The Bible

Started by Aerlik, September 28, 2009, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

:D :D

Very good Wobbler.  I had a similar experience with the Christian group at uni.  They said they were Christians and Catholics...well...weren't Christian.  So I asked them about pre-Reformation.  Gulp. 

I got an email back from the organiser who has assured me it is not an evangelical session.  We'll wait and see.

Sligonian, he is Jordanian born of Palestinian ancestry.  His grandparents were expelled in 1948.  He is no fan of the Jordanian royal family I can tell you.  You cannot condemn all muslims because of your experiences.  That would be like condemning Irish Catholics for the sins of Ecuadorian Catholics.  you cannot compare like for like.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Aerlik on September 29, 2009, 03:21:01 AM
:D :D

Very good Wobbler.  I had a similar experience with the Christian group at uni.  They said they were Christians and Catholics...well...weren't Christian.  So I asked them about pre-Reformation.  Gulp. 

I got an email back from the organiser who has assured me it is not an evangelical session.  We'll wait and see.

Sligonian, he is Jordanian born of Palestinian ancestry.  His grandparents were expelled in 1948.  He is no fan of the Jordanian royal family I can tell you.  You cannot condemn all muslims because of your experiences.  That would be like condemning Irish Catholics for the sins of Ecuadorian Catholics.  you cannot compare like for like.

In my defence i did say 99%, im sure theres 1% that are ok, and I would say that percentage is not far off living here. Maybe muslims living in the western world are different and I think ive been clear it is Qatar and UAE im on about.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Aerlik

First night last night.  Usual suspects, holier-than-thou's and holy Joes and Josephines.    We didn't do anything earth-shattering but I did learn why the Catholic Bible is different from the Protestant one.

Trivia.  Catholic Bibles have 73 books.  Protestant ones have 66.

There's going to be some craic discussing the origins of humanity.  One wee wummin proclaimed that it is the truth since the beginning of mankind on earth.  I foresee a debate.

Cupla fit young'ins there too.  Hmm, wonder if they've been corrupted yet?

Maiden1

Quote from: Aerlik on October 08, 2009, 11:13:31 AM
First night last night.  Usual suspects, holier-than-thou's and holy Joes and Josephines.    We didn't do anything earth-shattering but I did learn why the Catholic Bible is different from the Protestant one.

There's going to be some craic discussing the origins of humanity.  One wee wummin proclaimed that it is the truth since the beginning of mankind on earth.  I foresee a debate.

Why did the other 7 get the chop then?  I sometimes wonder how they decided whether someone was a prophet or just had too many magic mushrooms.

Also there where multiple gospels, not just the 4 we generally here about.  Gospel of Thomas, James, Peter, Judas ..
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Aerlik

Good questions...actually (within reason) if anyone else has questions I don't mind playing devil's advocate. 

Re. the Protestant Bible, Maiden1, I'll get back to you as I don't have the document to hand.  Something to do with Jewish scriptures, I think.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Aerlik on October 08, 2009, 11:13:31 AM

Cupla fit young'ins there too.  Hmm, wonder if they've been corrupted yet?
Is it not Adam and Eve and a spare rib in each?

nifan

QuoteWhy did the other 7 get the chop then?

I think that they got the chop as they where historically inaccurate - the stories conflict with real, recorded events.

theskull1

Anybody interested in studying this in a bit more detail would enjoy this audio lecture by the teaching company (TTC)

TTC History of the Bible- The Making of the New Testament Canon

Seach the torrent sites for it.

Good start where the lecturer asks (american audience)

How many people here believe in the existence of God?.....Vast majority of hands go up
How many people here believe that Jesus was the Son of God?......Vast majority of hands go up
How many people here believe that the Bilble is the word of God?.....Vast majority of hands go up
How many people here have read the Dan Brown novel The Da Vinci Code?....Majority of hands go up
How many people here have actually too the time to read the Bible?......very very few hands go up

Then he asks the rhetorical question..if so many believe in God and believe that the Bible is the word of God, how come so few people actually take the time to read it?

A load of leeks as HS would say
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Iceman

Quote from: nifan on October 08, 2009, 12:19:28 PM
QuoteWhy did the other 7 get the chop then?

I think that they got the chop as they where historically inaccurate - the stories conflict with real, recorded events.
I think they got the chop because they contradict protestant teaching on various subjects such as purgatory and veneration of the saints.  But that's a whole different topic.

I think a bible study class is good if the facilitator knows what they are at and you are going for the right reasons.  If drawing closer to God is taking a back seat to rooting over the women in attendance then maybe the class isn't for you......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nifan

Quote from: The Iceman on October 08, 2009, 02:13:31 PM
I think they got the chop because they contradict protestant teaching on various subjects such as purgatory and veneration of the saints.  But that's a whole different topic.

Well I believe Judith was chopped for the reason i stated anyway - Nebuchadnezzar didnt manage to conquer Judea in the book, when he actually did in reality.
not sure about the other books - i had assumed the reasons might be similar, maybe not.

Maiden1

I think a bible study class is good if the facilitator knows what they are at and you are going for the right reasons.  If drawing closer to God is taking a back seat to rooting over the women in attendance then maybe the class isn't for you......

There was a girl in our class at uni who was a christian who apparently was a bit of a goer if she had a few drinks in her so maybe Aerlik is on to something.

If they are going to start cutting out bits because they don't sound real then Moses parting the red sea or talking to the burning bush sounds a bit far fetched.  I'm not sure about Adam giving Eve one of his ribs either.  There might not be much left if they keep going like that.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Hound

Quote from: Maiden1 on October 08, 2009, 03:14:35 PM
There was a girl in our class at uni who was a christian who apparently was a bit of a goer if she had a few drinks in her so maybe Aerlik is on to something.

Those christians are all the same  ;)

nifan

Quote from: Maiden1 on October 08, 2009, 03:14:35 PM
If they are going to start cutting out bits because they don't sound real then Moses parting the red sea or talking to the burning bush sounds a bit far fetched.  I'm not sure about Adam giving Eve one of his ribs either.  There might not be much left if they keep going like that.

:D
I was of course reffering to historical events that where recorded differently, rather than tales of miracles, which dont have the same sources to back them up ;)

Aerlik

::) FFS Iceman, chill out.  Bwaaahaahaha  :D Iceman...chill out.  Get it?  Any how.

According to the text what Christians call the Old Testament was originally the Hebrew canon of scripture.  Today the Jewish canon contains 39 books of 3 different types:

• The Law
(Torah) also called the Pentateuch or the books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deutoronomy

• The Prophets
Joshua, Judges, 1st and 2nd Samuel, 1st and 2nd Kings, Isiaih, jeremiah, Ezekial, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, zechariah, Malachi

• The Writings
Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lametations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra-Nehemiah, 1st and 2nd Chronicles.

The reason for the differences is:
The earliest Christians spoke Greek and used a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures called the Septuagint.  This included the thirty-nine books named above plus seven books that Jews today consider sacred but do not include in their canon: Tobit, Judith, 1 and2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Ecclesiasticus (aka Sirach), Baruch, and some additional passages in Daniel and Esther.  Catholic Bibles follow the early Christians and include all forty-six books in their Old Testament.  At the time of the Reformation, the Protestat Reformers chose to follow the shorter Hebrew canon.  All Christians, whether Catholic or Protestant, include the same 27 books in the New Testament.

The Iceman

Quote from: Aerlik on October 08, 2009, 04:03:02 PM

::) FFS Iceman, chill out.  Bwaaahaahaha  :D Iceman...chill out.  Get it?  Any how.

I am completely chill, dude
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight