D Earley
S Scanlon
P Galvin
P O'Neill
P Kelly
S O'Neill
D O'Sullivan
M Murphy

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

sam03/05

i think Owen Mulligan deserves to be in ahead of SONeill

orangeman

I'd agree with Micko in that this won't be the All Stars team in November.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

imtommygunn

I wouldn't have Shields on the team at all. That aside it'd be close enough I'd have thought.

Pearse O'Neill being so anonymous today may mean he doesn't get in either...

INDIANA

Thought it was a brutal selection. You can't play as badly as some of the cork lads did today and get on that.

paddypastit

In fairness three weeks ago, people would have been putting three or four more Cork guys on it. 

Thought two Donegal lads was a bit rich for a team that got dumped in the first round of the province, won a few qualifiers and were embarrased beyond comment in the QF. How must Mayo and Dublin as provincial champions and Meath as AI semi finalists - all witjhout a representative on the team - feel!!

Add that to the MoM choice and you'd begin to wonder if it isn't time for a brush up on the pundits.  The TV3 lads are a lot more 'current' - Senan Connell and Canavan in particular.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

muppet

Quote from: sam03/05 on September 20, 2009, 11:13:26 PM

You should hang your head in shame as a Tyronie.

O'Neill is close to an All-Star this year, Owen is close to being a starting IC footballer.
MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: paddypastit on September 21, 2009, 01:04:04 AM
In fairness three weeks ago, people would have been putting three or four more Cork guys on it. 

Thought two Donegal lads was a bit rich for a team that got dumped in the first round of the province, won a few qualifiers and were embarrased beyond comment in the QF. How must Mayo and Dublin as provincial champions and Meath as AI semi finalists - all witjhout a representative on the team - feel!!

Add that to the MoM choice and you'd begin to wonder if it isn't time for a brush up on the pundits.  The TV3 lads are a lot more 'current' - Senan Connell and Canavan in particular.

Why is the choice of the two Donegals rich? These are selections based on individuals, not teams. If you think Murphy or Lacey are keeping out more worthy recipients, then make the case based on individual worth, not on how the Donegal county team or any other team as a whole performed.

fiftyfiftyball

Dunno how O'Neill got on it. Was poor right throughout the whole of the Ulster championship and didn't even score against Derry.  If 2 Donegal men get on it due to good individual performances then Derry's Gerard O'Kane should maybe have got on it - prob man of the match in every game he played and never gave Sean Cavanagh a kick in the Tyrone/Derry game.

Minder

Quote from: sam03/05 on September 20, 2009, 11:13:26 PM

Nonsense, and you know it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

RMDrive

Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2009, 03:53:34 AM
Quote from: paddypastit on September 21, 2009, 01:04:04 AM

Why is the choice of the two Donegals rich? These are selections based on individuals, not teams. If you think Murphy or Lacey are keeping out more worthy recipients, then make the case based on individual worth, not on how the Donegal county team or any other team as a whole performed.

I agree. John O'Mahoney made the same mistake on the TV last night, saying that he would question Donegal getting two. It doesn't matter where the players are from. It's about the best individuals. I don't think there's too many people who would argue that Lacey and Murphy hadn't good enough years to be in consideration for this at least. Whether they deserve to make the team ????? Well that's the reason why there's always so much debate about these types of teams.

INDIANA

I think it highlights how poor a year it was for Gaelic Football that alternatives are fairly thin on the ground in a lot of positions. I think a lot of them were lucky to get on- but alternatives are few and far between in a lot of cases.

tyronefan

Quote from: fiftyfiftyball on September 21, 2009, 07:40:13 AM
Dunno how O'Neill got on it. Was poor right throughout the whole of the Ulster championship and didn't even score against Derry.  If 2 Donegal men get on it due to good individual performances then Derry's Gerard O'Kane should maybe have got on it - prob man of the match in every game he played and never gave Sean Cavanagh a kick in the Tyrone/Derry game.

ffs he never stopped kicking him

AZOffaly

On the team of the year, I thought it was a decent enough selection, and I'm glad that the midfielders were Earley and Scanlon. Marc O'Sé had a poorish year up until yesterday, so it's only proper that he wasn't in it because of an AI performance. Diarmuid Murphy was beaten a few times that he won't be happy about but his save against Sligo may just have won the All Ireland for them, and he stood up well yesterday although Goulding blasted it straight at him. Someone like Canavan or Gooch or Declan O'Sullivan would have went low to the far corner on that chance.

I'm also glad Gooch didn't get on that team, his form all year has been patchy. Likewise Declan O'Sullivan. It hasn't been a tour de force from Dec apart from the Dublin game, but yesterday again he took the game by the scruff of the neck for about 20 minutes in the first half when Kerry needed it. Won frees, gave super passes and took a nice point himself. I suppose on those 2 performances the argument was made for him. Galvin was great early in the year when Kerry really needed him, and was tireless yesterday.

I'd have made room for Cavanagh though, I thought he was Tyrone's best player with O'Neill. Him missing the semi was a huge blow for Tyrone.