Brendan Hackett

Started by Croí na hÉireann, September 09, 2009, 11:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

I wrote that interview piece, if anyone wants the audio of it - the presser lasted an hour! drop me a PM with your email.

INDIANA

Sounds like another Christian Gross! Way out of touch I'd say on things by the looks of it.

If he regards westmeath as very talented- then maintaining div2 status as a target is a tad of a contradiction.

AZOffaly

Jaysus I don't know if Dessie is a spent force in Westmeath terms. He scored about 1-3 in the first half against Tyrellspass in the semi final there on Sunday.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 17, 2009, 12:13:36 PM
Jaysus I don't know if Dessie is a spent force in Westmeath terms. He scored about 1-3 in the first half against Tyrellspass in the semi final there on Sunday.

I would agree with that but he needs a good rest over the winter. For that reason I hope that whoever comes through from the other side (Lomans or Kinnegad) wins and I've never shouted for either of them in my life...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

It's getting more surreal by the day Lakeside...

Olympic champion links up with Lake County
15 October 2009

by Randal Scally

Olympic boxing champion Michael Carruth has joined new Westmeath football manager Brendan Hackett's backroom team.

The Gold Medallist at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics was unveiled as the team's new masseur at a meeting of over 70 players last night in Kinnegad's Hilamar Hotel. As expected, former county star Michael 'Spike' Fagan was confirmed as a selector, having trained under Hackett when Ireland played Australia in the 1990 International Rules series.

The former Athletics Ireland chief executive, who will combine the manager's role with that of physical trainer, will appoint a second selector in the coming weeks.

The purpose of last night's meeting was for the new manager to outline his plans for the coming season. The players in attendance were nominated by a selection committee headed up by former All-Ireland final referee Paddy Collins, and will take part in a series of trials at Mullingar's Lakepoint Park this coming weekend.

The players will undergo a series of fitness tests the following weekend and will then undertake individual fitness programmes for the closed season of November and December.

A notable absentee from last night's gathering was former All-Star Dessie Dolan, who may not make himself available for selection next season after his father, also Dessie, wasn't considered for the manager's job.

Westmeath chairman Tom Farrell was delighted with the response to what was Hackett's first meeting with the players.

"There was a tremendous turnout. To have over 70 players at the meeting after the season we've just had was fantastic. The players were very impressed with what Brendan had to say. He spelled out things very clearly for them and they now know what's required if they want to get on the county panel next year," he said.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

irunthev

Brendan Hackett's inclusion of Eoin Rheinisch in his backroom team is another interesting development in what promises to be a very interesting year for Westmeath.
Hackett is an expert in his field of both mental and physical preparation for sport, while Carruth is a proven winner at elite amateur level and Rheinisch comes with a proven Olympic pedigree as well as no doubt some very interesting ideas on the preparation of athletes.
This will either sit very easily with the guys in Westmeath and they will enjoy the variations in training and the professionalism that will be brought to the set-up, or they will think it is too far left of centre and end up bitching about it.
Given the performance of the team last year, I hope it will be the former. Experiments like this, and I use the term very loosely and respectfully, as I don't think it is a total shot in the dark, but at the same time, experiments like this is where future development and innovation in sport come from. Ideas and theories need to be tested somewhere.
Looks like Westmeath are going to have the privilege of being the guinea pigs.
Good luck to them.

The Konica

Good points - but I worry for the absence of real or deep football men

INDIANA

Bit aghast really. Sounds like a mad scientists experiment. Written westmeath off already I'm afraid.

Carbery

Quote from: irunthev on October 16, 2009, 03:58:44 PM
Brendan Hackett's inclusion of Eoin Rheinisch in his backroom team is another interesting development in what promises to be a very interesting year for Westmeath.
Hackett is an expert in his field of both mental and physical preparation for sport, while Carruth is a proven winner at elite amateur level and Rheinisch comes with a proven Olympic pedigree as well as no doubt some very interesting ideas on the preparation of athletes.
This will either sit very easily with the guys in Westmeath and they will enjoy the variations in training and the professionalism that will be brought to the set-up, or they will think it is too far left of centre and end up bitching about it.
Given the performance of the team last year, I hope it will be the former. Experiments like this, and I use the term very loosely and respectfully, as I don't think it is a total shot in the dark, but at the same time, experiments like this is where future development and innovation in sport come from. Ideas and theories need to be tested somewhere.
Looks like Westmeath are going to have the privilege of being the guinea pigs.
Good luck to them.

I know they are adding Rugby Sevens and Golf to the Olympic Games - did they also mention Gaelic Fooball?
Good Luck to Westmeath minus Dessie.

The Konica

Do the footballers still have to refer to Brendan Hacket in the Third Person?

irunthev

Quote from: The Konica on October 16, 2009, 07:52:37 PM

If he's a success he will be three persons... The Holy Trinity.

