Wounded

Started by Tony Baloney, September 24, 2009, 09:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Anyone see this last night on bbc1? Tough watch.

fitzroyalty

Saw some of it. Mixed feelings. Can't help feeling sorry for lads who aren't even in their 20s whose lives are now basically ruined...but at the same time they are brits, and have probably caused similiar horrific injuries to a lot more people in the countries they occupy. You see in the media these lads being praised for bravery and courage, if anything this programme should serve as a warning to any other lads that age considering joining not to get brainwashed.

dillinger

Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 24, 2009, 10:50:28 PM
Saw some of it. Mixed feelings. Can't help feeling sorry for lads who aren't even in their 20s whose lives are now basically ruined...but at the same time they are brits, and have probably caused similiar horrific injuries to a lot more people in the countries they occupy. You see in the media these lads being praised for bravery and courage, if anything this programme should serve as a warning to any other lads that age considering joining not to get brainwashed.
Must say your all heart. A real joy to with at a party i guess.  :(

gerry

Quote from: dillinger on September 24, 2009, 11:20:52 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 24, 2009, 10:50:28 PM
Must say your all heart. A real joy to with at a party i guess. :(

have to agree with FR, why are they there.

BTW whats your point
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Tony Baloney

I don't know how you watched bits of it. I couldn't stop watching it. Sad and horrific, but there was something to admire in both of those fellas.

People focus on, and idolise, pure shite like Jordan, Beckham etc. but put them beside some 19 year old lad trying to get his life back a few weeks after getting both legs and an arm blown off. I know were my admiration lies - Brit or not.

whiskeysteve

cant help but feel sorry for people like the young fella who lost both legs and probably his sight. I am also sorry for the families of the dead and injured.

However, I have no sympathy for those soldiers who have been killed in Iraq/Afghanistan where the British have contributed to, and been complicit in a bloody disaster. They werent conscripted and made their choice.

On the other hand, we will not be seeing a fly on the wall documentary of the many thousands of non-combatants horribly maimed by the occupying forces in the aforementioned countries anytime soon.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Donagh

Must admit I have every sympathy for them. You only have to look at likes of the Irish News who are running a squadie blog with their jobs section, or accompany an unemployed 17 year old with no GSCEs to the bru to see the type of lad who is ending up as a mercenary with the British army. I'd guess at least 80% of them aren't joining out of any misplaced sense of patriotism or idealism but are forced into it by economic circumstance i.e. for most it is the only choice.

I pity them and I'm sorry that they are going to have to live with shame and disgrace of their behaviour. In saying that I have nothing but contempt for the c***ts that place them in that position. Whether it be the politicians who play games with the lives of others or allow an education system that fails them, or the toffee nosed twats who encourage or turn a blind eye to the barbarity in Basra or Helmond - I couldn't care less if those f**kers end up getting beheaded on youtube. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Very true Donagh, they need the conveyor belt of uneducated and unemployable to fill the cannons still; not that far removed from the emptying of borstals to swell the ranks of the Black-and-Tans as needs were then.

Young, stupid, able-bodied, and willing... The British military buffoon's dream.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Capt Pat

I can feel sorry for the boyos who get injured and killed and their families who have to look after them and kids who are left without dads. The thing I have a problem with is they don't need to be there and crap like this from Sky "roll of honour". What hounour? There is no honour in getting your legs blown off.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/British-Troops-Killed-In-Afghanistan---Roll-Of-Honour-2009-Jan-Jun/Media-Gallery/200901115196832?lpos=UK_News_First_Picture_Gallery_Teaser_Region_3&lid=GALLERY_15196832_British_Troops_Killed_In_Afghanistan_-_Roll_Of_Honour_2009_%28Jan-Jun%29

Sky News has turned into some sort of horrible propaganda machince for war mongers. Have a look through it and remember to explaing to me what they died for? A complete waste of life, not to mention the other side of the equation the innocent bystanders and genuine fighters on the other side. The Sky things is really getting to me though. The coffins going through "Trumpton" or where ever it is with the crowds by the side of the road. Go get a job and do something useful with your lives.

the waffler

its a hazard of the job now the brits will give them £20000 and tell them be on your way

Declan

QuoteMust admit I have every sympathy for them. You only have to look at likes of the Irish News who are running a squadie blog with their jobs section, or accompany an unemployed 17 year old with no GSCEs to the bru to see the type of lad who is ending up as a mercenary with the British army. I'd guess at least 80% of them aren't joining out of any misplaced sense of patriotism or idealism but are forced into it by economic circumstance i.e. for most it is the only choice.

I pity them and I'm sorry that they are going to have to live with shame and disgrace of their behaviour. In saying that I have nothing but contempt for the c***ts that place them in that position. Whether it be the politicians who play games with the lives of others or allow an education system that fails them, or the toffee nosed t**ts who encourage or turn a blind eye to the barbarity in Basra or Helmond - I couldn't care less if those f**kers end up getting beheaded on youtube.

Very true as is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5BYEOQYLo&feature=related

Capt Pat

They have a lot of these guys effectively recruited before they leave school, they have organisations like the cadets for potential young officers. The navy has a different version of this club as well I think. It is like and army version of the boy scouts.

SidelineKick

Obviously had a bit of sympathy for these lads, you're man doesnt look like that eye sight will be back (I didnt see the end of it so not sure if there was any progress on that front?)

However its an unfair programme to make, if you put Gary Glitter in a documentary with no legs and one arm trying to walk you'd probably end up feeling sorry for him.  Well, maybe not Gary Glitter.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

illdecide

I watched it too and i did sort of feel sorry for them lads but you know the old saying "Live by the sword die by the sword" and i have to say when i seen that Rangers top go on your man from Belfast i sort of changed my tune a bit (just a we bit) but i did genuinely feel a bit sorry for them...It got me thinking though, if the Brits got their way with that war they prob would have made the Irish (Fenian's) fight with them and we'd have been on the front line facing the Land mines and clearing them out of the way for the Brits
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JohnDenver

The english boyo lost a bit of sympathy in my eyes with his "i love to fight" craic.  Maybe blood thirsty thon boy.

Done some laughing at the Bilfasty calling your man a "spastic" when he was trying to get him into the chair  :D  The mother then defending him saying about the good manners he was brought up with.