All Ireland Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipp - 4 in a row for Kilkenny ?

Started by orangeman, August 30, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

In fairness if you watch a re-run just look at how poor at least 5 of the kilkenny players were yesterday.
A couple of the kilkenny lads down the club last night thought Cody was blessed. They reckon he'd have been spit rosted had they lost yesterday. fogarty, Rice, Lyng, Hogan and even Tyrell were miles off the pace yesterday. Even the liikes of Brennan, Tennyson, Henry and Power floated in and out.

People couldn't understand how Richie Hogan was taken off. Granted it worked out well but I think he got a bit lucky yesterday. But as I said the best managers are always lucky!

theskull1

In fairness the great Henry alway had the odd off day. Sure he was the same at Arsenal
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

achtungantrim

the better team lost on the day. kilkenny were lucky with the penalty. no doubt about it. as for the sending off, did dunn actually strike walsh? i only saw the replay a couple of times and i wasn't 100% whether a connection was made. it was a bit of a wild pull though.

i think the ref was dying for the cats to make it 4 in a row, to tally with the 125 year celebrations and all that. galway or tipp are gonna step up next year. i don't think kilkenny have enough in them. too many players lacked sharpness in the final. i'm still at a loss as to how kilkenny won that game.

Rawhide

I thought there was two seriously dangerous tackles that happen yesterday that the ref never even attempted to book the player. Both were when Tipp players were coming up from collecting balls off the ground, when a kilkenny player came in at full tilt and hit them in the head erea with their shoulder, extremely dangerous and not a word from the ref. I was left speechless at it. Dunnes pull was just savage, no attempt to play the ball and all intent in hitting the head area, he should get a year for that naked violence.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Joxer

In Fennellys speech he give a list of the backroom team.  Anyone know it?

Also was looking there for the interview with Martin Fogarty that the Sunday game showed before the game?  Cant find it anywhere,  Anyone got a link?

robbedin82

EddieMerx

Quote from: achtungantrim on September 07, 2009, 01:24:17 PM
the better team lost on the day. kilkenny were lucky with the penalty. no doubt about it. as for the sending off, did dunn actually strike walsh? i only saw the replay a couple of times and i wasn't 100% whether a connection was made. it was a bit of a wild pull though.

i think the ref was dying for the cats to make it 4 in a row, to tally with the 125 year celebrations and all that. galway or tipp are gonna step up next year. i don't think kilkenny have enough in them. too many players lacked sharpness in the final. i'm still at a loss as to how kilkenny won that game.

Seriously you cannot question the sending off! As I have said before even if it wasn't a penalty KK would have been a point behind with 10 minutes still left on the clock, It would be very hard to see them holding out from there with only 14 men. Tipp lost this game more than Kilkenny won it! Reckless shooting when they had Kilkenny on the ropes was the big reason combined with a moment of madness by Benny. Write this Cats team off at your peril, Galway I have been hearing since I was a chap are the coming team - I am still waiting. Tipp have a very fine team but we all know that Kelly and Corbett are injury prone and the loss of either would be hard to be replaced.

gorm agus bui

No question whether connection was madee. I was sitting about 25 yards from it and you could hear the clash of the hurley on the helmet. Pure recklessness which was costly in the extreme.
Must say however that for pure drama, excitement, skill, commitment I have never been at anything like it including ourselves winning AIF in 1991/4 ( football)
Was down with the wife and we were both rooting for Tipp but you can only admire the tenacity and never say die attitude of Cats.
Thought the better individuals were on the Tipp team such as meahger, Callinan, Corbett and Kelly but they'll be back, I hope

orangeman

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 07, 2009, 01:36:36 PM

Seriously you cannot question the sending off! As I have said before even if it wasn't a penalty KK would have been a point behind with 10 minutes still left on the clock, It would be very hard to see them holding out from there with only 14 men. Tipp lost this game more than Kilkenny won it! Reckless shooting when they had Kilkenny on the ropes was the big reason combined with a moment of madness by Benny. Write this Cats team off at your peril, Galway I have been hearing since I was a chap are the coming team - I am still waiting. Tipp have a very fine team but we all know that Kelly and Corbett are injury prone and the loss of either would be hard to be replaced.

+1

Tipp played out of their skins yesterday. Kilkenny played without about 5/6 lads not performing to their best, especially Henry who was anonymous from play. This is why Tipp got so close. In order for Tipp to beat KK, they'll have to play the same way again plus take their chances and hope that KK underperform slightly.

But it does look that Tipp are the most likely to break the cycle.

But something in Cody's reaction told me that they'll be back again next year and will take the beating again.

BTW - i'm reading about Benny Dunne's pull across Tommy Walsh. What will he get for this ? 4 weeks ?

achtungantrim

ok, the sending off was deserved. and i have to agree it was a great match. when hurling is played like that there isn't a sport on this planet to match it. i hope someone new steps up to the plate next year. or, cody should just retire and make it a more open competition ;D

AZOffaly

If Tipp had won, I think Cody would have stepped down. Not out of shame but because he'd be starting back at square one. Now that they've won 4, I expect him to stay for 5, unless he feels that they won't make it. He has a book out this year I think, which is usually the sign that an era is ending, but who knows with this great manager?

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2009, 01:53:34 PM
If Tipp had won, I think Cody would have stepped down. Not out of shame but because he'd be starting back at square one. Now that they've won 4, I expect him to stay for 5, unless he feels that they won't make it. He has a book out this year I think, which is usually the sign that an era is ending, but who knows with this great manager?

He's not going anywhere - he's going ot be around for a good while I reckon. Hurling is in the blood and hard to get rid of it.

AZOffaly

I disagree. I think he'll stay until they are beaten, and then he'll bring the curtain down, unless the curcumstances of the defeat leave him angry or vengeful. I think he'll move on to club/underage. He's there 10 years, that's an awful long time at the summit.

orangeman

He'll be there until HE decides he's had enough. I think he's now in the mould of Ferguson and could be around a good while.

In victory yesterday, he was riled by Marty Morrissey's questioning of the penalty.

Can you imagine what he would be like if he was bate in a final ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on September 07, 2009, 02:15:07 PM
He'll be there until HE decides he's had enough. I think he's now in the mould of Ferguson and could be around a good while.

In victory yesterday, he was riled by Marty Morrissey's questioning of the penalty.

Can you imagine what he would be like if he was bate in a final ?

If he was beaten, he'd be just like he always has been. Gracious and complimentary of the winners. He was just annoyed at Marty being a tool.