All Ireland Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipp - 4 in a row for Kilkenny ?

Started by orangeman, August 30, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMerx

Indy frankly you are clutching at straws here, KK played Tipp 3 times this year and won 3 times. Is that not proof enough that they are even a tiny bit better than Tipp! Just give them credit for their victory and let the Mighty Tipp reign supreme next year and for many years to come

bottlethrower7

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 08, 2009, 02:04:51 PM
Indy frankly you are clutching at straws here, KK played Tipp 3 times this year and won 3 times. Is that not proof enough that they are even a tiny bit better than Tipp! Just give them credit for their victory and let the Mighty Tipp reign supreme next year and for many years to come

ha ha. Well said. Kilkenny beat Tipp 3 times this year and somehow Tipp are a better team (but in a sense thats more derogatory to Kilkenny than complimentary to Tipperary). Incredible logic really.

orangeman

IMO KK did get out of jail a wee bit on Sunday. But the story of the game was the last 10 minutes where KK were being beat by 3 points and went on and won the game by 5, an 8 point swing. Ok the penatly was dodgy enough, but it was an 8 point swing and not a 3 point swing. A penalty only counts as 3 and even if it were only a free in and Henry had taken a point, I sincerely believe that KK's tails were well and truly up, Tipp had been reduced to 14 and that KK were going to go on and win the game anyway.

The ref let everything go but still awarded 19 frees to Tipp and Eoin Kelly had a lot of target practice. KK got 8 frees. I'm not sure if the free count was fair or not. You'd probably have to back through the game and analyse every single decision which won't get us anywhere.

I've said this already - Tipp played out of their skins, played their best hurling in years and still came up 5 points short. KK underperformed for long periods and still won.

INDIANA

that doesn't change the fact that at the 62nd minute Tipp were 2 points up. None of you have any response it seems to that.

gallsman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 02:33:57 PM

that doesn't change the fact that at the 62nd minute Tipp were 2 points up. None of you have any response it seems to that.

I responded several times. I also pointed out that Tipp got two points from frees that never were and you haven't responded.

EddieMerx

Congrats Tipp ??? now keep it going for 70 ;)

INDIANA

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 08, 2009, 02:14:23 PM

ha ha. Well said. Kilkenny beat Tipp 3 times this year and somehow Tipp are a better team (but in a sense thats more derogatory to Kilkenny than complimentary to Tipperary). Incredible logic really.

Jesus BT I'd have expected better from yourself . Putting words in my mouth really doesn't do you any favours.
Quote from: theskull1 on September 08, 2009, 02:01:31 PM
Indiana you can jump on the bandwagon all you like and focus solely on the referees mistakes which suit your argument

But what about Callinans & Eoin Kelly's "mistakes"? Benny Dunnes "mistake"? What about the wides when they went 3 up going into the last quarter? The game was there to be won and Tipp people would be better to focus on there own failings which cost them the game rather than hone in on what was an excellent refereeing performance overall, and focus on one poor decision. If they work on those they'll be all the better next year and that I look forward to. They played their part in a fantastic game and for what is a young team, they can take great heart from that.

Of course that won't get you your money back  :)

It won't get my money back unfortunately :D but they may not get back their next year. I just think its incredible that in 2009 that we still don't have video refs. I think it would have gone down to the wire without the decison. But i can't say that for sure because I'm not a clairvoyant like BT. Who apparently can say with certainty that Kilkenny would have won the game anyway, but can't tell me the Lotto numbers for the weekend to get some of my money back!
Incredible logic as he would say himself!

gallsman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 02:41:11 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 08, 2009, 02:14:23 PM

Jesus BT I'd have expected better from yourself . Putting words in my mouth really doesn't do you any favours.
Quote from: theskull1 on September 08, 2009, 02:01:31 PM
Indiana you can jump on the bandwagon all you like and focus solely on the referees mistakes which suit your argument

But what about Callinans & Eoin Kelly's "mistakes"? Benny Dunnes "mistake"? What about the wides when they went 3 up going into the last quarter? The game was there to be won and Tipp people would be better to focus on there own failings which cost them the game rather than hone in on what was an excellent refereeing performance overall, and focus on one poor decision. If they work on those they'll be all the better next year and that I look forward to. They played their part in a fantastic game and for what is a young team, they can take great heart from that.

Of course that won't get you your money back  :)

It won't get my money back unfortunately :D but they may not get back their next year. I just think its incredible that in 2009 that we still don't have video refs. I think it would have gone down to the wire without the decison. But i can't say that for sure because I'm not a clairvoyant like BT. Who apparently can say with certainty that Kilkenny would have won the game anyway, but can't tell me the Lotto numbers for the weekend to get some of my money back!

