All Ireland Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipp - 4 in a row for Kilkenny ?

Started by orangeman, August 30, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Tipp won 18 frees
KK won 8

Yet both sides were as brilliantly aggressive in the tackle as each other. I though the referee had a great game but just like all the players he made a few mistakes the penalty being one of them. But what about Callinans & Eoin Kelly's "mistakes". Benny Dunnes "mistake". What about the wides when they went 3 up going into the last quarter? The game was there to be won and Tipp people would be better to focus on there own failings which cost them the game rather than hone in on what was an excellent refereeing performance overall, and focus on one poor decision. If they work on those they'll be all the better next year and that I look forward to. They played their part in a fantastic game and for what is a young team, they can take great heart from that.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 07, 2009, 09:14:31 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 06, 2009, 09:28:45 PM
Lads that decision cost Tipp the bloody game. a 21 yard free with 8 defenders on the line is not the same as a penalty. The ref cannot have had a good game with a decision like that. It was one of the worst calls I ever seen. I've watched it about 6 times now- and it was actually a free out.

Free in Indy, he was being dragged out of before he got into the box.  You must have lost big money on this game as you seem more upset about the result than most Tipp people I know. Tipp can't blame the Ref for this, they dominated KK for 60 minutes of the game and were unable to finish Kilkenny off.

It was a free out- power took 6 steps before there was a hint of  free. Watched it 6/7 times now. How in Gods creation with the view he had the ref gave a penalty is a mystery to everyone. Despite letting 4/5 yellow card offences go scot free, someone gets a penalty for nothing which changed the game.
Dunne was sent off in the 52nd minute , kilkenny hadn't a clue what to do with the spare man. It actually disrupted them completely. The penalty was awarded in the 62nd minute. Tipp were still 2 up and hurling well, and the game turned on that decison. It was a brutal call. If you're not sure, you can't give it. Thats the rule as a ref. Too many games are turning on bad decisions. We've very few refs getting these calls right in big games and in fairness it wasn't that difficult a call to make.
Yeah and I did lose a few quid on it!

sammymaguire

Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2009, 09:50:36 PM
I also think that Michael Kavanagh carried the ball over the line for the 2nd goal. I'm almost sure the ball crossed the line for a split second.

I'm with you on this, the ball did cross the sideline in my opinion although the lineman could not see as he was behind the player but yes, this also turned out to be a crucial decision as Comerford buried the back in the back of the net 20 seconds later
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

INDIANA

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 07, 2009, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on September 06, 2009, 09:50:36 PM
I also think that Michael Kavanagh carried the ball over the line for the 2nd goal. I'm almost sure the ball crossed the line for a split second.

I'm with you on this, the ball did cross the sideline in my opinion although the lineman could not see as he was behind the player but yes, this also turned out to be a crucial decision as Comerford buried the back in the back of the net 20 seconds later

He was out but the ball wasn't. I don't know what the rule is on that. It looked to me Kavanagh had the ball infield.

AZOffaly

Same as that Indiana. Kavanagh was out, but he kept the ball in. Did well to keep it in actually.

EddieMerx

I agree it wasn't a penalty but I do feel it was a free in, Tipp should have won this game - They shot some crazy wides from crazy positions when they were on top. I just think it is very easy to blame the ref when he let quiet a bit go on each side and yes he made one major screw up but to say that is the only reason Tipp lost is wrong. The penalty wasn't the last puck of the game and there was 10 minutes left. Lets just say it was a free in and Henry pointed then the gap was 1, 14 men holding out against 15 for 10 minutes would have been a serious ask for Tipp

AZOffaly

The whole Kilkenny full back line were uncomfortable for a good while but they kept at it. Eoin Kelly, Noel McGrath and Lar Corbett scored 9 points from play between them, and Kelly should have had a goal as well. All in all, I'd say JJ Delaney will want Hickey to come back into number 3.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2009, 09:59:17 AM
Quote from: EddieMerx on September 07, 2009, 09:14:31 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 06, 2009, 09:28:45 PM
Lads that decision cost Tipp the bloody game. a 21 yard free with 8 defenders on the line is not the same as a penalty. The ref cannot have had a good game with a decision like that. It was one of the worst calls I ever seen. I've watched it about 6 times now- and it was actually a free out.

