Kevin Dyas returning home

Started by topgun, September 29, 2009, 03:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topgun

Dyas leaving Collingwood to return home

Kevin Dyas is returning to Ireland
Tuesday, 29 September 2009 14:46
Former Armagh inter county footballer Kevin Dyas has parted company with his Aussie Rules club Collingwood and is returning to Ireland, the club have confirmed.

Dyas, who was a senior panelist with Armagh in 2007, cited a mixture of homesickness and injury as his reason for returning home.

The move comes less than a week after Down's Martin Clarke confirmed he is also leaving Collingwood and returning to Ireland.

Collingwood's chief of football operations Geoff Walsh said: 'Kevin tore his hamstring off the bone late last season, and had to go through a six-month recovery period.

'He got back pretty well to play most of this season with the VFL, but more so it was the difficulty with his restricted training program.

'Unfortunately, he missed a fair bit of footy through the hamstring injury, and that was probably the time where he was in his formative years in terms of development,' he added.

Despite losing both Dyas and Clarke within the space of a week, Walsh confirmed that Collingwood will continue looking towards Ireland for new talent.

'We'll continue to have a network operating for us in Ireland, and if they see players they consider to be prospects, we'll still be positive,' he said
a prophet is not recognised by his own

armaghniac

Potentially great news for Armagh. Good to see that it is not polluting a Down thread, although CĂșig huaire will probably complain about a new Armagh thread! 

Dyas and Clarke probably have enough money put aside to enjoy university and play a bit of round ball, with long term careers at the end of it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Potential in the key word armaghniac. None of these boys have ever kicked a ball at senior intercounty level so who know's how they will fare but anything that strengthens our options is good news.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

holylandsniper

TAC

I think you will find Dyas did play Senior Football - not massive lot but still did wing half back if i remember correctly

armaghniac

He may not even want to play and he comes in a sector of the field where we already have options. An new Ronan Clarke, a truly class forward that could win his own ball would be really useful.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: holylandsniper on September 29, 2009, 03:32:40 PM
TAC

I think you will find Dyas did play Senior Football - not massive lot but still did wing half back if i remember correctly

Funny I noticed it said he was a panelist in 2007. Don't think he played either championship match this year. Maybe a game or 2 in the league? I'm struggling to remember?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Had a look through old posts there - seems as though he did play a bit in the league in 2007 - at least against Louth. From what I remember of that one Stevie stole a win for us with a late goal. My post-match comments concentrate on complaining about the over-use of umbrellas.

nrico2006

QuotePotential in the key word armaghniac. None of these boys have ever kicked a ball at senior intercounty level so who know's how they will fare but anything that strengthens our options is good news.

True, both Clarke and Dyas have big profiles but have yet to prove anything at Senior level.  Dyas played a few league games in 2007 as a sub (Louth and Down) and maybe one full game (Kildare) as well as a substitute appearance against Derry in the qualifiers.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tommy Tight Lips

dyas def played against derry that year in the qualifiers

Jinxy

Quote from: armaghniac on September 29, 2009, 03:33:23 PM
He may not even want to play and he comes in a sector of the field where we already have options. An new Ronan Clarke, a truly class forward that could win his own ball would be really useful.

But do you have options with his pace?
He could free up someone else to move into the half-forward line.
Provided his hamstring isn't a complete mess.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

I'll await my apology from armagh's finest Mr GAA......

Tough going for the lad though. Not nice to see at all- but he'll be a huge addition for the county team - he was an excellent underage player anytime I saw him. I think the AFL bubble has burst at this stage as people truly see how hard it is to make it out there.

Jinxy

I'd disagree slightly Indiana.
How many have come home recently because they aren't good enough?
Kennelly was an established and highly regarded player.
Murphy would have made his debut for the Swans during the year if it wasn't for injury.
Shields seemed to be doing fine with Carltons VFL side.
Clarke would more than likely have been back in the Collingwood first team next season.
And on the other side of the coin, Quinn has already played a number of first team games for Essendon in his first year over there.
It's not so much a question of not making it as not really wanting to make it.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2009, 05:30:25 PM
I'd disagree slightly Indiana.
How many have come home recently because they aren't good enough?
Kennelly was an established and highly regarded player.
Murphy would have made his debut for the Swans during the year if it wasn't for injury.
Shields seemed to be doing fine with Carltons VFL side.
Clarke would more than likely have been back in the Collingwood first team next season.
And on the other side of the coin, Quinn has already played a number of first team games for Essendon in his first year over there.
It's not so much a question of not making it as not really wanting to make it.

Don't agree Jinxy. Shields wasn't good enough and neither were Murphy or Dyas or young O Hailpin. Hanley is unlikely to make it now either. Clarke did for a while and to a lesser extent so did Begley.
Aside from Jim Stynes- Kennelly is the only other who has carved a genuine career for himself. Micheal Quiiin and the older O Hailpin might as well. But there is  no sign of Meredith or Mc Keever making debuts anytime soon either. It really isn't proving as fertile a breeding ground as the Aussies thought.

Jinxy

You're confusing "making it" with being a star player.
All you can ask is were they worth a place on an AFL first team?
Kennelly obviously was, Clarke was, O'hAilpin is, Quinn is and Murphy definitely would have been.
I followed Murphys progress with the reserve side and the fans were very excited by him.
He would have got a first-team game last year only he had groin trouble.
There aren't many lads his height in the AFL that can run like he can.
The swans fans in the know were very disappointed he was leaving.
Shields maybe wouldn't have made it but the fact is the only person to come home recently after being delisted is Aisake O'hAilpin.
The rest have made their own minds up to jack it in.
The Brisbane fans have plenty of time for Hanley too.
Ability to play the game does not seem to be the problem with him either, again he has missed a lot of time through injury.

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on September 29, 2009, 05:09:18 PM
I'll await my apology from armagh's finest Mr GAA......

According to those that actually know him and have spoken to him recently, he only made a firm decision to return in the last week or two. So you can pretend that you were in the know all you like, but the reality is that your earlier musing were nothing but speculation.