You still haven't acknowledged my posts.

INDIANA

Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2009, 01:39:48 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 01:33:28 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2009, 11:48:15 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 11:40:24 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 08, 2009, 11:34:22 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 11:31:25 AM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 08, 2009, 11:21:39 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 11:19:38 AM
It was a major turning point of the game and a rank bad decision. The fact remains at the 62nd minute of the game Tipp were 2 points up, after a bad decision they were a point down. If thats not a turning point obviously then the Battle of Stalingrad in the 2nd World War was just a footnote!

We'll never know now who would have won even if BT is arrogant enough to think he's a fortune teller now. Have you got the lotto numbers at the weekend by any chance?

It was a turning point. My point is that it was an irrelevance because the balance of play shifted in Kilkenny's favour and would have regardless of the penalty.

gallman, again, well said.

If the play had shifted in their favour. Why had Noel Mc Grath scored a point to put  Tipp 2 up less than 20 seconds earlier. By the way thats a fact, not conjecture or opinion.

Like I said because there was a load of confusion over a man lying on the ground down the field! Now you're going to tell me Noel McGrath was having a significant influence on the outcome of the match.

No I'm simply stating the facts that Tipp were 2 up at the time of the penalty when allegedly kilkenny were in the ascendency.

Grand, so they're two points up and Kilkenny score a point from a 21 yard free. This leaves them a point behind with an extra man with ten minutes to go. The notion that Tipp were nailed on certs to win until the penalty is ridiculous.

Sorry it was a free out. How is that a 21 yard free? Have you got the lotto numbers for the weekend?

Fine, then Kelly's point for the "foul" by Kavanagh doesn't count either. Nor does the one from the free Kelly got after the "foul" on Corbett by Hogan. See where I'm going here???

Thought the kavanagh one was a foul really. Don't recall the other but sure I'll have a look at it.
Certainty the kavanagh one was far more of a free than the power penalty, where I'm still struggling to see how a penalty was ever awarded.

Look for me it runied the game. And not because I lost that much money on it. It would have been interesting to see down the stretch who'd have won. We didn't get that chance thanks to that decison in my view.
And that is a shame.

EddieMerx

The way I see it Indy, no penalty on 62 mins but a 21 yard free in (you can argue all you want but as pointed out earlier we can take away a few Tipp frees)

62 mins - KK 1 point down and Tipp down to 14

10 minutes to go and I think that the best Tipp could have got out of this game was a replay. It's common sense to think that in those 10 mins the 15 men of KK would have pulled away (which they did after the goal anyway)

bottlethrower7

Quote from: EddieMerx on September 08, 2009, 02:36:07 PM

Congrats Tipp ??? now keep it going for 70 ;)

they're lobbying for a video ref. Maybe they can tack this on too - make it a 62-minute game. 31-minute halfs because 62 is some kind of magic number or other down Tipp way.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 02:41:11 PM

well no, not that they would have won with certainty. I actually said we'd never know that. All we know for sure is what happened. What I actually said was that there was 10 minutes left. Kilkenny had an extra man. If the penalty had have been a free with a point the outcome, that Kilkenny would likely have had the upper-hand (despite Tipps 2 post-sending-off 'against the run of play' points) in the closing stages in the game. The rest is, as you said, just putting words in my mouth.

theskull1

Indy, yes tipp were up by two points after 3 poor wides and two good goal chances fluffed. You can say that Eoin Kelly slipped, but he may have bottled it inside, same with Callinan going to the keepers good side instead of burying it low to the left. All these instances maybe showed that Tipp as a team didn't have it in them to close the game out due to their inexperience on the big day. But we'll never know because it was the referees fault they lost :P
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

GalwayBayBoy

I actually thought Tipp were still playing very well even down to 14 men. The penalty just killed them though. I think it broke their spirit and mentally they were done at that point. They were probably still feeling sorry for themselves when they were caught out quickly again for the second Kilkenny goal. They left so much space back there for the first time all afternoon it just looked like their heads had gone at that point. No better team than Kilkenny of course to exploit that little lack of concentration.

EddieMerx

Quote from: INDIANA on September 08, 2009, 02:47:34 PM

Thought the kavanagh one was a foul really. Don't recall the other but sure I'll have a look at it.

This coming from the guy who has watched the game live and twice on replay!!! lets hope you are not the video ref ;)