PM
Wot sort of money r these aussie clubs offering these rookie irish players??????

Standard international rookie contract are $50,000 (around 30,000 Euro). I think there is a top up if an international rookie actually plays in the seniors.

Aerlik

Quote from: JimStynes on October 22, 2009, 12:22:38 AM
Hope he has a real crack at it, its always good having an irish player to follow in the AFL.

So you'll be shouting for the Saints next season as well as the drug runners? :P
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

JimStynes

Quote from: Aerlik on October 22, 2009, 09:05:47 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 22, 2009, 12:22:38 AM
Hope he has a real crack at it, its always good having an irish player to follow in the AFL.

So you'll be shouting for the Saints next season as well as the drug runners? :P

I was going to say im shouting for the drug runners but that could mean im supporting Freo or West Coast but i'l be supporting West Coast just and following the progress of the Irish fellas.

Donnellys Hollow

Moran's loss shouldn't be underestimated if he makes it down under. He looks like a fine replacement for Darragh Ó Sé. Caught some amount of ball in the first half against Clon. Looks to have bulked up significantly over the past year as well.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

tyssam5

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 08, 2009, 02:44:41 PM
Moran's loss shouldn't be underestimated if he makes it down under. He looks like a fine replacement for Darragh Ó Sé. Caught some amount of ball in the first half against Clon. Looks to have bulked up significantly over the past year as well.
[/b]

Kerry paying for St Kilda's development?

blanketattack

Is it true that of all the Irish players that have tried it in Aussie Rules none have made it as forwards?

Jinxy

Setanta is a forward now.
Played well last season.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on November 23, 2009, 02:01:00 PM
Doesn't look promising for Moran.

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/other-sports/2009/11/23/Nixon-worried-about-Moran-attitude/gnid-59209/

Nixon really showing himself up to a slimy good for nothing. I think thats a scandalous statement to make. Basically saying if he doesn't make it -it wasn't my fault for nominating him.

Tyrone Dreamer

Maybe he was using Moran to get Walsh signed up and out there. Would be hard for Walsh to come back now after making plans and announcing he was going.

orangeman

Didn't last long out there -

Kerry footballer David Moran was upbeat about his AFL experience despite not securing a rookie contract with Melbourne's St Kilda Football Club for the coming season after an intensive two week trial period with the AFL side.

Moran commented: 'I had a great time in Melbourne training with St Kilda this past two weeks. I'd like to thank the club for this chance to come into contact with a professional sports set-up and to see if my physical make up and skill set was suited to Aussie Rules.

'It was a big challenge competing in various trails against professional AFL players over a short period especially after a long GAA season but I really enjoyed it and have taken positives from the experience, which I can apply to my own sporting career in the future.'

St Kilda General Manager Matthew Drain, was impressed by David's attitude and willingness to learn over the trial period. He commented: 'We are delighted that David took up the offer of a trial period with St Kilda over the last fortnight as we missed the chance to see him up close last year due to his college exam commitments.

Overall, he did very well showing good endurance and he definitely was not out of his depth in our professional environment."

Drain continued: 'David is only 21 years old but showed a great professional attitude and enthusiasm during his time and his potential as a great all round sports man is obvious. As we know only a very small number of athletes from GAA successfully make the transition to AFL.'

Moran will return home this week to make himself available for selection to his club Kerins O'Rahilly's in the Munster SFC Final against Kilmurry-Ibrickane this Sunday in the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick.

A Quinn Martin Production

Antrim's Tomas McCann is back as well.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties