Sunday Game football team of the Year

Started by paddypastit, September 20, 2009, 11:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

SON had a brilliant quarter final- but in years past that wouldn't have been near enough. For me in usually the most competitive line for these selections - that just highlights how bad a season it was.

BerfArmagh

Stephen O neill was brilliant this year. ALso I would have put mulligan or john doyle in ahead of the donegal fella

Doogie Browser

Johnno was pretty shocked that Lacey & Murphy made the team and none of his players made the cut, he looked pretty pissed about it.

lynchbhoy

scanlon played one good game this season and gets picked.
Also not convinced miskella deserves to be on it and pearse oneill. They played well against kerry at start of season. Thought oneill looked inj yesterday, he was very akward when he tried to kick two balls in the first half !

INDIANA

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 21, 2009, 11:32:03 AM
Johnno was pretty shocked that Lacey & Murphy made the team and none of his players made the cut, he looked pretty pissed about it.

Don't think mayo- dublin or meath could have too many complaints

bcarrier

Mike McCarthy and Tommy Walsh will surely get Allstars instead of the two Donegal lads...Donegal had no meaningful impact in the championship ?

Mike McCarthy was hugely influential in gertting Kerry through qualifers and in dealing yesterday with the man who had destroyed Kerry in Cork.

Tommy Walsh played better earlier in season than he was given credit for IMO....and since coming on against Meath has had a huge impact.

Scanlon had more than one good game. Carried Kerry midfield when Darragh wsa getting up to speed.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 21, 2009, 11:49:42 AM
scanlon played one good game this season and gets picked.
Also not convinced miskella deserves to be on it and pearse oneill. They played well against kerry at start of season. Thought oneill looked inj yesterday, he was very akward when he tried to kick two balls in the first half !

Seámus Scanlon has been immense for Kerry since coming back from injury. Has outshone Darragh in every match. O'Connor took some abuse from the terrace when he took off Scanlon in Tralee against Sligo ahead of Darragh.

Quote from: BerfArmagh on September 21, 2009, 10:28:19 AM
Stephen O neill was brilliant this year. ALso I would have put mulligan or john doyle in ahead of the donegal fella

Johnny had a poor enough year by his own high standards. His free taking was very patchy. From a Kildare point of view, Alan Smith and James Kavanagh would be more deserving of All-Star nominations.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on September 21, 2009, 12:02:24 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 21, 2009, 11:32:03 AM

Don't think mayo- dublin or meath could have too many complaints

Mayo's only serious candidates were our minor goalkeeper and Aiden O'Shea and I think it wouldn't do O'Shea's development any good receiving awards before he even starts college. So in conclusion no complaints from the Mayo camp.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

No complaint at all to be honest. Poor season in that we only won Connacht because Galway's form dipped from the previous year for 60 minutes of the game in the Connacht final. I thought T Mortimer could have been given something as he did his damdest (work not skill) against Meath.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Aaron Boone

Agree with D Murphy as goalie choice, Cluxton is nominated for this one most years.
Tyrone's policy of playing Devine & McConnell negates the chances of a Tyrone All Star goalie.

Donegal Exile

Michael Murphy deserves to be chosen - he has the highest scoring average this championship and he did that in spite of Donegals poor form this season. Lacey always one of the best corner backs in the country. Those two lads deserved it.

J70

Quote from: bcarrier on September 21, 2009, 12:07:43 PM
Mike McCarthy and Tommy Walsh will surely get Allstars instead of the two Donegal lads...Donegal had no meaningful impact in the championship ?

Mike McCarthy was hugely influential in gertting Kerry through qualifers and in dealing yesterday with the man who had destroyed Kerry in Cork.

Tommy Walsh played better earlier in season than he was given credit for IMO....and since coming on against Meath has had a huge impact.

Scanlon had more than one good game. Carried Kerry midfield when Darragh wsa getting up to speed.

If the two Kerry lads gave better performances than the Donegal lads, then of course they should be selected ahead of them, but ruling out Donegal or any other players, regardless of the standards they individually reached, merely because their team didn't progress is idiotic. If these awards are there to recognize individual performances, then that is what they should do, regardless of how the teams did. Lacey did a fantastic job on Bradley, Meehan and Goulding (in that game under huge pressure while most of the rest of the team was an absolute rabble) - it wasn't his fault that the other players flopped against Cork or left their shooting boots at home against Antrim.
I hate to keep making this point, but if someone has an argument as to why outstanding performers on lesser teams do not merit recognition in an awards system that is supposed to recognize the top individual performers, then please present it.

SomebodyFixDublinGAA

Ye, bit of a strange pick. Surely Tommy Walsh would be on it seen as he was hugely influencial in the final and when he came on in the semi, scoring some crucial and also brilliant scores.

The two Donegal lads? Very random altogether. Bear in mind that Donegal got beaten by Cork by more or less the same as Dublin did to Kerry and yet no Dublin players are on it, even though the likes of Bernard Brogan would have shone in a similar fashion to the donegal lads in their previous games. I dont think any Dublin players deserve a spot but I certainly dont think any Donegal players do either. Tommy Walsh for Murphy and Marc O Se for Lacey.

And yes the All Star team will be different but not entirely in a good way. Dara O Se will be on it because hes Dara O Se. Hes a great player and all but lets be honest he didnt really do much this yr. Scanlon was the man. He or Dermot Early(best midfielder of the yr) or Nicholas Murphy are sadly gonna loose out because Dara will have to get an all-star

nrico2006

Shields is a surprise inclusion in the team, he conceded alot of scores this year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

INDIANA

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on September 22, 2009, 12:49:26 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2009, 09:41:51 AM
I'd have made room for Cavanagh though, I thought he was Tyrone's best player with O'Neill. Him missing the semi was a huge blow for Tyrone.

Are you taking the piss?? Cavanagh play well in one match this year out of 5 he played well in ONE!! That was the Ulster final against Antrim, in that game he scored 1-4 (Paddy Bradley scored twice that against Monaghan) even in the same game Paddy Cunningham scored 11 points!- not one mention have I seen of him anywhere. Cavanagh had a terrible season, 2 points v Armagh, 1 v Derry, didn't score v Kildare and didn't score against Cork either (he was 'sick' remember). Cavanagh shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as an All-Star of Team of the year this year.

Its not always about you score as a half forward. Wouldn't say paddy kelly scored more than 0-5 in the whole seaosn but still had  a terrific season.