Brendan Hackett

Started by Croí na hÉireann, September 09, 2009, 11:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Hope you're right. Not sure I agree though, I think the 2004 team bar a couple of exceptions is winding down and I don't see the obvious replacements

Croí na hÉireann

I hope I'm right too  :P Don't expect to see Flanagan or Healy next year so the oldest members of the team will be 31, should still be enough running in them legs for one more shot at it...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

hate to burst your bubble Croi
but imo Hackett is a sports fitness guru that has a good bit of psychology along with it, but his background isnt really football.

Like a lot of the stuff I post on here, its from memory and I dont or wont have links to draw from, but my first notion of Hckett was when he was a 'physio' running his own practice and gym just of main st /captains hill in Leixlip.

Like McCloskey that coached Derry the guy is a fitness man who may have a relationship with Gaelic games from playing underage but not much into adult if I recall correctly.
I have a feeling that he had a brother that was more into the football.
anyhow, Hackett has learned his 'trade' from being physio, fitness trainer, part of a management team in places then he eventually got the county positions.

Imo the man is a pro, but he lacks the wealth of football knowledge needed to be a top rate manager - that ODwyer, Paudie, Harte, Kernan etc all have.
Conversely Boylan didnt have much football knowledge but he had hurling, plus Boylan was surrounded by generals in cassels, mcentee, Lyons, Harnan, Barry, O'rourke, OMalley, OConnell etc etc
I think with huge effort from westmeath players he coul dhave them fit and mentaly fine tuned. Football wise he will need help. If he hasnt Dessie on the squad, then he may need the likes of Dessie sr on the line withhim. That and a bit of luck could get him by.
He wont lack the effort. Just doesnt speak or know football intuitively like the others mentioned.

Croí na hÉireann

No bubble to burst lynchbhoy, I would share all them concerns you outlined. A lot will depend on the make up of his backroom team. We have the players for one more shot at it, hopefully we get the management team too...

turk

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 09, 2009, 11:42:05 AM
Quote from: drici on September 09, 2009, 11:29:59 AM
His brother Jack who is a priest normally forms part of any backroom team he has.

Must get a stock of shoe polish in so...

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on September 09, 2009, 11:36:01 AM
Flanagan & Dolan Snr will not be happy with that.

Would have liked Dessie Dolan Snr to have got the nod. looks like the Westmeath Council still have issues with him

Flanagan would have been a disaster, would have preferred Dessie myself but there's more than the Co Board who have issues with him, hence the mandate from the clubs to go for someone outside the county...

Hackett was the only name forward for it as well. I remember he was in charge of Offaly back in the early 90s. We had Dublin in the first round in Tullamore. Hackett was interviewed on sports stadium and Mick Dunne (or whoever it was) said to Hackett that he had Offaly very fit. Hackett replied that it was no use in snooker being able to run around the table quickly unless you could pot all the balls. Anyways, Offaly got absolutely trounced.

Hardy

It's hard to Hackett in this racket, even if you're macking a packet.

paddypastit

I know Hackett and in my opinion and experience, he knows more about football, a lot more, than is suggested by some of the comments here. That said I would agree with the point that he would be well served to have a / more than one good football man in his sideline team.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Logan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 10, 2009, 10:37:20 AM
hate to burst your bubble Croi
but imo Hackett is a sports fitness guru that has a good bit of psychology along with it, but his background isnt really football.

Like a lot of the stuff I post on here, its from memory and I dont or wont have links to draw from, but my first notion of Hckett was when he was a 'physio' running his own practice and gym just of main st /captains hill in Leixlip.

Like McCloskey that coached Derry the guy is a fitness man who may have a relationship with Gaelic games from playing underage but not much into adult if I recall correctly.
I have a feeling that he had a brother that was more into the football.
anyhow, Hackett has learned his 'trade' from being physio, fitness trainer, part of a management team in places then he eventually got the county positions.