I don't think it is quite "mad scientist", but there's a fair amount of experimentation in there and the risk is that early on that football questions may be asked of him that he can't answer. If that should happen then that's when the project will loose credibility. However, Hackett is a highly intelligent and motivated individual with a high profile in his field. I do not think he would risk his reputation by returning to GAA if he didn't think he had something to offer. The fact that 70 players turned up this weekend for a talk means that there is a fair amount of interest in the new era. One thing for sure, it will be a little more scientific than the chest thumping of Paudi.

Please keep in mind too that Dr Niall Moyna, who is considered to be one of the great innovators of our time in terms of GAA, was actually based in America for many years and therefore not actively involved in the GAA at a high level. However, now he has transformed DCU and has had an input into Dublin and St Vincents and also is a very in-demand coach. These guys have skills that are transferrable and they understand sport and athletes. Most of any sport is a mind game, if Hackett can mentally influence the Westmeath players, then he will have won half the battle before a ball is kicked in anger.

It's going to make very interesting viewing.

The Konica

Quote from: irunthev on October 16, 2009, 08:44:40 PM

I don't think it is quite "mad scientist", but there's a fair amount of experimentation in there and the risk is that early on that football questions may be asked of him that he can't answer. If that should happen then that's when the project will loose credibility. However, Hackett is a highly intelligent and motivated individual with a high profile in his field. I do not think he would risk his reputation by returning to GAA if he didn't think he had something to offer. The fact that 70 players turned up this weekend for a talk means that there is a fair amount of interest in the new era. One thing for sure, it will be a little more scientific than the chest thumping of Paudi.

Please keep in mind too that Dr Niall Moyna, who is considered to be one of the great innovators of our time in terms of GAA, was actually based in America for many years and therefore not actively involved in the GAA at a high level. However, now he has transformed DCU and has had an input into Dublin and St Vincents and also is a very in-demand coach. These guys have skills that are transferrable and they understand sport and athletes. Most of any sport is a mind game, if Hackett can mentally influence the Westmeath players, then he will have won half the battle before a ball is kicked in anger.

Scientists and guru's have failed to make a difference in teams before - you need good football men first.

Moyna a great innovator? In-demand coach? According to who? Himself?

Moyna has had input into Clontibtret, Dublin, Vincents, DCU and Scotstown - lets look at it.

Dublin - Done nothing of significance and in fact they've had to bring in the old strength coach after last years disaster.
Vincents - The coach was primarily Mickey Whelan there
DCU - bought one Sigerson and have failed every year after that and DCU has failed to win anything of significance
Scotstown - Did nothing, brought in a new trainer the next year and he got them to a semi final

I think Hacket has a chance if he can get the footballers on board and prove that he has a good football brain.
I don't think he has helped ease the worries of the football people with the backroom team, but perhaps there's more to be added to the team?

At least it will be an interesting development to watch and to see what the players think.

Certainly after last years debacle.

irunthev

Quote from: The Konica on October 16, 2009, 08:56:57 PM
Quote from: irunthev on October 16, 2009, 08:44:40 PM

Scientists and guru's have failed to make a difference in teams before - you need good football men first.

Moyna a great innovator? In-demand coach? According to who? Himself?

Moyna has had input into Clontibtret, Dublin, Vincents, DCU and Scotstown - lets look at it.

Dublin - Done nothing of significance and in fact they've had to bring in the old strength coach after last years disaster.
Vincents - The coach was primarily Mickey Whelan there
DCU - bought one Sigerson and have failed every year after that and DCU has failed to win anything of significance
Scotstown - Did nothing, brought in a new trainer the next year and he got them to a semi final

I think Hacket has a chance if he can get the footballers on board and prove that he has a good football brain.
I don't think he has helped ease the worries of the football people with the backroom team, but perhaps there's more to be added to the team?

At least it will be an interesting development to watch and to see what the players think.

Certainly after last years debacle.

I agree about the football brain required. Doesn't have to be anyone spectacular as the rest of the backroom will keep the media amused for the whole year but he does need a real thinker, someone who knows the game inside out and can spot the opposition weakness and knows how to exploit it as well as knowing how to hide there own weakness. Then again, I guess every county needs a guy like that I suppose. Not exactly the sort of thing you can pick up in Argos.

The Konica

I'd have thought someone like O'Flaharta would be the perfect 2nd in command for a circus like that ... let the rest of the backroom team take the media spotlight and let the main men get on with it

Bord na Mona man

That's a bizarre back room set up taking shape.
I'd say they'll have drafted in Roddy Collins, Marty Whelan and Donie Cassidy before the league starts.

Here is what Padraig Dunne from the 1982 Offaly team makes of Hackett:
QuoteApart from Eugene McGee I think Brendan Hackett was the best I played under. He could have been a brilliant manager and still could be if he wanted but I think he ended up doing what he really wanted which was athletics. He had everything. He was very good with players and knew what he wanted. We might not have won anything under him but we went very well. Meath beat us in the championship but we were very well prepared, we just flopped on the day. What I saw of Brendan I thought he would go on to win an All-Ireland and he still could some day if he wanted too.

http://www.gaelsport.com/html/club/newfullstory.jsp?c=147&newsID=24566&p=n