The 26 County Lisbon Treaty Poll

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, September 30, 2009, 12:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The EDITED - Will you be voting Yes or No to the Lisbon Treaty (26 County only)

Republic - Yes
20 (39.2%)
Republic - No
20 (39.2%)
Republic - Unsure
2 (3.9%)
Northern - Yes
2 (3.9%)
Northern-  No
6 (11.8%)
Northern - Unsure
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: October 03, 2009, 12:24:20 AM

no mo do yakamo

It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

ONeill

Amazing the amount of voters who voted yes and cannot tell you what they voted for.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cúig huaire

Quote from: ONeill on October 04, 2009, 12:15:21 PM
Amazing the amount of voters who voted yes and cannot tell you what they voted for.

The main parties told their voters how they wanted them to vote. Surely the government should remain neutral in such a vote?
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

ONeill

I heard a fellow on the wireless yesterday who had phoned in to the BBC. He said he didn't really know why he had changed from No to Yes but said he, and those around them, felt bullied into voting yes simply because the economy was on its knees and they'd try anything to alter that.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

no mo do yakamo

I imagine theres ship loads of foreign direct investment en route right now and well be back to full employment by friday. Talks underway to cancel our national debt no doubt and the scientists from jurassic park are working on bringing the old celtic tiger back to life. By christmas my house will be worth 30% more than it was at its peak and itll be good to see an end to all these new levies. All we had to do was say yes!!!
I suppose its a bit lke heroin really. Just try it once. Itll be great, i promise. There'll be no consequences. Sure what could possibly go wrong?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Cúig huaire on October 04, 2009, 12:20:21 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 04, 2009, 12:15:21 PM

The main parties told their voters how they wanted them to vote. Surely the government should remain neutral in such a vote?
why do they want to relinquish power though?  That's what I don't understand, in all honesty I'm happy to see them not involved, decisions might be made in the interests of fairness and forward planning might be employed too.  Will we get a decently funded health and education system like the swedes and the frogs now too?
Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 04, 2009, 09:05:16 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 03, 2009, 09:23:45 PM
Quote from: no mo do yakamo on October 03, 2009, 08:44:09 PM
Conditional ratification is all the result of this vote mandates. The government should temporarily ratify the treaty reserving the right to opt out if the stated guarantees arent set in stone in the next treaty as agreed. A 2 year time frame on this would be reasonable i think. Funny , I suspect that the whizz kids who draw up the next treaty will find that its "legally impossible" to include these guarantees.  What then? New referendum? I doubt it.

I saw somewhere that there won't be anymore treaties (i.e. laws are made and no going back after Lisbon). Maybe I'm completely wrong but if this is the case where is this 'European project' heading?

PS, to all you who voted Yes. What is the 'European project'? Because to me it's handing over more and more power to Brussells. Maybe the govt want to do that cos they're scared shit of doing anything themselves.

You are correct, there will be no more referendums for Ireland on european issues. Instead any changes to the EU will be ratified by our parliament just like in other countries. To me it looks like the EU is trying to be a big Superpower to compete with the US and China. What worries me is that we will eventually get involved in resource wars in the not to distant future. If that happens what can we do. There will be no Veto for us in any vote, we have less than 1% of voting power, we can protest all we like it won't make any difference and our useless politicians will spin it like we are somehow not part of it (just like when US war planes land in Shannon to refuel).
Can we not just leave anytime we want anyway?

Cúig huaire

Quote from: ONeill on October 04, 2009, 12:25:40 PM
I heard a fellow on the wireless yesterday who had phoned in to the BBC. He said he didn't really know why he had changed from No to Yes but said he, and those around them, felt bullied into voting yes simply because the economy was on its knees and they'd try anything to alter that.

It seems a lot of voters felt the same. Anyone I spoke to voted no, for the simple reason that is how they voted last time.
Thats 1-1 now on aggregate, so we`ll need another vote to settle it.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

magpie seanie

Yesterday was a sad and depressing day for Ireland. I'm gutted. The only conclusion I can come to is we are a nation of cowardly idiots who deserve the poorly governed, wasteful country we have.

armaghniac

QuoteSure what could possibly go wrong?

What went wrong with the Nice referundum, since it passed?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

no mo do yakamo

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
QuoteSure what could possibly go wrong?

What went wrong with the Nice referundum, since it passed?
Well for a start it led to this debacle.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Cúig huaire on October 04, 2009, 01:00:46 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 04, 2009, 12:25:40 PM

It seems a lot of voters felt the same. Anyone I spoke to voted no, for the simple reason that is how they voted last time.
Thats 1-1 now on aggregate, so we`ll need another vote to settle it.

The vast majority of people I know and spoke too voted Yes, none seemed to feel forced to vote Yes, in fact many changed their minds from No due to the lies and misrepresentations of the No side last time and again this time, indeed it seems that it was last time that people felt scared into voting No.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 04, 2009, 02:17:58 PM
Yesterday was a sad and depressing day for Ireland. I'm gutted. The only conclusion I can come to is we are a nation of cowardly idiots who deserve the poorly governed, wasteful country we have.

67.1% of the electorate disagree.
Yesteday was an uplifting and cheerful day for Ireland. I'm delighted.
People who vote for Fianna Fail - The only conclusion I can come to is we are a nation of cowardly idiots who deserve the poorly governed, wasteful country we have.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

no mo do yakamo

We must respect the peoples right to be wrong. ;)

magickingdom

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 04, 2009, 10:45:46 AM
What's the 'European project' to you anyway tankie? Just wondering, seen as none of the 'yes' side managed to answer my question yet.

i cant speak for tankie but for me it means closer cooperation with our fellow europeans for the benefit of all. . i became a real big fan of the eec when maggie thatcher issued her 'out, out , out' response to the new ireland forum. the only reason the british governments allows the irish government any role in ni is because of the partnership brought about thru the eu imo

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Magickingdom you can now watch the country's independence slowly go down the tube, sadly in 2-5-10 years when the truth/realisation hits home, it's to late to rectify the situation.
You idiots all took the party line, ffs you may hate SF but are you all that embarassed to be IRISH, cause see now, you have lost your nationality.
Sad.
Tbc....