Imo the man is a pro, but he lacks the wealth of football knowledge needed to be a top rate manager - that ODwyer, Paudie, Harte, Kernan etc all have.
Conversely Boylan didnt have much football knowledge but he had hurling, plus Boylan was surrounded by generals in cassels, mcentee, Lyons, Harnan, Barry, O'rourke, OMalley, OConnell etc etc
I think with huge effort from westmeath players he coul dhave them fit and mentaly fine tuned. Football wise he will need help. If he hasnt Dessie on the squad, then he may need the likes of Dessie sr on the line withhim. That and a bit of luck could get him by.
He wont lack the effort. Just doesnt speak or know football intuitively like the others mentioned.
Agree with all that

Maroon Heaven

Would fancy Westmeath to come out of the blocks early under him. Might have a wee check at O'Byrne cup prices. The gym in Bloomfield will be getting alot of use before Christmas I'm sure. I know in O'Flaharta's first year as manager he put a big effort into physical and mental preparation. A few senior lads in the squad didn't like it, and favored the Tyrone approach of more ball drills

Jinxy

Hackett relishing new role
15 September 2009

New Westmeath football boss Brendan Hackett has dismissed suggestions that the Lake County are a spent force.

Westmeath's dramatic declines in fortunes this year would suggest that Hackett has a major rebuilding job on his hands, but speaking at his unveiling to the media in Mullingar on Sunday, the former chief executive of Athletics Ireland insisted that there is plenty of talent and potential in the county.

"I'd regard Westmeath as very talented. If you're playing Division 1 football and you've won Division 2 titles, you are very talented," he said.

And he is confident that there won't be wholesale retirements in the wake of a disastrous 2009 for the Lake County.

"There are a lot of them that have won Leinster titles - you try to keep that talent.

"I always say don't judge a book by its cover. People are getting a sense of Brendan Hackett by what they are hearing from other people, but they are not actually opening the covers to see what's inside."

The Monaghan native also believes the job is not just about managing the senior footballers.

"I would see it as director of football as well," he added.

"I said it to Des Maguire (football board chairman) and Tom Farrell (county board chairman), if you just see Brendan Hackett as just managing the senior football team, you are wasting an opportunity, because Brendan Hackett can offer so much more because of the background and experience I have."

:D :D :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

From Westmeath notes...

FOOTBALL MANAGER
Following a meeting of the Football Board and the County Board last Tuesday eve Mr. Brendan Hackett was ratified as manager of the Westmeath Senior County Football team for a period of three years. Mr Hackett caries extensive knowledge with him into this position having been involved in inter county management before and more recently through his involvement with Athletics Ireland where he held the position of Chief Executive.
Speaking to the local media in Cusack Park last Sunday after the Semi-final he outlined his Goals and ambitions for Westmeath GAA over the next three years, firstly he thanked the Westmeath County Board for giving him the honour of managing the Westmeath Senior football before going on to explain what he felt his role involved. He said his main role was to create a high performance environment in which teams playing senior football will be prepared to the highest standard.
He will create a transparent system for the selection of the Senior Football Panel, his main aim is
: to maintain Div 2 NFL status (which he felt is crucial for the development of football within the county).
: Perform to the highest ability in the LSFC
: Win at least 2 games in the Qualifiers (if necessary)

He also said he would like to meet with the clubs as he felt that players should play as much club football as possible.

Not exactly setting that bar high with them aims for the year. One former player reckons he's a disaster and it has been reported that some Westmeath players are considering "early retirement" after Dessie Dolan Snr wasn't granted an interview for the manager's post. Things can only go one way from here. As for referring to yourself in the third person,  ::)

Jinxy

I look forward to reading more interviews with Brendan Hackett where he talks about Brendan Hackett.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Logan

Eoghan Mag

Does anyone remember the last time that Dessie Dolan was fit for 3 games in a row for Westmeath? I'd love Hackett to get all the players fit for a start and if they cannot stay fit cut away the drift wood. Dolan at this current time is a spent force. I think Hackett may actually need to pry players from sports like rugby and soccer to gleen the talent to mount a challenge in Westmeath ranks before he starts any plans.

If Hackett wants to start on a positive note he should point out that if The Blizzards from Mullingar can be the first decent band to make it on the national stage since Joe Dolan then there is no reason why Westmeath football cannot make the same leap!  ;)

Shane MacGowan

I dont know about this.. Good job his brother is a priest allthough westmeath were that bad last year you'd want to set up a religion for them never mind prayers... Hopefully he brings something fresh to the camp because we do have good backs but I'd have to disagree about the midfield. Our best Midfielder last year played for 30 mins in 1 game....