Walsh and Moran off to St Kilda?

Started by macdanger2, September 30, 2009, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: thejuice on October 06, 2009, 02:29:00 PM
QuoteThe reason he's always denied his interest in playing the AFL is because his father is very influential and doesn't want to upset the big names in Kerry circles.

coming out with that shite might not help his cause.

Aye - pure dung.

Tubberman

Looks like it's a done deal as far as Tommy Walsh is concerned.
Bad news for football, but you can't blame him for taking up the offer.
Just so annoying to see players who have come all the way up through the ranks in the GAA, and just when they burst onto the senior scene, they're gone  >:(

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26233439-5016212,00.html

ST KILDA has completed a stunning hit and run raid on Ireland's best young gaelic player, Tommy Walsh, signing him late last night to a two-year rookie deal.

To the horror of the Gaelic Athletic Association and his county, Kerry, Saints list manager Matthew Drain flew from New York to Dublin overnight Sunday to sign Walsh, the winner of the 2008 Young Player of the Year.

Walsh, who is 194cm and weighs 99kg, is a dynamic forward and is considered the brightest young star of gaelic football, comparable in excitement to the AFL's Buddy Franklin.

Irish media have speculated for months on the future of the 21-year-old, believing he would turn his back on an AFL career and remain at gaelic champions, Kerry.

Walsh last night scuttled their dreams.

"I'm very excited," Walsh said. "I'm glad all the speculation is over and I'm looking forward to going over.

"It was a very tough decision ... but it was just too good an opportunity to pass up.

"I'm not under any illusions about what's ahead and hopefully it will work out.".

The Saints swooped last night, which was part of a frenetic four-day round-the-world odyssey for Drain.

Drain flew out of Melbourne Friday lunch-time, arrived in New York on Friday night, left New York for Dublin on Sunday night, arrived in Dublin yesterday and will fly back to New York tonight in anticipation of talking to Luke Ball, who is on holiday, about his future.

Drain said last night it was "very pleasing" to finally sign Walsh. "From our point of point of view it was one of the reasons we gave up pick 16 (for Andrew Lovett) because in the back of our mind we thought we could get him," Drain said.

"He is the best credentialed player to come out of Ireland.

"He's very different to a lot of key forwards going around, he's very agile for his height, he was in the Stephen Hill range in agility testing."

Player manager Ricky Nixon, who 'found' Walsh via his Irish Academy, said last night Walsh would have "the eyes of two countries on him instead of one".

"Hopefully he will revolutionise Irish players in the AFL," Nixon said. "Most, if not all, have been running midfielders but Tommy is a forward and no Irish player has come to play forward in the AFL ... he is a powerhouse player.

"He's built like Wayne Carey and that's not to say he will play like Wayne Carey because he won't, but he is an imposing player."

The Saints will try to fast-track Walsh's development with the view to playing him beside skipper Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke next year.

"He's a born leader, he's from an outstanding family, his father Sean was an absolute legend for Kerry and his two younger bothers are standout players in the juniors."

The GAA and the Kerry heartland will be devastated by Walsh's decision, which comes just weeks after Collingwood pair Marty Clarke and Kevin Dyas returned to Ireland.

Walsh, who will earn about $50,000 per year, will be possibly joined at St Kilda by Kerry teammate David Moran, a running midfielder.

Eye-catching is Walsh's athleticism and, obviously, his size. It puts him in the bracket of Sydney's Adam Goodes, St Kilda's Sam Gilbert, Port's Warren Tredrea and Carlton's Jarrad Waite who are listed as 194cm in the AFL Season Guide.

Walsh spent a week at St Kilda last December and while ecstatic about the experience, he did not commit himself to a potential AFL career.

"I met the first-team coach, the captain Nick Riewoldt and some of the players," he said. "I felt comfortable."

The Saints have tracked him through the gaelic season, while Walsh himself has been developing his AFL skills set. "With most players who come out of Ireland, we watch them, talk to them, and teach them them to kick a drop punt," Nixon said.

"The advantage of him coming out here a year ago is that he's had a Sherrin in his hands for a year to practise his skills.

Drain, meanwhile, is set to seek out Ball in New York on his return tomorrow in the States.

"We'll try to work through things over the next few weeks," Drain said.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GaillimhIarthair

Walsh signs two-year Aussie contract

Tommy Walsh
Monday, 19 October 2009 15:33
Kerry forward Tommy Walsh has signed a two year contract with AFL team St Kilda of Melbourne and will depart for Australia in the coming weeks to take up pre season training with his new team.

Walsh is obviously looking forward to his stint Down Under and said: 'I'm very excited. I'm glad all the speculation is over and I'm looking forward to going over to the Saints.

It was a very tough decision but it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. I have got a lot of support from fellow club and county players, family and friends in Kerry. I'm not under any illusions about what's ahead and hopefully it will work out.'

St Kilda General Manager, Matthew Drain, speaking on the club's website said: 'Tommy Walsh is one of the most credentialed players to come out of Ireland.

While he faces hard work to adapt to AFL at the highest level, we are confident that what we have seen of him proves he has enormous talent to become an important player for St Kilda.'

ballinaman

He signed the contract back in late June/ early July. Tried to keep it hush hush until now.

magickingdom

hardly a surprise, kerry will have a decent international rules team yet. . .

Aerlik

Quote from: magickingdom on October 19, 2009, 08:08:02 PM
:D

He's joining a squad that is just reaching its peak.  I would be sceptical of him making it, but good luck to him.  Just don't fecking beat freo.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

irunthev

Quote from: Aerlik on October 20, 2009, 05:32:48 AM

He's joining a squad that is just reaching its peak.  I would be sceptical of him making it, but good luck to him.  Just don't fecking beat freo.

It would be very hard not to. ;D

JimStynes

He should have went to Freo, he would definately get a game there. Aerliks young fella would get a game and hes only 8  ;)

DuffleKing

Quote from: Aerlik on October 20, 2009, 05:32:48 AM

whats the attributes / lack of that you think he has or hasn't got that might translate to making it aerlik?

INDIANA

St kilda have arguably the finest squad in the AFL. Tough gig for Walsh. They already have a number of top forwards.

No Irish player has made it as a forward. They aren't making it easy for him. He's make a better fullback in my view. But Good luck to him- seems like a nice fella.

Aerlik

Quote from: JimStynes on October 20, 2009, 08:45:29 AM
He should have went to Freo, he would definately get a game there. Aerliks young fella would get a game and hes only 8  ;)

Haha JS, he still raves about you and wonders where you are.  the auskick finished about a month ago and he is lost.  Still, the pool is there to enjoy.

Agree with Indiana,although it is hard to believe that that St.Kilda team got feckin tanked by Freo two years ago.  Should never have let Jeff Farmer go.  Come back Farmer, come baaaaaaaack.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

orangeman

FROM RTE :

Ricky Nixon, who brought Walsh out to Australia last year for a trial, spoke glowingly of his potential saying: 'Hopefully he will revolutionise Irish players in the AFL. Most, if not all, have been running midfielders but Tommy is a forward and no Irish player has come to play forward in the AFL. He is a powerhouse player.

'He's a born leader. He's from an outstanding family. His father Sean was an absolute legend for Kerry and his two younger bothers are standout players in the juniors.'[/u]

county colours

Wot sort of money r these aussie clubs offering these rookie irish players??????

Kerry Mike

First of all I wish him well, what young lad would not jump at the chance . And as he has burnt no bridges he will be welcome back in the Kingdom in a few years if he wants  and may even come back better and stronger. And that is a bad thought for any fullback.

A huge loss for us though and his scores in the Semi and final were vital in leading Sam home to us this year.

But it opens the door for someone else to step up, if Darragh retires as I think he may and Kennelly returns to Oz as well there will be a few new faces in the Kerry line up next year and that has to be an exciting opportunity for any budding Kerry footballer. There is lots of talent out there in the Kingdom so hopefully Jack and co will bring them through in the League.

Thanks again Tommy and well done on 2 great years service in the Kerry Jersey.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

ross matt

Tommy is dead right to jump at the chance to play professional sport in a country where he can enjoy an exceptional climate and lifestyle for a few years. I think with his rare combination of size, power, speed and skill he should adapt to the demands of Aussie rules.

That being said he will be a huge loss to Kerry and the GAA in general. Outstanding talent who's very exciting to watch for all neutrals as well and kingdom fans. Hopefully Walsh will come back in the future as an even better player. Best of luck to him.