Free in Indy, he was being dragged out of before he got into the box.  You must have lost big money on this game as you seem more upset about the result than most Tipp people I know. Tipp can't blame the Ref for this, they dominated KK for 60 minutes of the game and were unable to finish Kilkenny off.

It was a free out- power took 6 steps before there was a hint of  free. Watched it 6/7 times now. How in Gods creation with the view he had the ref gave a penalty is a mystery to everyone. Despite letting 4/5 yellow card offences go scot free, someone gets a penalty for nothing which changed the game.
Dunne was sent off in the 52nd minute , kilkenny hadn't a clue what to do with the spare man. It actually disrupted them completely. The penalty was awarded in the 62nd minute. Tipp were still 2 up and hurling well, and the game turned on that decison. It was a brutal call. If you're not sure, you can't give it. Thats the rule as a ref. Too many games are turning on bad decisions. We've very few refs getting these calls right in big games and in fairness it wasn't that difficult a call to make.
Yeah and I did lose a few quid on it!

Maybe its time to have more refs on the field and use video replay for the big decisions.  I know it might slow down the game a bit but it might cut out these bad decisions.  Look there has been talk for ages about having a second ref in soccer, now take hurling which has 8 more players on a larger pitch with a small ball and is played at a frantic pace.  Its hard for one man to keep up for 70 minutes and see everything.

EddieMerx

Subs: TJ Reid (0-1) for Fogarty (49), M Fennelly (0-01) for Lyng (51),M Comerford (1-00) for Hogan (55)

Subs: B Dunne for O'Brien (46), W Ryan for Kerwick (65), M Webster for Woodlock (68)

johnneycool

It was as good as game as expected and unlike Limerick and Waterford Tipp will know its one they could and should have won. Thought Conor O'Mahoney had an outstanding game for Tipp along with Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbett. The Tipp midfielders seemed intent on running with the ball on the limited possession they had and it wasn't working for them. They needed to get early ball into Kelly who'd the better of JJ for long periods rather than running into the KK half back line. Those short puck outs were ropey enough at times and a lot of times the recipients delivery wouldn't have been much further or accurate than Cummins' anyway.

Could someone at the game tell me, did the Tipp half forwards attempt to stay out the field, leaving Walsh in particular to play deep in front of his fullback line in the first half in particular? It looked like it on the goggle box, but its very hard to tell but he seemed to be getting onto a lot of ball with no one near him.

As for the ref, I thought he done well enough and maybe you could argue over the penalty/non penalty, Callinan frontal charge, Kavanagh ball over line, Maher face guard grab, Kelly possibly fouling the ball whilst taking a 21 yard free, and numerous pulls and slaps that you see given by referee's in other instances and he was fairly consistent in his decision making but I have to say Kilkenny do seem to be the masters of the wee niggly tugs and slaps which may seem a bit tedious for a referee to blow but nonetheless are enough to hinder an opponent in either rising or striking the ball. In one instance yesterday involving Kelly and Delaney, Kelly had been tugged twice then JJ gave him a wee slap on the elbow and upper arm before he could rise the ball and to be fair to the referee you'd be hard pushed to give a free for any of them. All teams have lads who have that bit of cuteness but the cats seem to have it down to a fine art.

orangeman

19 frees awarded to Tipp.

8 to KK.

Were KK serial offenders and/ or less disciplined than Tipp ?

maddog

I know jack shite about the small ball but are Kilkenny the Tyrone of hurling ? They hunted in packs and spoiled all day. I thought Tipp were better side, robbed by ref i.e never a penalty. That said fair play for Kilkenny the true mark of champions is being able to take the opportunity when it arises and by god they did that.
Tipp full back MOM for me.

maxpower

What happens next????

INDIANA

Thought sheedy totallly outplayed cody on the line tactically. Took Cody far too long to make changes. kilkenny forwards and mdfield were largely cleaned out. Just got plain dumb lucky.
Then again the best managers are always the lucky ones ;D. Cha must be going awful bad not to get on yesterday because kilkenny were anonymous at midfield

EddieMerx

Subs: TJ Reid (0-1) for Fogarty (49), M Fennelly (0-01) for Lyng (51),M Comerford (1-00) for Hogan (55)

Subs: B Dunne for O'Brien (46), W Ryan for Kerwick (65), M Webster for Woodlock (68)

Not really that bad a performance from Coady